Zim’s Grades For The Game: Week 1 Edition | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zim’s Grades For The Game: Week 1 Edition

As the saying goes: "Perception becomes reality"

Those who wanted to see an average workman like Tua outing as a glowing success perceived that to be.

Conversely those dug in against Tua, as if their FH reputation and credibility is at risk, perceived Tua's performance to amount to a lot less than it actually was.

Personally, I saw a need for some improvement, but a QB who got the job done when needed and who continues now beyond his HS and college careers to be a winner (70% so far and 2-0 against Bellychick.)

our defense was bad vs the run? First play was 35 yards in one carry, after that?? 90 yards in 29 attempts, that is 3.10 yards per carry.
Maybe that is why Jones had a good game, we needed it to concentrate on the run, and gave some easy passes for the rookie QB, but they were short passes, not big plays

I think our defense was very good
Check TOP, NE dominated our defense. Also, the third downs numbers. NE was able to get as many yards as they needed whenever they needed it. I really hope we don't think that effort is good enough for Buffalo. It's not close.

ok but either way he was just trying to trow it away
The sad thing is the play right before.

He scrambled and and converted with Smythe for the 1st.

Unfortunately kindly was too far downfield nullifying the conversion.

If Kindley isn't downfield, chances are very likely there is no TO the next play IMO of course.

Week 1, we have one of the youngest teams in the league. We're only going to get better.

Don't care what team was facing the Pats at their place opening game, it was going to be a one score game. Tough tough as hell to win up there. For any a team and we did.

There are many negatives and causes for concern, but finding a way to win was not one. And you know what, that's the most important stat of the game.

I would give Tua a B- the Oline was really bad on obvious passing downs.

Waddle had a big drop on 3rd down right when Tua seemed to be getting in a grove again.

Gesicki was nowhere to be found how was he ok?

Secondary play was elite
Pats strategy as long as we have X and a strong secondary moving forward.

1. Run the ball.
2. Throw to the TE's.

3. Play Action to WR's using picks.

They have a good o-line, so each game with them will be a dog fight since we can't seem to get any pressure on Mac.

I had mentioned this before the game, but I think this is actually by design from Belichick. Going back and watching film, you could see a lot of Tua's pre-season success was up the middle. You take away the middle of the field and make him use his arm to throw to the sidelines.
Belichick is known to be the best coach in the league and maybe ever who has the ability to take away what the opposing team does best. So if he thought that taking away the middle of the field and forcing Tua to pass the ball to the sidelines was the best way to beat the Dolphins, his defense did an excellent job taking away the middle of the field.
Yet in the end his team still lost the game and the Dolphins won and that’s all that matters,

We are!!

I know a lot of you guys criticize my grades. I get it. Not everyone sees it as I do. But I will never have an Anti-MD narrative. The grades and criticisms I give are in the hope we improve those areas.

As for Tua. I’ve never been anti-Tua. I’ve never joined the “Watson” brigade. Just the opposite in fact. The main reason his grade was low from me is because he should have and could have gotten us out of some bad play calls and into something better…. I haven’t seen that from him yet. As of right now…I just need to see more from him. That interception yesterday was potentially a game costing turn over.

Our OL is really a disgrace and played like it yesterday. To me….A lot of that blame is on Grier. I had a 2nd round grade on Austin Jackson. Deiter is a failed experiment as is Jessie Davis. I just think that with the assets we put into the OL…..It would look like New England’s line did yesterday. So, I don’t see how they deserved anything higher than a D -.

One more point on my grades….I don’t have an all 22 view of every play. I’m watching the network broadcast just like you are. This is what I base my grades on. My grades are intended to start a conversation. That’s all. 1 Miami Dolphins Fan’s opinion. Feel free to criticize them whenever you want.
My point was that one group’s grades definitely affect another group’s grades. The patchwork oline absolutely sucked so it definitely affected Tua’s grade and the RBs grades. That wasn’t addressed and not sure how ud quantify that. As far as Tua is concerned he’ll never do enough to satisfy this bipolar fanbase. He had two big time drives that scored TDs and won the game. The throw to Wilson was elite, but the defender made an even better play to break it up. The back shoulder throw to Parker and Waddle were elite. Like you I rewatch every play of every game and thought Tua played really well. So did Flo. There were a couple of bad drops that killed drives, the oline gave him no time and the TEs were invisible. We played a good, well coached team on the road and still won. Good teams win games like yesterday. On to Buffalo.

Interestingly enough Jones got hit more than Tua:

Jones passed the ball 36 times in the game and Tua only threw the ball 27 times. Jones also doesn’t move around in the pocket as well as Tua. So the additional throws and his lack of movement in the pocket is likely the reason Jones took more hits.

Uh, those were both terrible throws that the wide receiver bailed them out on. He was late on the end zone throw to Wilson and missed an open rb by 5 yards out of bounds. If you want to hold your hat on the waddle drop as your example of one great throw, go for it. Any high school QB worth their salt can make that throw.

Show me where he stretched the field, used the middle of the field at all and made the Patriots even flinch on defense. They were also without one of the best corners in the league too. He needs to be better and soon.
Especially the sideline pass to Parker he had a step on db. If pass isn’t underthrown it’s prob a td

Back
Top Bottom