Zim’s Grades For The Game: Week 3 Edition | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zim’s Grades For The Game: Week 3 Edition

Good write up, no disagreements, just a couple of additions which jumped off the page at me. J. Phillips missing way too many tackles. He misses a few because he goes chest high at smaller guys who go under him. Also, any time I pay close attention to him, a tackle is standing him straight up for 3 seconds. Need better or find better.

One other observation about our punter. Forget the butt punt they just need to practice that situation. Not only is he booming them regularly, that punt AFTER the safety sent the returner back towards his own 5... those are expected to be caught closer to the 25. That was HUGE, give the amount of time left in the game. Even a 10 yard difference there and we likely lose, plus it would have taken less time on the play. That was an underrated moment IMO.

I sure hope it loses strength like they are predicting, and stays away from the MS coast.

It does seem to me Mcd is too conservative until he gets behind and, particularly behind in 4Q. Gets ahead and goes conservative. I know I'm making this too black and white, but I wish he'd start games a little more aggressively.
I think a lot of that is McDaniel feeling out the defense so that he can exploit them later in the game.

Thanks, Zim! I wasn't expecting Miami to win this one, but wanted to see if they could play with Buffalo. After the Bills demolished both the Rams and Titans, I wasn't so sure.

Clearly the Dolphins have closed the gap! I'm with you. I still think Buffalo is the team to beat in the AFC, but Miami is in the conversation now.

I know Buffalo had some major injuries, but Miami is still without Byron Jones and the Dolphins run game is a work in progress. Meaning, the Dolphins could get better.

Four sacks, 20 pressures, 10 quarterback hits, a forced fumble and recovery, and a goal line stand! Credit the defense and the entire team for finding a way.

The bad for the D? Missed tackles. Too many of them. I get they were tired in 2H, but that won't win many games.
Minority of one. Best I'd give Mcd is a C. Play-calling wasn't good. Not bad, but I'm quite surprised Miami didn't target the weak secondary more - at one point having a 3rd string DB. If I were going to pass on that last set of plays at the 1, it would have been 1D. Given that, his strategy resulted in a 'W'
The Dolphins only ran 39 plays on offense. Four of those plays were at the end of the game when they got the ball on their one yard line and they gained no yards on two running plays and the pass on third down was incomplete. On fourth down they had the butt punt.

At the end of the second quarter Tua was injuries and Bridgewater came in for 3 plays and a then the offense punted the ball on 4th down.

So taking away the 4 Bridgewater plays and the offense trying the run out of they own end zone at the end of the game, Tua and the offense were only on the field for 31 offensive plays the entire game.

In those 31 plays, they were able to score 3 touchdown compared to the 2 touchdowns the Bills scored in 90 offensive plays. The issue with the offense yesterday wasn’t bad play calling or their inability to score when they had the ball. It was the fact the Bills offense controlled the ball for two thirds of the game and the Dolphins offense just didn’t get many opportunities to pass against the injury riddled Bills secondary.

Last edited:
I want to thank all of you for the well wishes. It means a ton to me and all our brothers in the west Florida coast for the next few days.
I am thinking about my fellow Floridians on the west coast and hoping you all stay safe and the hurricane doesn’t do much damage.

We are under a tropical storm warning here in the keys but it looks like we might avoid getting hit too hard.

It does seem to me Mcd is too conservative until he gets behind and, particularly behind in 4Q. Gets ahead and goes conservative. I know I'm making this too black and white, but I wish he'd start games a little more aggressively.
He was pretty aggressive throwing in the 4th against the Pats on obvious eat-the-clock running downs.... but maybe I am remembering wrong.

I do wish he threw a screen on 1st or 2nd down when they were in the endzone at the end yesterday. OR if he was being conservative to run clock, run it on 3rd and eat 35 seconds.

Want to point out Morestead’s 74 yard punt following the safety was instrumental in keeping the Bills from getting into FG position.

Even on the Butt Punt Morestead showed perfect ball placement hitting the fat part of Sherfield’s cheek so the ball would bounce all the way out of the end zone for only a safety.

McD probably had them work on that in practice. He’s so smart.

Bills fans complaining about weather is ironic. I went to the University at Buffalo, and the Bills organization was paying $12 an hour + free tickets + dinner for people to shovel snow out of the stadium before games each winter. I went to the one game years ago where people just dug seats in the snow because you couldn’t even get to the actual seats. They won’t say a word when it’s sub freezing with 10MPH wind when we play them in December.

I will say this win was great living in New York. I hear “Bills Mafia” EVERYWHERE I go when they are winning. I haven’t even seen a Bills hat today at work and I know dozens of guys who have them.

Not yet….But the latest tracks definitely don’t look good. I’ll make a decision tonight.
Our house in the Redlands was totally destroyed by Hurricane Andrew in 1992. So I know how bad hurricanes can be and they are nothing to fool around with.
Don’t wait too long if you decide to leave and go somewhere else. The last time we evacuated north when a Hurricane was headed toward us, it took us over 10 hours to drive to Orlando and that drive usually takes us a little less than 5 hours.

Also filling up your gas tank if you are driving any great distance can be a problem once you get on the road because everyone else is looking to fill up and gas stations quickly run out of gas.

Back
Top Bottom