Zack's last Season??? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zack's last Season???

finmann

Pro Bowler
Club Member
Reaction score
With the addition of Channing Crowder to a LB group that consist of Tony Bua Seau, Jenkins, Moore and now Lionel Turner(a few others i can't remember off hand) Do you guys think that Saban will trade Zack for draft picks next season or does he retire a Dolphin? I know Saban loves the big LB especially if he is thinking of going 3-4 defence, in that case where does Zack fit in.

Note: Zack in one of my favourite players and I would hate to see him gone.

So because we bring in LB's you think he might be traded? There's a thing called depth and Saban wants to be able to switch formations at anytime. The more players he has on defense the better.

I think this will depend on the successfulness of the team and whether or not Zach is willing to take a pay cut to reach the big game. I think he will, and I think Zach retires a Fin, but his role will change with the defensive schemes and he will not be an every down LB after this season.

Zach probally has a couple years left but with his size and with the way he plays with reckless abandon with his body. Pope is waiting in the wings and I have a feeling if Zach misses too many games this season Nick Saban will shed his cap number and let Pope or Crowder take over. I hope he finsishes his career with the Dolphins but with Zach's love for the game I could see him playing out his last couple of years with another team.

If he is going to run a 3 - 4 variation at times he is going to need another MLB...Crowder is the best one we have now outside of Zach...

i think we're still kinda thin at RB
crowder, moore, seau and thomas are all injury prone, especially seau i dont expect a full season out of him...
donnie spragen is a new addition that should play for us, pope is just a second year man and another short LB, and the rest are really just ST, ayenbadego and jenkins... and bua moved to safety... so really its like this

moore, spragen, seau OLBs
thomas, crowder, pope MLBs

other additions as UDFA i dont expect much from... i dont know im kinda worried about it if we hit some injuries

Saban's a Bellichick disciple...

and he carries what 10, 11 LB's on his team? Zack will have a home in Miami as long as his producuction and his salary remain in an acceptable range and probably until he retires.

(Junior still here on a lower salary, Zack may eat that before he retires but I don't see him needing to go anywhere).

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this 3-4 defense is overrated... Nobody on the roster right now including draft picks is a close second to Zach's talent...nevermind his preparation during the season and in the off-season. Depth in the offensive line seemed to be a bigger issue....Hudson Houck is a good coach, but not a magician? Why would Ricky come back to run behind that line???

Finfan53 said:
I think this 3-4 defense is overrated ... Nobody on the roster right now including draft picks is a close second to Zach's talent...nevermind his preparation during the season and in the off-season. Depth in the offensive line seemed to be a bigger issue....Hudson Houck is a good coach, but not a magician? Why would Ricky come back to run behind that line???

I think this 3-4 defense is overrated - I don't
Nobody on the roster right now including draft picks is a close second to Zach's talent-It would be a business decision, not because he can't play

Depth in the offensive line seemed to be a bigger issue - They have added players and see promise in the ones we have

Hudson Houck is a good coach, but not a magician? Why would Ricky come back to run behind that line???- He worked magic in SD. And forget Ricky, why would we want him back now?

Hes given us 9 going on 10 years of excellence, spell his freaking name right.

First of all......Seau is gone after this year, so lets not add him to the list of LBs that will be here a while. Bua is too small for LB, he will try safety out.

Zack is too talented, i dont care if its 4-3 or 3-4, if a guy plays hard and tough and is a talented guy, then he is, end of story.

I think Zack will retire a Dolphin.....Crowder is a great LB if healthy and will be here for the future, Spragan may be in the mix there, and Moore and Pope two more young guys....but Zack is always better than any you can list.

If Saban goes to more 3-4 down the raod after this season, I still think Zack will be around, small or not......Crowder, Thomas, Spragan are a good start with Pope and Moore being added into the mix.

finmann said:
With the addition of Channing Crowder to a LB group that consist of Tony Bua Seau, Jenkins, Moore and now Lionel Turner(a few others i can't remember off hand) Do you guys think that Saban will trade Zack for draft picks next season or does he retire a Dolphin? I know Saban loves the big LB especially if he is thinking of going 3-4 defence, in that case where does Zack fit in.

Note: Zack in one of my favourite players and I would hate to see him gone.

I don't think the addition of Channing Crowder is going to result in Saban getting rid of Zach Thomas. If we do go 3-4 which it's obviously we will be testing it out a little this season our MLB's will be Zach Thomas and Channing Crowder. You need two MLB's for the 3-4 and even though Zach isn't a "BIG" LB it still should be a great combination. Tony Bua is no longer part of the LB core as he's been moved to SS, this will most likely be Seau's last season, and there's no telling if Moore, Jenkins, and Pope will all have a long bright future maybe just one of them for all we know. Moore hasn't lived up to his potentional. Not only would getting rid of the heart and soul be a BAD MOVE for our team and hurt our defense tremendously, but it would also make us in NEED of a replacement because we won't have enough LB's AND we would lose all DEPTH we have. Zach would take a pay cut before we would ever get rid of him which I hope would be never and he retires a Phin with JT. And I hope Saban feels the same way because I feel that is what would be best for the team as well which always comes first.

Back
Top Bottom