Zach Wants Help...But Wont Help??? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zach Wants Help...But Wont Help???

Just so every one is on the same page Miami is trying to give Zach a contract extension which will keep him in South Florida probably for the rest of his career and which will lower his cap number for the '03 season.

As I stated a month ago, Zach already has a contract and he won't be a free agent until next year. It's entirely possible that he doesn't want to be locked into Miami long-term and he might want to test the market especially if he doesn't feel like Miami will be a Super Bowl contender any time soon. It's certainly in his right to honor his contract and test the market next year if he is under the impression Miami want him to sign long-term for way under market value.

Now there is a huge difference between contract extension and a restructure. Brookings just signed a contract with a $10.5M bonus. If Miami gives Zach an extension with a $10.5M bonus that number is way under market value. Zach is due a base of $4.7M this year so if he waits until next year and gets the $10.5M he makes $15.2M. If he takes the $10.5M this year his base goes to the minimum of $655K which cost Zach nearly $4M in real dollars.

The difficult thing is we need him to extend to get us some manuever room under the cap. If he doesn't then any plans this off-season are shot, short of cutting Zach and immediately freeing up $4.7M.

As Miami fans we need to pray something gets workout as it will have major implication on this off-season.

Originally posted by Aqua
The difficult thing is we need him to extend to get us some manuever room under the cap. If he doesn't then any plans this off-season are shot.

As Miami fans we need to pray something gets workout as it will have major implication on this off-season.

Tell that to Van....

He seems to think that the extra cap room we'll get by re-structuring Zach wont make any difference....

At least that's the impression I'm getting from Van.....

Van???.....Care to add any new "anal" thoughts????

PHINZ RULE!!!:fire:

Psst! Blitz.....I heard the bills will still be waaay under the cap for 2004. It's not too late to join us. I'll put in a good word for ya.

just a fan zach if ever leave here he is goingo to win a SB ring not to loose 4 in a row :rolleyes:

Originally posted by e.vedder
just a fan zach if ever leave here he is goingo to win a SB ring not to loose 4 in a row :rolleyes:
clear.gif

Originally posted by justafan
Or you could switch sports and cheer for the Heat. Actually I like Olivers suggestion better than mine.

I'm a HEAT fan! :D

Oliver...

Aqua I understand that Zack might want to play for another team next year so he doesn't want to lock in long term. But when you start talking about the numbers you lose me.

Brookings just signed a contract with a $10.5M bonus. If Miami gives Zach an extension with a $10.5M bonus that number is way under market value. Zach is due a base of $4.7M this year so if he waits until next year and gets the $10.5M he makes $15.2M.

As I understand it the Phins don't want to give Zack a huge signing bonus and thats what he wants.

Originally posted by Oliver
I'm a HEAT fan! :D

Oliver...

Why don't you switch coaches. Wanny coaches the heat and Riley the fins.

Zach counts 6.9 Million agianst our cap this year...

I'm a big fan of Zach Thomas, but I honestly think he's very replaceable and if push comes to shove, let's fill the spot cheap and go after some FAs.

I'd rather have two avg lb's getting 70 tackels each than Zack getting 110 and Deadwood getting 30.

OMG Blitz, this is the dumbest thread you've ever written. Because Zach hasn't accepted a contract extension in the span of a couple of weeks he's a cancer?!?! That makes absolutely no sense.

Of course the guy wants the team to win but it's not like he's currently being paid among the top five LB's in the league, and he's one of the top two or three.

One thing you fail to realize in this thread full of angst, anger, and irrational thought, is that the NFL, first and foremost, is a business and if ZT doesn't look out for himself, no one else- especially not the 'Fins- is going to do it for him. Eventually, both sides will come up with an amicable agreement, but it might take a bit of time.

I'm not sure exactly what you expect here; for Zach to just say, "OK, guys, pay me the minimum so we can run out there and win, win, win!!" ? If it is, that's so far removed from reality that it's not even funny. The reality here, amigo, is that this is a negotiation between two opposing parties in a business relationship and they have very different interests. In any type of business negotiation, both sides are always looking to get over on the other, so things have to start out far apart and work their way towards the middle where everyone leaves feeling like they were screwed just a bit. If one side walks away too happy, then the other side got screwed completely.

In a utopian society, all of these guys would be playing for candy, beer, and the love of the game but, unfortunately, this is not a utopian society and these guys are playing for their livelyhoods so cut the guy some slack here.

I'm seeing that more of you are starting to come around now....

Answer One Question For Me Please
==========================
Where would Zach be without our brick wall DT's T. Bowens and L. Chester plugging the middle for him???.....

He'd be flat on his ass, that where!!!.....

PHINZ RULE!!!

Originally posted by Expo88
OMG Blitz, this is the dumbest thread you've ever written. Because Zach hasn't accepted a contract extension in the span of a couple of weeks he's a cancer?!?! That makes absolutely no sense.

Of course the guy wants the team to win but it's not like he's currently being paid among the top five LB's in the league, and he's one of the top two or three.

***WARNING***

Another Zach groupie in the house....:rolleyes:

You sound just like Van....

Both of you are saying I called Zach a cancer because he wont re-structure. That is simply not true....I never said that's why I think he's "becoming" a cancer.

The word "becoming", meaning that it hasn't happend yet, but is certainly heading in that direction....

Z. Thomas isn't even in the top 10 MLB IMO, let alone the top 5....

Put him on another team, one without DT's like the ones we have, and he's nothing compared to what he is here behind Bowens and Chester.

Those are just the facts amigo..... :D

PHINZ RULE!!!:fire:

Back
Top Bottom