Zach's agents hope for deal this week | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zach's agents hope for deal this week

If the Chargers can let Seau go, I can see the fins letting Zach go as well.

I work for IBM. Last year, I didn't get a pay raise, my bonus was significantly smaller, and they increased the price of my benefits while decreasing how much they actually benefited me.

I had several buddies sitting next to me... now I don't.

I don't know what this sounds like to you guys... but it sounds like a pay cut to me. And my buddies definitely added to some serious cost savings for IBM.

Don't bet on Zach getting a huge deal

after free agency next year...
Remember his limitations, age and the fact that hehas taken a beating.

Think John Offerdahl.

Thanks for trying to see my side TD but I was actually just confused about how the money was being structured. I was under the impression that he would get less money this year and have it "returned" in later years. I wasn't aware this was the last year of his contract. The reason I was thinking this would be a paycut was the likelyhood of him being cut before he can get to those "big money" years where the money would be "returned". It was a misunderstanding on my part and I wasn't taking the bonus into account.

But now that I do understand I still beleive he will essentially be accepting less money.

Bear with me. If he is due ~6mil this year and resturctures to ... lets say that number gets knocked down to 2mil. This 4mil is "returned" to him upfront in the form of a signing bonus. This signing bonus is approx 7mil (i think thats what I read) but in actuality the "signing bonus" is really only 3 mil in this case, because he was due the 4mil of it regardless.

And while its true that he does get a longterm contract ... correct if I'm wrong (like that's a problem for some :rolleyes: ) .... money in the NFL is not guaranteed. So essentially if he gets hurt the Phins could cut him and he would be in the same situation as if he didn't sign the EXTENSION (happy?).

So really eventhough I stand corrected :fire:. It still appears as if he will be getting less money by extending than going FA. Hey, I'm a Phins fan too. And the LAST thing I wanna see is Zach in another uni .. I'm just trying to see it from a utilitarian perspective rather than just as a fan.

if he goes through free agency he will most probably get major bucks. Then he has to leave Miami. Zach really likes it here, I mean really. He'll take less to stay, it will all come down to the wire, each side will push and pull until they come to an agreement.

money in the NFL is not guaranteed. So essentially if he gets hurt the Phins could cut him and he would be in the same situation as if he didn't sign the EXTENSION (happy?).
except the signing bonus... that is guaranteed and he would keep that. But I believe there is also some injury thing.. where if you are under contract and you have a carreer ending injury you have to get some compensation? I believe there is some injury settlement that has to be met? not sure on that.
either way, by not resigning he is taking a risk.. a risk that he will stay healthy and make more... it comes down to how much that risk is worth$$

No, Zach won't necessarily get big bucks!!!

How can you not see this?

:chair:

I need that smiley of someone banging their head against the wall, because sometimes that is what is like around here...

Zach will be thirty this year...and 31 at the start of next season...
There are not a lot of teams that will pay and over 30 linebacker a ton of money, especially one that has taken as much pounding as Zach!

You cannot cut a player that is injured, only once he is healthy can he be cut.

And while its true that he does get a longterm contract ... correct if I'm wrong (like that's a problem for some ) .... money in the NFL is not guaranteed. So essentially if he gets hurt the Phins could cut him and he would be in the same situation as if he didn't sign the EXTENSION (happy?).

Except he'd be three million dollars richer than if he didn't sign the extension......If he gets hurt next year on his CURRENT contract then NOBODY owes him anything.

And gottahave...

would that be so bad...I mean losing a 31 year old lb...who might not have a lot in the tank at that point...and yet clearing up a whole lot of cap room...just something to think about...

Again if Miami signs him to an extension more power to them...but unless there is a free agent out there that Miami will bid on with the freed up cash...
then maybe its more prudent to let Zach play out his current contract and then either franchise him or let him walk...

Originally posted by mee
But now that I do understand I still beleive he will essentially be accepting less money.

Still not sure why you think that, but I'll do my best to understand your side. :)

Bear with me. If he is due ~6mil this year and resturctures to ... lets say that number gets knocked down to 2mil. This 4mil is "returned" to him upfront in the form of a signing bonus.

Right. Her makes the same amount, its just categorized as signing bonus money and not base salary money. The NFL counts signing bonus money differently than base salary money eith regards to the salary cap.

This signing bonus is approx 7mil (i think thats what I read) but in actuality the "signing bonus" is really only 3 mil in this case, because he was due the 4mil of it regardless.

Dont understand this part. What $7 million?

And while its true that he does get a longterm contract.... money in the NFL is not guaranteed. So essentially if he gets hurt the Phins could cut him and he would be in the same situation as if he didn't sign the EXTENSION.

The opositte is true. If he doesnt sign an extension he will get whatever is owed to him this year (about $6 million). However if he signs an extension, he will probably be looking at MORE money via a bigger signing bonus - probably in the range of $8-9 million that he will see THIS YEAR. So in the event that he gets injured in the middle of the season and the Phins cut him (heaven forbid!), he will have benefited from more money up front by extending than if he opts not to extend his contract.

So really eventhough I stand corrected :fire:. It still appears as if he will be getting less money by extending than going FA.

Again not following the logic here. Maybe I misunderstood you.

Hey, I'm a Phins fan too. And the LAST thing I wanna see is Zach in another uni .. I'm just trying to see it from a utilitarian perspective rather than just as a fan.

Good conversation Mee. ;) :)

I didn't want to get into this one, but I can't help myself. The Dolphins would not sign a guy with a large signing bonus and then cut him because they would take a huge cap hit. By getting the large signing bonus, Zach actually secures his future for at least a few years and gets more money upfront.

Mee,

The proof that you are missing the boat is that Zach wants an extention. The only issue is how much.

Re: And gottahave...

Originally posted by RHoffman
would that be so bad...I mean losing a 31 year old lb...who might not have a lot in the tank at that point...and yet clearing up a whole lot of cap room...just something to think about...

Again if Miami signs him to an extension more power to them...but unless there is a free agent out there that Miami will bid on with the freed up cash...
then maybe its more prudent to let Zach play out his current contract and then either franchise him or let him walk...
I would imagine that they would like to have $$ available incase there are some players of interest cut June 1st.. if there are good players cut we could miss out on them by trying to restructure Zach then

Originally posted by PhinKev
I didn't want to get into this one, but I can't help myself. The Dolphins would not sign a guy with a large signing bonus and then cut him because they would take a huge cap hit. By getting the large signing bonus, Zach actually secures his future for at least a few years and gets more money upfront.

very true Kev

Back
Top Bottom