Zero percent chance we draft Cordarelle Patterson | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zero percent chance we draft Cordarelle Patterson

IMO, we need to beat the patriots.

we do that with guys who can score touchdowns.. (cordarelle patterson), and guys who stop touchdowns from scoring..(barkevious mingo, desmond trufant, tank carradine)...

we beat the patriots, we make the playoffs. thats as simple as I can put it.

We're not beating the Patriots regardless of who we sign. Wild Card is the only realistic goal for the next few years. But if you want to get good right now, the last thing you do is gamble on unproductive athletes like Patterson, Mingo and Anash in the first round. Sure all three could be Pro Bowl players, but not for a few years and they all have high bust potential.

We're not beating the Patriots regardless of who we sign. Wild Card is the only realistic goal for the next few years. But if you want to get good right now, the last thing you do is gamble on unproductive athletes like Patterson, Mingo and Anash in the first round. Sure all three could be Pro Bowl players, but not for a few years and they all have high bust potential.

Patterson is . . . unproductive now?

This talk is just getting silly.

Patterson is . . . unproductive now?

This talk is just getting silly.

Take away the game against Troy and Patterson on has 500 yards on the season. When a guy is the best athlete on the field regardless of the opponent, that qualifies as unproductive.

But if you guys want to draft based on athletic ability let's do it. How about Patterson in the first, Magnus Hunt in the second? This is a draft that would make the Raiders proud.

Take away the game against Troy and Patterson on has 500 yards on the season. When a guy is the best athlete on the field regardless of the opponent, that qualifies as unproductive.

But if you guys want to draft based on athletic ability let's do it. How about Patterson in the first, Magnus Hunt in the second? This is a draft that would make the Raiders proud.

Actually, take away his game against Troy and he still has 854 yards and 9 total touchdowns on the year...with 2 more touchdowns called back on penalty.

Not that I see WHY you would take the Troy game away, by the way. We can't pretend it just didn't happen. The fact of the matter is Tennessee's defense found themselves unequipped to handle Troy's high tempo offense and they let up a ton of points. Were it not for Cordarrelle Patterson's being awesome in that game to help the Tennessee offense match score for score, that would've gone down as one of the bigger upsets in Tennessee school history. So Patterson's being a great player helped prevent not just a loss, but a potentially historical disaster. Why should we take that away from him?

What's everyone's take on Patterson's ability to learn the WCO? or read defenses? I don't think anyone questions his physical talent. For full disclosure, I haven't seen 1 snap of his college game yet. I haven't even watched a YouTube highlight clip yet. So whats the deal with this guy's head?

Honest opinion:

1. He's anywhere from "not book smart" to "dumb as a post"

2. To that end, he's been JUCO since high school even though his high school coach heard back from every single school he sent his tape to

3. On the other hand, he learned Tennessee's playbook in his first year, which is never an easy feat for a first year player. To top that off he did it with a month less time than newcomers usually have, because he was still finishing classes at Hutchinson. He didn't arrive until July. This is not just some lip service feat, IMO. This is actually an impressive accomplishment.

4. He learned that offense well enough to execute a very wide variety of plays. He executed end-arounds, screen sweeps, jet sweeps, runs out of the backfield like a tailback, decoy end-arounds, and even an option pass he completed to Mychal Rivera for 28 yards against Missouri. And I'd swear his big TD run against Georgia was an option pass that he decided not to throw. And he wasn't a "one route" kind of player either. He ran fades, back shoulder plays, fade-stops, out routes, out-and-ups, slants, corner routes, shake routes, bang-8's, dig routes, curls, drags and I believe some wheel routes from different alignments. The only thing I don't recall seeing him run is a comeback. I'm sure he did it I just don't recall seeing one. And of course this is all in addition to his duties as kick returner, and later on during the season, as punt returner.

So really you do have some mixed signals. He doesn't seem smart and his history of poor grades doesn't seem to lend itself to him being smart. On the other hand he did something really impressive at Tennessee from a playbook standpoint in such a short space of time.

Actually, take away his game against Troy and he still has 854 yards and 9 total touchdowns on the year...with 2 more touchdowns called back on penalty.

Not that I see WHY you would take the Troy game away, by the way. We can't pretend it just didn't happen. The fact of the matter is Tennessee's defense found themselves unequipped to handle Troy's high tempo offense and they let up a ton of points. Were it not for Cordarrelle Patterson's being awesome in that game to help the Tennessee offense match score for score, that would've gone down as one of the bigger upsets in Tennessee school history. So Patterson's being a great player helped prevent not just a loss, but a potentially historical disaster. Why should we take that away from him?

Receiving yards. Not rushing yards. ESPN has 778 Recieving and 219 of that against Troy. I'm taking Troy away because you said he made the top defenders in the country look silly. Troy doesn't qualify. Anyway , I respect your opinion and I'll concede Patterson could be great. BUT, I believe it will take two , maybe three years and Jeff Ireland does not have time to wait. Seriously, if you were Jeff Ireland would you draft Patterson at 12 knowing this offseason will make or break your career? I wouldn't. I'm going the safe route with Eifert and Hopkins, Bailey or Swope. Of course if Miami gets Wallace and a TE via free agency, that could alter my stance

Receiving yards. Not rushing yards. ESPN has 778 Recieving and 219 of that against Troy. I'm taking Troy away because you said he made the top defenders in the country look silly. Troy doesn't qualify. Anyway , I respect your opinion and I'll concede Patterson could be great. BUT, I believe it will take two , maybe three years and Jeff Ireland does not have time to wait. Seriously, if you were Jeff Ireland would you draft Patterson at 12 knowing this offseason will make or break your career? I wouldn't. I'm going the safe route with Eifert and Hopkins, Bailey or Swope. Of course if Miami gets Wallace and a TE via free agency, that could alter my stance

He made those defenders look silly on the tape. RUNS COUNT. I don't know how many times I can say this. They function pretty much the exact same as screen passes. All these other receivers took between a quarter, a third or even a half of their work on screen passes. All screen passes are, are extended run plays. They get the football in the receiver's hands in as easy method possible, and allow the receiver to do the rest with his run skills. That's exactly what those run plays to Patterson were doing. The only reason they preferred end-arounds and jet sweeps to screen passes is because of how those plays FIT into the run offense. They played off one another.

And since when does taking a receiver in the 1st round make or break your career? A quarterback, yes. A receiver? Come on. If that's the case, then you've done 90% of the "breaking" of your career already before you even took that guy.

I would definitely be pleasantly surprised if they took Patterson at 12. Especially since this regime rarely does anything "sexy" in the draft. But then again, he does fit the "bigger is better" mold and I think the need is glaring enough to make them bit, ala Ryan Tannehill last year.

If I had to bet my life on it, I'd say they go with a DE or CB instead, but I hope I'm wrong. Realistically, I think Xavier Rhodes and Bjoern Werner are the top two targets right now.

He made those defenders look silly on the tape. RUNS COUNT. I don't know how many times I can say this. They function pretty much the exact same as screen passes. All these other receivers took between a quarter, a third or even a half of their work on screen passes. All screen passes are, are extended run plays. They get the football in the receiver's hands in as easy method possible, and allow the receiver to do the rest with his run skills. That's exactly what those run plays to Patterson were doing. The only reason they preferred end-arounds and jet sweeps to screen passes is because of how those plays FIT into the run offense. They played off one another.

And since when does taking a receiver in the 1st round make or break your career? A quarterback, yes. A receiver? Come on. If that's the case, then you've done 90% of the "breaking" of your career already before you even took that guy.

At this stage in Ireland's career? He absolutely cannot wiff on a first round pick THIS year. As I said earlier. I'll make anyone on this board a sig bet that Stedman Bailey is a better pro than Cordelle Patterson.

Honest opinion:

1. He's anywhere from "not book smart" to "dumb as a post"

2. To that end, he's been JUCO since high school even though his high school coach heard back from every single school he sent his tape to

3. On the other hand, he learned Tennessee's playbook in his first year, which is never an easy feat for a first year player. To top that off he did it with a month less time than newcomers usually have, because he was still finishing classes at Hutchinson. He didn't arrive until July. This is not just some lip service feat, IMO. This is actually an impressive accomplishment.

4. He learned that offense well enough to execute a very wide variety of plays. He executed end-arounds, screen sweeps, jet sweeps, runs out of the backfield like a tailback, decoy end-arounds, and even an option pass he completed to Mychal Rivera for 28 yards against Missouri. And I'd swear his big TD run against Georgia was an option pass that he decided not to throw. And he wasn't a "one route" kind of player either. He ran fades, back shoulder plays, fade-stops, out routes, out-and-ups, slants, corner routes, shake routes, bang-8's, dig routes, curls, drags and I believe some wheel routes from different alignments. The only thing I don't recall seeing him run is a comeback. I'm sure he did it I just don't recall seeing one. And of course this is all in addition to his duties as kick returner, and later on during the season, as punt returner.

So really you do have some mixed signals. He doesn't seem smart and his history of poor grades doesn't seem to lend itself to him being smart. On the other hand he did something really impressive at Tennessee from a playbook standpoint in such a short space of time.

I really lost confidence in his brains when I read armondos interview and he continued to refer to his "mama" throughout the interview. Seems like a baby upstairs. I have little faith he will be able to pick up the offense, let alone handle the NFL life.

I don't mean to sound like an ******* but you keep sayng how he picked up the entire offense in a month and was running all the routes, than you state in his article, the reason he basically was non-existent for 5 games was because he just learned the playbook. Doesn't go both ways IMO.

And IMO, IF he was as good as your advertising, inn all the aspects you say he is, he would have at least a few more games with more than a couple catches. I'm sorry, but for me that's a major flag. If its not for you, that's cool, but in my eyes, it is a big deal.

I really lost confidence in his brains when I read armondos interview and he continued to refer to his "mama" throughout the interview. Seems like a baby upstairs. I have little faith he will be able to pick up the offense, let alone handle the NFL life.

I don't mean to sound like an ******* but you keep sayng how he picked up the entire offense in a month and was running all the routes, than you state in his article, the reason he basically was non-existent for 5 games was because he just learned the playbook. Doesn't go both ways IMO.

And IMO, IF he was as good as your advertising, inn all the aspects you say he is, he would have at least a few more games with more than a couple catches. I'm sorry, but for me that's a major flag. If its not for you, that's cool, but in my eyes, it is a big deal.

To the first point, I don't think what he calls his mother has any relevance to anything. There are a lot of factors you can use to measure intelligence: IQ, ability to execute tasks under pressure, problem solving - but how you call your mother is not recognized by Mensa as a sufficient test of IQ. The name you refer to your mother by can vary by household, culture, socioeconomic status, or hometown.

I also have stats for all occasions. This occasion is your third point. I don't think I've broken these out here, so let me run down how the average #1 WR gets targeted by his QB:

% Total Targets: 31%
% of Throws that are Misses: 23%

That is to say, on average, for all the wide receivers I've looked at - they receive 31% of all the QB's total throws and 23% of those throws are misses by the QB. Here are Patterson's numbers from my sampling:

% Targets, Patterson: 20%
% Misses, Patterson: 27%

So, Tyler Bray not only threw to Patterson much more infrequently than average, he also missed more than average (second highest amongst QBs that I measured). Contrast that to Justin Hunter, whom Bray targeted 30% of the time and we can see why Patterson had lower numbers and games with few catches. I find it hard to believe that Patterson just wasn't open, the likelihood is that Bray felt more comfortable throwing to Hunter and thus did so more often (he also forced it far more often, missing Hunter 35% of the time). I don't believe that means we should penalize Patterson both for poor QB play and a QB who didn't throw his way much in our evaluations. There are plenty of better points to nitpick with Patterson.

I'm a 47 year old mechanical planner for a nuclear contractor with an MBS and a former high school football coach, and I still call her "mama". Most everybody I know refers to their mother the same. If you grew up in the south and are part of the culture, you wouldn't think of addressing her as anything else. Doesn't matter if you're an author, actor, musician, or football player.

What do you think Julio Jones and A.J. Green call their mother? They call her mama...

Now, if the first thing that pops into his mind when he's handed his walking papers is to call his grandma like Vontae Davis, at that point you may have some maturity and/or intelligence issues.

Anyone with a college education has been required to take part in the basic fields of sociology/psychology, where they would've learned about Gardner's Theory of Multiple Intelligence. Also, the roles that culture and socioeconomics has on an individual's habits and lifestyle.

Most of the best authors that have ever lived came from poverty in the delta country of Mississippi. You don't judge an individuals intelligence by their culture. That essentially displays a lack of intelligence. There's a lot of people in prison that are more intelligent than most of us will ever be.

Back
Top Bottom