Zack Thomas Backup is: Brenden Givan? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zack Thomas Backup is: Brenden Givan?

PhinstiGator said:
OK. I can't just take your word for it though. Could you please give some evidence to support why you believe Greenwood would be the main Mike LB backup when he has never played inside?

Are you suggesting a scenario where Greenwood doesn't win the starting SLB position?

If memory serves me correctly, he played it once last year.

PhinstiGator said:
OK. I can't just take your word for it though. Could you please give some evidence to support why you believe Greenwood would be the main Mike LB backup when he has never played inside?

Are you suggesting a scenario where Greenwood doesn't win the starting SLB position?

I actually remember Wanny saying that once a while back after Hendricks signed with Jacksonville. It'll all play out in training camp though.

PhinstiGator said:
Derrick Pope is the current MLB backup. But, we really have multiple options because of the interchangable design of our LB position.

Eddie Moore could be the first option at MLB.
Junior could slide to MLB and Jenkins could jump in at WLB.
Pope or Givens would be the final options.

No Greenwood is the current back up. Derrick pope is not going to fill in for Zack if he is down for atleast a month, the guy is a rookie. Dont forget number 57 played some MLB.

Seau will not play MLB I dont know where you get that info.

Hendricks was the main backup last year...both inside and outside.

Wannstedt was asked in May who the backups are RIGHT NOW. Keep in mind that Eddie Moore was still not able to participate in the mini-camp.

Wannstedt said right now Jenkins "would be the guy" if outside linebackers Seau or Greenwood got hurt.

If Thomas were injured, Greenwood would be the middle linebacker.

That was a right now scenario with Moore still on the sideline with an injury. That scenario is no longer "right now".

To sum up... Seau, Zach, & Greenwood are the starters. Eddie Moore is the top backup inside and outside (just like Tommy Hendricks). Jenkins & Bua are Outside LB backups and special teamers. In a doomsday scenario...Seau would be the most experienced Middle LB to step in for Zach.

PhinstiGator said:
Hendricks was the main backup last year...both inside and outside.

Wannstedt was asked in May who the backups are RIGHT NOW. Keep in mind that Eddie Moore was still not able to participate in the mini-camp.

That was a right now scenario with Moore still on the sideline with an injury. That scenario is no longer "right now".

To sum up... Seau, Zach, & Greenwood are the starters. Eddie Moore is the top backup inside and outside (just like Tommy Hendricks). Jenkins & Bua are Outside LB backups and special teamers. In a doomsday scenario...Seau would be the most experienced Middle LB to step in for Zach.

Last year when Zach was out, I don't remember Seau being the middle linebacker that game. I may be wrong.

DolFinatic718 said:
...Seau will not play MLB I dont know where you get that info.

I'm not saying that is the first option. I'm saying that IS an option.

(On Derrick Pope’s comfort playing inside) “Well, he played middle linebacker. He’s got the ability to do it. He is tough, as Rick mentioned, and aggressive. We’ll start him off inside because we need a little bit of depth there, and we will see how he handles it. Our guys are interchangeable. Last year when Zach missed a game, Tommy Hendricks played the middle. When Junior missed the Jacksonville game, Tommy Hendricks jumped outside. So, our linebackers, that is the good thing that is a little bit different about our system is all three are really interchangeable to a large degree.â€Â

There is an interchangeability within our system. Junior and Greenwood will often flip sides during the game. That is why we are deeper than we appear at the LB position.

For people to argue that Greenwood is both the starter and the backup is a bit of a stretch. The only reason Greenwood was ever mentioned as a backup MLB is because Moore was not yet able to perform and our LB's do appear to be interchangeable by design.

Yet, since Moore is now able to perform...Wannstedt has stated that he wants to get him more involved...even as a Nickle LB...which would place him in the Middle of our defense.

I think there is a differance between who is the second string MLB and who is the back-up. Morlon Greenwood would move to MLB if Zack Thomas goes down and Eddie Moore would move to SLB.

But if you want to see the depth chart for the LB's you would likely see Derrick Pope, Brendon Given, and Winston Taylor backing up the middle. Eddie Moore and Brandon Ayenbedajo are the back-up SLB's and Corey Jenkins, Tony Bua, and Kevin Mitchell are behind Junior at the WLB spot.

Given the way we move LB's around, the depth chart is only applicable when the back-ups come on to face the first team offense as a scout team. Besides after Eddie Moore the rest of the back-up LB's will be selected for their Special Team prowess.

Ohiophinphan said:
I think there is a differance between who is the second string MLB and who is the back-up. Morlon Greenwood would move to MLB if Zack Thomas goes down and Eddie Moore would move to SLB.
Actually, at that time in May when Wannstedt made that comment about Greenwood moving inside...Jenkins would have been the one to move to the SLB position...because Moore was obviously unavailable. Again, Wannstedt was pressed to give an answer to the question of who "RIGHT NOW" would play the backup positions if there was an injury to the starters. At that time in May, Jenkins was the top backup on both outside positions and Greenwood was the top backup in the middle. That scenario was only with Moore out of the equation. I would suggest that Eddie Moore would now have to be added back to the equation and Wannstedts lastest remarks about Moore earning playing time as the Nickle LB MUST be considered.

But if you want to see the depth chart for the LB's you would likely see Derrick Pope, Brendon Given, and Winston Taylor backing up the middle. Eddie Moore and Brandon Ayenbedajo are the back-up SLB's and Corey Jenkins, Tony Bua, and Kevin Mitchell are behind Junior at the WLB spot.
Exactly.

Given the way we move LB's around, the depth chart is only applicable when the back-ups come on to face the first team offense as a scout team. Besides after Eddie Moore the rest of the back-up LB's will be selected for their Special Team prowess.
It's very likely that it will be just as last year...with Moore filling the role of Hendricks...being the top backup both inside and outside...yet, Moore could also get the additional role of being the Nickle LB, which would send (edit) Greenwood to the bench.

If Zach goes down Jr. would move inside, that's where he played for most of his career. Moore would replace Seau at WSB..

SmokeyPhinz said:
Never heard of Brendan Given. Who is he?

He is a LB allocated to NFL Europe (Berlin Thunder) by Miami. Here is a little tidbit from NFL.com on the game they recently just played - "In the fourth quarter Thunder linebacker Brenden Givan ended the Galaxy's only real scoring opportunity by stripping the ball from Skip Hicks at the goal-line and going for an NFLEL record 98-yard fumble return back to the Galaxy 1-yard line." He's 6'2 and 252lbs from Stillman. You can read about him on NFL.com in the NFL Europe section.

finphan said:
He is a LB allocated to NFL Europe (Berlin Thunder) by Miami. Here is a little tidbit from NFL.com on the game they recently just played - "In the fourth quarter Thunder linebacker Brenden Givan ended the Galaxy's only real scoring opportunity by stripping the ball from Skip Hicks at the goal-line and going for an NFLEL record 98-yard fumble return back to the Galaxy 1-yard line." He's 6'2 and 252lbs from Stillman. You can read about him on NFL.com in the NFL Europe section.
That's an amazing play if for no other reason than that he found a way to go from the one to the one.

I remember reading or hearing at a PC where Wanny said that Greenwood would be the one to move inside.

Phinstigator, you have it right. At the time of the quote Jenkins was the back-up. You understand the point I was trying to make regarding back-ups vs. 2nd team. Eddie Moore will likely fill the role Hendricks played last year.

Crazydolphan305, I'm not sure JR has the speed to play MLB any more. He may go to the MLB spot to finish out a game if Zach were injured but my guess is that if Zack were down for any time beyond that you would see Moore or Greenwood move inside with the other playing SLB.

Yes to all of you who thought Givan's play was outstanding! Nice job. He is also a top special team player either leading his team in ST tackles or he is second. He is a guy who is making the most of his NFLE exposure. With the expanded PS this season, he has a chance to make it if not with us then with someone.

Back
Top Bottom