Zach Wilson or Justin Fields at 3? Any issues? | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zach Wilson or Justin Fields at 3? Any issues?

And now we wait to see what we have. Pretty sure there's more to being a good QB than having elite size, arm, and athleticism otherwise Cam Newton would be the best QB the world has ever seen and Brady and Brees would be career backups.
We saw a rookie quarterback that made good decisions. I know game manager has a somewhat negative connotation, but that's important.

With the talent around him, I thought Tua did fairly well. Miami's running backs probably rank 32nd in the NFL and the Dolphins wide receivers are in that neighborhood as well.

You know I watched that Coastal Carolina game for Zach Wilson again, and for all the criticism of him going out there and losing to them, that final drive was really something.

I mean that was a full-on Kevin Dyson situation that final throw. And Zach made some BIG time throws on that drive to get them there.

I thought the previous drive felt very much like a real, "OK, now it's go time!" drive, but then the coach essentially took the drive out of Zach's hands which I thought very perplexing.

I have to admit...I've talked about Zach's strengths and his weaknesses in the past...but as much as people turn that CC game into a negative, the ending was a positive data point in my accounting. And it may have sort of gotten my gears turning the other direction on him.

Been saying over and over if competition makes players better than adding serious competition at the QB position is in the BEST INTERESTS of the team!

Tua is obviously more developmental than finished product and no matter how many times you hard blink or wish on a stack of footballs he is physically limited -- and his upside is therefore at least partially limited based on that "measurable fact."

We're talking about the future of the team and in the best interests of the team I believe it's unwise to unequivocally entrust the future to Tua (based on his "audition") when we have an opportunity to:

#1 hedge our bet and add serious competition to the most critical position in football

#2 add quality depth and talent to the most critical position in football

#3 add quality developmental talent (upside) to the most critical position in football (a very liquid NFL asset)

#4 add additional long term value at to the most critical position in football

#5 add superior athleticism to the most critical position in football

That said, none of this is dismissing Tua and his NFL potential. To the contrary, if the kid is a serious competitor and has the capacity to rise to the challenge -- this move will only make him better. And if this move exposes certain limitations and liabilities -- the sooner we find out the better. I just want SERIOUS COMPETITION on the roster and we're in a unique situation (opportunity) to accomplish that at the most critical position in football!

I'm very excited about the potential of adding a kid like Wilson. I see some potential NFL magic in that kids game. As far as Fields, he is certainly the type of athlete (and core skill set) that can be developed to ultimately compete in today's NFL with kids like Allen and Mahomes. I like 'em both and see ZERO reason we can't be aggressive and really reach for the ring where it matters most.

Beyond that >>> we have more than sufficient draft ammo to address additional talent in multiple positions (that so many are horny for). So we're not giving up the future with a choice like this --- we're INSURING the future and making the HIGHEST VALUE pick with a pick no one had anticipated! For gawds sakes -- #3 in the draft and it's a GIFT! Treat it as such and don't be stingy or conservative!

Last edited:
I'm like seriously drooling watching this!

Kids release. Whip arm. Tight throws. (Check out his tall ball attack and see with Gesicki, Parker, Williams and new stud WR addition). Kid has some wheels. Legit edge threat. Can extend. Keeps eyes downfield. Composure. Gets his yards attacking downfield not via YAC. Etc. No effing way I wanna use #3 on an on OT LOL!

Last edited:
You know I watched that Coastal Carolina game for Zach Wilson again, and for all the criticism of him going out there and losing to them, that final drive was really something.

I mean that was a full-on Kevin Dyson situation that final throw. And Zach made some BIG time throws on that drive to get them there.

I thought the previous drive felt very much like a real, "OK, now it's go time!" drive, but then the coach essentially took the drive out of Zach's hands which I thought very perplexing.

I have to admit...I've talked about Zach's strengths and his weaknesses in the past...but as much as people turn that CC game into a negative, the ending was a positive data point in my accounting. And it may have sort of gotten my gears turning the other direction on him.

He wasn't perfect I'm that game, but a lot of his biggest plays were dropped or negated by penalty (first play of the game, I think). After watching him torch UCF (bad D, I know), I expected Coastal Carolina to bring a different type of reality to his prosects, but I thought he more or less looked the same. Some stuff to tighten up, but it's easy to see how he could end up being very good in the NFL.

He throws into tight coverage, but a lot of the throws at least in highlights are without any pressure or minimal pressure. They are not even pocket throws. I don't know if you can call it a pocket if there is a basin, a landing pad of grass field around him on the throws. Something is wacky there, the production certainly is. I say his production is unreliable, we do not know if he can play at all. That leaves us with the tools alone. That's not good. He is not Allen or Jackson. (Age is not a concern, Dude is 21/22. I've seen posters say he is 24.)

Last edited:
With Kyle Trask it's the opposite. We know 100% dude can play from the pocket at high level, just like Brady and Big Ben can play, but his tools are sht. He throws wobblers and has minimal mobility.

He throws into tight coverage, but a lot of the throws at least in highlights are without any pressure or minimal pressure. They are not even pocket throws. I don't know if you can call it a pocket if there is a basin, a landing pad of grass field around him on the throws. Something is wacky there, the production certainly is. I say his production is unreliable, we do not know if he can play at all. That leaves us with the tools alone. That's not good. He is not Allen or Jackson. (Age is not a concern, Dude is 21/22. I've seen posters say he is 24.)
I don't see that... Dude is facing as much pressure if not more than the football factory QBs who also get
50%+ of their yards off dump offs + YAC. That said -- every college QB is a projection and NONE come with
guaranteed "NFL Ready" certification.

Kid oozes swag + confidence and can certainly sling that ball around from all angles and degrees of difficulty.
Like I said, I'd love to see him in the QB mix for us. Competition makes EVERYONE better!

Back
Top Bottom