Zgonina and Surtain first rounder

Dr.Rad

The Enforcer
Joined
Mar 20, 2004
Messages
332
Reaction score
0
Location
Errrywhere
The farthest Johnson would fall is to Tennessee at #6... By the way, Zgonina for a 3rd?? Hmmm, interesting
 

OneHondo

Lifetime Contract
Joined
Jan 21, 2004
Messages
1,550
Reaction score
0
Location
Chesapeake, Virginia
I think it is still too early to tell what the market might be. Surtain might be a player several teams could be interested in. If one team is more determined than the others to get him they will offer more. Surtain is not an over the hill has been who is past his prime and all washed up.
 

Ohiophinphan

Starter
Joined
Jul 28, 2002
Messages
3,294
Reaction score
0
Age
67
Location
Defiance, OH
I think Zgognina's value is, in part, because he is already signed to a league minimum contract for two more years. He will have a very limited cap impact on teams looking for a veteran DT who could give them 30 plays in a rotation and school some of their younger players. All for a good price!
 

korl68

Dolphins Fan since 1981
Joined
Feb 4, 2004
Messages
1,354
Reaction score
0
Age
51
Location
Orlando
Ozzy said:
Show me a link that says Miami won't be getting a first round pick for Surtain! I mean one that has a quote from his agent, Saban, or a team that says so! Otherwise this is moot.........
Yes! :yeahthat:
 

thepoolboy

FinHeaven VIP
Joined
Feb 9, 2005
Messages
761
Reaction score
0
It's been reported all over the net that we want to rid ourselves of Surtain's contract prior to March 2nd. If this is this case, some teams may wait to see if he is outright released. If we are desperate to trade him then his value is lowered. If we cannot trade him prior to March 2nd, we should go into free agency with his salary still on the books. You don't outright release a top-5 corner.
 

laxcoach

Pirate Lacrosse King
Joined
Aug 22, 2004
Messages
976
Reaction score
610
Are you kidding?

This makes me laugh. Half the people here complain that Speilman doesn't know how to negotiate. Then, you see other posts where people panic and want to give away the farm.

I mean, they may not be the same people, but if they are, shame on you. The keys to negotiation are power, patience, and resolve. Panic is not in the list. Neither is desperation.

If I were in Saban/Speilman's shoes, I would make sure that I get under the cap WITHOUT cutting/trading Surtain or Zgonina. That forces the suitors hands. If a standout FA is there, you can always release a guy later.
 

Nublar7

Retired
Finheaven VIP
Joined
Aug 13, 2003
Messages
35,709
Reaction score
246
Location
120 mi west of Costa Rica
thepoolboy said:
It's been reported all over the net that we want to rid ourselves of Surtain's contract prior to March 2nd. If this is this case, some teams may wait to see if he is outright released. If we are desperate to trade him then his value is lowered. If we cannot trade him prior to March 2nd, we should go into free agency with his salary still on the books. You don't outright release a top-5 corner.
HAHAHA! Release Surtain? :roflmao: Won't happen my friend. Trade is the only way to aquire Surtain's services. Something will probably get done this week at the combine.
 

thepoolboy

FinHeaven VIP
Joined
Feb 9, 2005
Messages
761
Reaction score
0
Nublar7 said:
HAHAHA! Release Surtain? :roflmao: Won't happen my friend. Trade is the only way to aquire Surtain's services. Something will probably get done this week at the combine.
It can go one of two ways...either a bidding war ensues and we get a higher pick or teams sense our need to trade him and back off.

I've been checking other team's fan sites around the net and many are anticipating the latter. I'm not suggesting anything - it's just that the people on these sites can assess what their teams may do better than I could.
 

Nicky Napoleon

We'll Miss You Nubs
Joined
Mar 12, 2004
Messages
2,976
Reaction score
1
Age
37
Location
Orlando,Fl
Ohiophinphan said:
I would rather have a 2nd and a 3rd than one first. Assuming we can get either.
This is a great argument!!! A 2nd and a 3rd would be ideal for us because in the second round there will be alot of good RB's available, guys like Barber and maybe Fason. The 3rd should be a good spot for a QB, my choice being McPhearson(even if it is a reach). If we get Fason and McPhearson for Surtain and Zgonina Id call that a good day. Add in Derrick Johnson with our first and Id call it a great day!
 

Nublar7

Retired
Finheaven VIP
Joined
Aug 13, 2003
Messages
35,709
Reaction score
246
Location
120 mi west of Costa Rica
thepoolboy said:
It can go one of two ways...either a bidding war ensues and we get a higher pick or teams sense our need to trade him and back off.

I've been checking other team's fan sites around the net and many are anticipating the latter. I'm not suggesting anything - it's just that the people on these sites can assess what their teams may do better than I could.
Ok, but there is no way we just flat out release Surtain. I think Saban will make enough cuts that we are under before we trade him. With that said I still see us striking a deal next week at the combine before the start of FA.
 

thepoolboy

FinHeaven VIP
Joined
Feb 9, 2005
Messages
761
Reaction score
0
Nublar7 said:
Ok, but there is no way we just flat out release Surtain. I think Saban will make enough cuts that we are under before we trade him. With that said I still see us striking a deal next week at the combine before the start of FA.
I would cut half our roster before I would even look at Surtain. Unfortunately (or fortunately) most of our players do not have an $8 million + cap figure. I really hope Saban shows some mettle here and gets a fair deal.
 

Ozzy

Premium Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2002
Messages
5,405
Reaction score
2
Location
Miami FLA
thepoolboy said:
It's been reported all over the net that we want to rid ourselves of Surtain's contract prior to March 2nd. If this is this case, some teams may wait to see if he is outright released. If we are desperate to trade him then his value is lowered. If we cannot trade him prior to March 2nd, we should go into free agency with his salary still on the books. You don't outright release a top-5 corner.
The net? You mean people like us have been speculating?

The only real report came from his agent saying how the team gave them permission to shop himself around. That does not sound too desperate to me.
 

Ozzy

Premium Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2002
Messages
5,405
Reaction score
2
Location
Miami FLA
laxcoach said:
This makes me laugh. Half the people here complain that Speilman doesn't know how to negotiate. Then, you see other posts where people panic and want to give away the farm.

I mean, they may not be the same people, but if they are, shame on you. The keys to negotiation are power, patience, and resolve. Panic is not in the list. Neither is desperation.

If I were in Saban/Speilman's shoes, I would make sure that I get under the cap WITHOUT cutting/trading Surtain or Zgonina. That forces the suitors hands. If a standout FA is there, you can always release a guy later.
I would expect that this is exactly what they're doing. Maybe Zgonina, but not one of your best players who is still playing like it.
 

Awsi Dooger

Super Duper Club
Joined
Feb 8, 2005
Messages
9,449
Reaction score
2,946
Location
Las Vegas
Sorry, but as an old journalism grad this busted me up

OneHondo said:
Surtain is not an over the hill has been who is past his prime and all washed up.
Wow! Talk about a repetitive combo, all in one medium-length, 18-word sentence.

Surtain is not:

A) over the hill
B) has been
C) past his prime
D) all washed up
 
Top Bottom