Zim’s Grades For The Season: QB’s and RB’s | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zim’s Grades For The Season: QB’s and RB’s

DZimmer000

BJJ Black Belt
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
I figured I had to do this at the end to give my perspective on where this franchise is going. I’m sure a lot of you are going to disagree with my season ending grades.... That’s more than acceptable. I want to hear your thoughts. I’m going to go over position by position instead of grouping..... So I’ll be splitting this up. Today is the QB’s and RB’s.

QB’s - C : Fitz and Tua...... What can I say that hasn’t been said in a million other threads/posts? Fitz played decent this year. Actually a little above that. The win against the Raiders was miraculous. He is a serviceable starting QB in this league..... No Question. However, I don’t think he has what it takes to take a team to a Super Bowl.... There were times he made this rag-tag offense look good. And we need a veteran back up, but do we re-sign Fitz? I’m actually against it. This should be Tua’s team. Let’s see what he has.... Sign Mariotta or someone like that.

As for Tua. Ugh. He did some good out there. He did more bad this year. There were times you saw the potential. And there were times (like yesterday for example) where you got worried. So.... I’ll put it in perspective: He only played 9 games. He had almost no talent around him. A bad OC in Gailey. A shoddy OL. No real RB to speak of.

So....What do you do with Tua? Cut him? Trade him? Build around him? That seems to be the debate around here. The answer is simple, you take all of the draft picks and build around him. Let’s see what he has. I’m preaching patience with him for now.

Fitz would have gotten a B - on his own. I thought Tua’s play brought that down a little for the year.

RB’s - D + : Not one of our backs had a good year. The closest guy to that was Gaskin. He looked decent out there at times. He caught the ball well. He has decent vision and speed when he needs to turn it on. COVID-19 and an injury limited his availability..... Which hurt this grade. IMO...He’s the only guy we return with next year.

Ahmed is JAG and is a 3rd backup in this league. He had a couple nice runs.... But again..... Nothing special.

I had high hopes for Brieda. Great speed. I thought it was a good trade by Grier. WRONG. Brieda was a ghost all year. I don’t think he comes back.

All the rest of the many RB’s did nothing to impress me in any way. We are going to have to draft an RB pretty high this year.

Gaskin got this group into C territory. The rest of the group dropped that grade to a D+.

I’ll do the WR’s and TE’s next.

Good write up. I agree with your grades and overall assessment. Ahmed and Gaskin deserve second looks. Ahmed seems to have better vision and speed than Gaskin but I don't think either is a work horse. We should draft a RB in the first 3 round if not sooner.

Fitz gets a "B"? His only good games were against the two worst teams in football, and he completely sucked in the 2nd half of the first Jets game. You had it right the first time, both are "C's"

That's fair.

Miami's offensive talent down the stretch was tough to overcome. All you have to do is compare that with other NFL teams.

Tua has a ways to go, but I don't agree with the narrative by some to draft a quarterback at #3. Middle round, sure.

The offseason should be about adding talent around Tua. Would be nice to find an elite pass rusher because if the Dolphins pass rush doesn't get home Miami is vulnerable to big plays.

I figured I had to do this at the end to give my perspective on where this franchise is going. I’m sure a lot of you are going to disagree with my season ending grades.... That’s more than acceptable. I want to hear your thoughts. I’m going to go over position by position instead of grouping..... So I’ll be splitting this up. Today is the QB’s and RB’s.

QB’s - C : Fitz and Tua...... What can I say that hasn’t been said in a million other threads/posts? Fitz played decent this year. Actually a little above that. The win against the Raiders was miraculous. He is a serviceable starting QB in this league..... No Question. However, I don’t think he has what it takes to take a team to a Super Bowl.... There were times he made this rag-tag offense look good. And we need a veteran back up, but do we re-sign Fitz? I’m actually against it. This should be Tua’s team. Let’s see what he has.... Sign Mariotta or someone like that.

As for Tua. Ugh. He did some good out there. He did more bad this year. There were times you saw the potential. And there were times (like yesterday for example) where you got worried. So.... I’ll put it in perspective: He only played 9 games. He had almost no talent around him. A bad OC in Gailey. A shoddy OL. No real RB to speak of.

So....What do you do with Tua? Cut him? Trade him? Build around him? That seems to be the debate around here. The answer is simple, you take all of the draft picks and build around him. Let’s see what he has. I’m preaching patience with him for now.

Fitz would have gotten a B - on his own. I thought Tua’s play brought that down a little for the year.

RB’s - D + : Not one of our backs had a good year. The closest guy to that was Gaskin. He looked decent out there at times. He caught the ball well. He has decent vision and speed when he needs to turn it on. COVID-19 and an injury limited his availability..... Which hurt this grade. IMO...He’s the only guy we return with next year.

Ahmed is JAG and is a 3rd backup in this league. He had a couple nice runs.... But again..... Nothing special.

I had high hopes for Brieda. Great speed. I thought it was a good trade by Grier. WRONG. Brieda was a ghost all year. I don’t think he comes back.

All the rest of the many RB’s did nothing to impress me in any way. We are going to have to draft an RB pretty high this year.

Gaskin got this group into C territory. The rest of the group dropped that grade to a D+.

I’ll do the WR’s and TE’s next.
Tua and Burrow had the same kind of year as rookies. I think both will be very good QB's, BOTH.
Herbert, he had a great rookie season. Is Herbert getting better? I don't know, maybe we saw his ceiling, one thing I am sure, both Burrow and Tua will get better. Burrow needs better offensive line, Tua needs better of everything.
We KNEW this was going to happen. Remember when we said with the 30th pick, PICK A RUNNING BACK, we need one. Well, we did not get that running back in the draft. We built defense and offensive line. Still needs more, but it was a good foundation. Sewell would be great for the team, that move alone would help the running and passing immediately.
I believe we need to sign a NUMBER 1 receiver as a Free Agent.
If we are able to do that, and draft one good receiver in the draft, then we can have a nice group of receivers:
1. Number 1 receiver through FA
2. Parker
3. Draft
4. Wilson
5. Bowden
6. Hurns
7. Preston Williams
8. Grant

Now we are talking, and with our 3 receivers, an improved offensive line, and a great running back drafted in the second round, this offense would improve a lot in 1 year.

When you have a real number 1 receiver, and you can have your number 2 as a number 2, then that player becomes even better. This team is closer than we thing, next year we should be able to make the playoffs with improvement on offense.

WE NEED A VERY GOOD RUNNING BACK

Fitz gets a "B"? His only good games were against the two worst teams in football, and he completely sucked in the 2nd half of the first Jets game. You had it right the first time, both are "C's"
If we give Tua a D then what do we give Burrow? D?
I think BOTH as rookies did good. Now, if we compared him to Herbert, then both get a C but if we compared them to the majority of rookies, then they are around B-.
Do you realized that Goff, in his second year had a QBR lower than Tua and played in the Pro Bowl?
Actually Goff in his 5 years only in 1 year he has a better QBR, but has 2 Pro Bowls. And yes, he was the number 1 pick.
Tua, number 5 coming from major injury and no pre season.
Wentz, second picked, also a lower QBR in his first year than Tua, and yes, he was picked second overall.
And we are giving Tua a D grade?

Parker is NOT a number 1 receiver in a good team, if we are able to make him the number 2 then we have a good offense, IF WE IMPROVE OUR OL.

Sewell will do that IMMEDIATELY.

Jets should go after a QB second, or trade that pick. If they pick Sewell, then we should trade our pick for a team wanting Fields. I think the only 3 players deserving to be picked in first 3 spots are Lawrence, Fields and Sewell.

Really like Gaskin as a third down back going forward. Dude is an amazing pass blocker.

I'll chime in....

QB - C, the play at times by both was inconsistent. It's not surprising considering one is a 16 year vet who never won anything worth a damn. Then the other being a rookie with no off-season coming off an injury. The skill positions were decimated or just flat out awful. The OC was favoring the the veteran because he knew him better. There was more they could have done, but they needed more help than they got.

RB - C -, Myles Gaskin us a solid running back who can play the position at a high level. The issue is he is a jack of all trades but master of none. His skill set is valuable and he should always have a place on this team. Other than that the others were non-factors. Howard and Brieda were big time busts. Then the lower level guys never showed enough on a consistent basis. Gaskin and Ahmed will be back, but we should look to add 2 or 3 guys in the off-season to improve the play.

I agree with your ratings. We could blow up our whole wide receiving core outside of Gesicki and if any of the rbs left I would not find myself walking to a high ledge. I would love a better center and on the receiver end a reliable slot type, Landry, Edelman, Beasley type would make Tua lose any insecurity issues he may have. Playmakers are lacking and should be a priority.

Tua and Burrow had the same kind of year as rookies. I think both will be very good QB's, BOTH.
Herbert, he had a great rookie season. Is Herbert getting better? I don't know, maybe we saw his ceiling, one thing I am sure, both Burrow and Tua will get better. Burrow needs better offensive line, Tua needs better of everything.
We KNEW this was going to happen. Remember when we said with the 30th pick, PICK A RUNNING BACK, we need one. Well, we did not get that running back in the draft. We built defense and offensive line. Still needs more, but it was a good foundation. Sewell would be great for the team, that move alone would help the running and passing immediately.
I believe we need to sign a NUMBER 1 receiver as a Free Agent.
If we are able to do that, and draft one good receiver in the draft, then we can have a nice group of receivers:
1. Number 1 receiver through FA
2. Parker
3. Draft
4. Wilson
5. Bowden
6. Hurns
7. Preston Williams
8. Grant

Now we are talking, and with our 3 receivers, an improved offensive line, and a great running back drafted in the second round, this offense would improve a lot in 1 year.

When you have a real number 1 receiver, and you can have your number 2 as a number 2, then that player becomes even better. This team is closer than we thing, next year we should be able to make the playoffs with improvement on offense.

WE NEED A VERY GOOD RUNNING BACK
I’ll do TE’s and WR’s next. Overall.... I agree with you.

If we give Tua a D then what do we give Burrow? D?
I think BOTH as rookies did good. Now, if we compared him to Herbert, then both get a C but if we compared them to the majority of rookies, then they are around B-.
Do you realized that Goff, in his second year had a QBR lower than Tua and played in the Pro Bowl?
Actually Goff in his 5 years only in 1 year he has a better QBR, but has 2 Pro Bowls. And yes, he was the number 1 pick.
Tua, number 5 coming from major injury and no pre season.
Wentz, second picked, also a lower QBR in his first year than Tua, and yes, he was picked second overall.
And we are giving Tua a D grade?

Parker is NOT a number 1 receiver in a good team, if we are able to make him the number 2 then we have a good offense, IF WE IMPROVE OUR OL.

Sewell will do that IMMEDIATELY.

Jets should go after a QB second, or trade that pick. If they pick Sewell, then we should trade our pick for a team wanting Fields. I think the only 3 players deserving to be picked in first 3 spots are Lawrence, Fields and Sewell.
I believe in Tua but from what I saw in Burrow he was much, much better on a weaker team.

Pretty much agree with your ratings... Tua underwhelmed and our RBs would make decent back-ups.

Back
Top Bottom