Zim’s Grades For The Game: Week 3 Edition | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zim’s Grades For The Game: Week 3 Edition

Our house in the Redlands was totally destroyed by Hurricane Andrew in 1992. So I know how bad hurricanes can be and they are nothing to fool around with.
Don’t wait too long if you decide to leave and go somewhere else. The last time we evacuated north when a Hurricane was headed toward us, it took us over 10 hours to drive to Orlando and that drive usually takes us a little less than 5 hours.

Also filling up your gas tank if you are driving any great distance can be a problem once you get on the road because everyone else is looking to fill up and gas stations quickly run out of gas.
Thanks Brother. Good advice that will be taken.

Zim- Be safe Always. thanks for calling me out. Who is the other fan of your weekly thread....:bye:

Great write up. I already questioned our use of time outs. The 3rd down play from the endzone was a tough one as well.

Passing on 3rd and 18 with the Bridge too Far coming off the bench was also a bad play call. Lucky we didnt give up 3 there.

thanks again for the work you put in.

BTW, the only Dolphin who didn't see the field yesterday was Salvon Ahmed. Pretty good strategy considering the heat.

I liked the call. They just didn't sell it and a very good defender happened to sniff it out.

The oline was creating no room for the RBs and they couldn't ask Tua to go for another sneak after being bent in half the first time. The play action dump off into the flat was a good safe call that works a good percentage of the time and would have at least given the punter a little room.
Yeah, I didn't have any problem with it. It was a high percentage pass that simply didn't work and the Dolphins were in real danger of getting a safety. The fact that they did get one on the punt really isn't relevant to the call before. The two runs prior to the pass had resulted in no yards.

I went back and forth whether it would have been the right call to just take the safety on fourth down or not. The fact is that if that butt punt hadn't gone out of the back of the end zone, they could have fallen on it for a touchdown.

Option A: punt the ball. Best case scenario is likely that they get the ball on our side of the field (maybe around the 40) and need to go 40 yards to win the game on a touchdown.

Option B: take the safety, kickoff from the 20. The likely scenario would put them at their 35 to 40 yard line needing a field foal to win. Problably would need to drive it around 30 yards to make a long one.

A huge key was how far Morstead punted the ball on the free kick. Considering he could have been a huge goat after the butt punt, he made a huge play punting a 74 yard hanger on the free kick that they only returned to their 23. Also took 8 seconds off the clock. So option B, which wasn't our intentional play, turned out better the likely scenario because they were about 15 yards farther back than we would have anticipated. After an incompletion and an 18 yard pass, they were then where we expected them to be after the free kick.......by with an additional 13 seconds off the clock and the clock running. One incompletion later, and they had it at their own 41 yard line with 56 seconds left. An expected free kick result would have had them about right there but with an additional 30 seconds on the clock.

Thanks and be safe Zim.

By the way, did you get to see Hills response to "butt punt"

He said Sherfield needs to catch that with both butt cheeks next time. Because he's got strong butt cheeks lol

I want to thank all of you for the well wishes. It means a ton to me and all our brothers in the west Florida coast for the next few days.
"Batten down the hatches", Bro. We'll get through this, be safe. Hopefully you'll get to see the Thursday game and tell us what you think. Much Appreciated!

A quick note to all fans of this weekly thread (Both of you): Due to Hurricane Ian Preparations in the Tampa Area, this will be an abbreviated post.

With that being said……WHAT A WIN!! In one of the best games I’ve ever seen, a bend but don’t break defense won us a crucial AFC East matchup. The Bills are the best team in the NFL….Of that, there is little doubt. BUT…..And I don’t believe I’m going to type this…..They don’t have Tua. In my opinion, we are watching Tua become the best QB in this league. Josh Allen included. Anyway, on to the grades.

QB’s — The Good: Well….All of it except for the 3 plays Bridgewater was in. I can only recount 2 maybe 3 passes I’d want back if I were Tua. Hyper Accurate, clutch, unbelievable. He did what was asked and did it in near perfect fashion. Incredible 3rd and 22 throw to Waddle.

The Bad: Not too much. Milano probably should have had a pick six…But we dropped about 6 of those from Allen. Oh and Bridgewater is not good. Period

The Grade: A. No need to say more.

WR’s — The Good: Waddle is clutch. Tyreek is a distraction for defenses and all River Cracraft does is catch Touchdowns!!

The Bad: N/A

The Grade: A. I don’t think Albert Einstein could come up with a formula to stop our receivers.

RB — The Good: 2 TD’s by Edmonds. Some good runs. They just didn’t get enough opportunities because we only ran 39 plays.

The Bad: Not being able to get yards late in the 4th when we needed a first down. That’s it.

The Grade: B +. A short but very effective day for our RB’s. If they could have given us breathing room late in the 4th, it would have been an A grade.

TE’s — The Good: Gesicki with a one handed grab. Smythe with 3 catches. Again a short but effective day.

The Bad: I’m gonna ding them as well for not clearing holes late. Other than that….They were good.

The Grade: B +. Solid Day.

OL — The Good: Von Who?? What a great job done by this crew. 1 sack allowed and only 4 pressures. Amazing.

The Bad: I’ll say it again…They need to open holes in the running game late in the 4th quarter.

The Grade: B. The highest grade for this unit since I started this weekly thread. And yes….I’m was shocked how well they played.

DL — The Good: Josh Allen took so many hits yesterday his mother had to get x-rayed after the game. The pressure Allen was facing all day was amazing. The Bills were one dimensional all day and it showed. The Holding penalty that Ogbah caused won us the game.

The Bad: Let me state this in advance: I am not a fan of the bend but don’t break defense. Not at all. This DL was a huge part of the bending. But they came up big when it mattered. I still want to see more from these guys.

The Grade: B +. They made the plays they had to make at the time they had to make them.

LB’s — The amount of tackles this crew had in the 90 + plays they played in that heat was amazing. Buffalo’s game plan was clearly to dink and dunk all day and victimize Baker and the rest of our LB’s. After a slow start, we made some adjustments and shut them down when we had to.

The Bad: Coverage. We need a LB that can cover a RB or a tight end. Let’s hope Tindall turns out to be that guy.

The Grade: B - . While we made crucial plays, it was just too easy for Allen to do what he did. However, we made the adjustments and won the game.

DB’s — The Good: They ran the equivalent of the Boston Marathon yesterday trying to cover the 2nd best receiving corp in the AFC East. They did a good job.

The Bad: We need to take advantage of Josh Allen mistakes and actually intercept the balls we get our hands on. Other than that, great job.

The Grade: B +. Classic bend but don’t break day for these guys.

ST’s — The Good. Sanders made his kicks. Morstead’s Butt Punt will live in infamy. The shame of it is…..Except for that he was booming punts yesterday. Great job. The coverage units were good.

The Bad: Our kick return unit is not good. Mostert is a good back…..He’s not so good in the return game. I want more out of this unit.

The Grade: B -.

Coaching — The Good: Offensively, McDaniel called a great game. Defensively, we had a plan and stuck to it. I’m not sure I really liked the plan…..But it worked.

The Bad: 3rd and 11 from your own 1 yard line…The Bills have no time outs and you throw a pass?? Really bad call by McDaniel and that brings the grade down a notch.

The Grade: B -. McDaniel has this team at 3 and 0. Amazing.

BONUS GRADE — The Sun: Grade A. The Sun took out about 8 different Bills’ starters in the 4th quarter alone. I LOVE listening to Bills fans crying about the heat…. What a great home field advantage.

Conclusion: Just an amazing game to attend. Watching Bill’s fans leave the stadium depressed yesterday was worth the price of a Season Ticket alone. The Bills are banged up and have to go to Baltimore next week. If we can pull off a win in Cincinnati on a short week…..We could be 2 games up on Buffalo by this time next week. What an amazing thought.
Good stuff Zimm, stay safe Brother!

Back
Top Bottom