Zack Thomas Backup is: Brenden Givan? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zack Thomas Backup is: Brenden Givan?

DolFinatic718

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
The most vulnerable situations
We know the aforementioned teams have a pretty good answer when they ask themselves the question, "If the starter goes down what does the backup scenario look like?" Here are 11 situations where the loss of the starter could mean trouble to the club immediately:

Team:Dolphins
Player:Zack Thomas
Present replacement:Brenden Givan
If backup has to play: Sign Marvin Jones. He's 10 miles away

Where do they get their info from and why would they post misleading lies on a national site? That is such crap. If I were the Front office I would be screaming foul. I thought that if Zack were to go down for a long period of time Greenwood would move in and take over and someone else would play LOB. Greenwood is a veteran, so what is he talking about?
http://nfl.com/news/story/7397758

He was caught by a quarterback on saturday.

That was one of the best plays I have ever seen by a quarterback.

Derrick Pope is the current MLB backup. But, we really have multiple options because of the interchangable design of our LB position.

Eddie Moore could be the first option at MLB.
Junior could slide to MLB and Jenkins could jump in at WLB.
Pope or Givens would be the final options.

PhinstiGator said:
Derrick Pope is the current MLB backup. But, we really have multiple options because of the interchangable design of our LB position.

Eddie Moore could be the first option at MLB.
Junior could slide to MLB and Jenkins could jump in at WLB.
Pope or Givens would be the final options.

Does that mean Bua is going to play S? And who is this Givens guy anyway. Try and know everyone and I have never heard of him.

dreadlockera said:
Does that mean Bua is going to play S? And who is this Givens guy anyway. Try and know everyone and I have never heard of him.

At the Banquet, Spielman announced Tony Bua as 5'11, 220 lbs... Weakside LB. He is competing with Corey Jenkins for backing up Junior.

We tend to keep only 6 LB's on the active roster. That would relegate Pope & Givens to the practice squad.

Eddie Moore will be the top LB backup. Moore, Jenkins, & Bua will be special team maniacs.

I could've sworn we kept more than 6 Lb's. If not Pope is probably the odd man out, but I'd like to see him kept for ST along with Bua. Of course, in Pope's interview after being drafted they asked him if he'd move to SS, and he said he thought about it, but right now there is no plans for that.

Seriously the official word is that Morlon Greenwood is our backup MLB. We have guys that can easily step in to play SSLB if Morlon should need to step into MLB. Heck, Eddie Moore was supposed to compete with Morlon there at SSLB last year and now this year.

I believe the word came from Wannstedt himself I'm pretty sure he said that Morlon is the backup MLB.

I could've sworn we kept more than 6 Lb's. If not Pope is probably the odd man out, but I'd like to see him kept for ST along with Bua. Of course, in Pope's interview after being drafted they asked him if he'd move to SS, and he said he thought about it, but right now there is no plans for that.

We've kept 7 in the past, but it all comes down to special teams, that potential 7th linebacker is vying with like, a potential 9th Defensive Back, and maybe a potential 4th Runningback, or potential 6th Wide Receiver...all vying for a spot on the roster that will be decided by special teams prowess.

Right now I believe Pope has a number in the 30's and his locker is next to guys that are definite cuts and people playing in NFL Europe. Tony Bua's got a number in the 50's and has a locker between Zach and Seau (a pick that Spielman wants to hang his hat on, so to speak). I think they pretty much always planned on the practice squad for Pope, barring injury or a surprise showing.

ckparrothead said:
Seriously the official word is that Morlon Greenwood is our backup MLB. We have guys that can easily step in to play SSLB if Morlon should need to step into MLB. Heck, Eddie Moore was supposed to compete with Morlon there at SSLB last year and now this year.

I believe the word came from Wannstedt himself I'm pretty sure he said that Morlon is the backup MLB.

...Wannstedt said he hopes Moore will become a "major factor" on special teams and serve as the top backup linebacker behind starters Zach Thomas, Junior Seau and Morlon Greenwood.

"The thing that is really interesting is he is probably the quickest of all the linebackers we have," Wannstedt said. "Once he gets into it a little bit, we really need to start look at him in some of our nickel packages and try to get him a little more playing time."...

Link

We have better depth at linebacker than most people realize. Even if Brendan Given is Zack's backup, I wouldn't have a problem with that. Given has been outstanding in Europe and has the size, speed, and tackling ability to be a very good MLB. He is going to surprise a lot of people. Factor in the other young guys, Pope, Bua, Moore, Jenkins, and we've got a very healthy situation as far as Special Teams and depth.

ckparrothead said:
We've kept 7 in the past, but it all comes down to special teams...

Wannstedt has not ever kept more than 6 LB's on the active roster in his 4 year tenure. Jimmy Johnson went with 7 LB's 50% of the time.

Twice we have kept 7 LB's in the last 8 seasons. It's highly unlikely that we go that way with our additions in DB land and our heavy reliance on our nickle defense.

Twice in 8 seasons isn't all that bad considering the competition for the spot. Justin Seaverns fought for a 7th LB position and if I'm not mistaken, he actually made it at one point during the season though he wasn't on the 53 man roster.

Nothing suggests Wannstedt is adamant about keeping only 6 linebackers. He's always made it a point of emphasis about keeping guys for special teams. And yes, Morlon Greenwood is our backup MLB.

ckparrothead said:
... And yes, Morlon Greenwood is our backup MLB.
OK. I can't just take your word for it though. Could you please give some evidence to support why you believe Greenwood would be the main Mike LB backup when he has never played inside?

Are you suggesting a scenario where Greenwood doesn't win the starting SLB position?

Back
Top Bottom