Zim’s Grades Week 3 | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zim’s Grades Week 3

A case where stats lie. The running game worked very well in the first half in setting the tone. The backs were a big part of the passing game, too. The numbers declined in the second half when we went ultra-conservative, but the outcome wasn't in doubt then.

On most teams that is a D, on the Miami Dolphins, whose leading rusher was a QB last year, that is enough to make the honor roll.

This was a tough spot. Thursday night game on the road. Typically, the road team loses these games. I would say we dominated this one:

QB - A : what can you say about Fitz in this one? 90% completion percentage. Well played all around by Fitz. Easily deserved A here.

RB - B : Solid B for the RB’s here. Gaskin was all over the place in the first half. He had a great run to close it out. Brieda played well and Howard with another touchdown. Nice Job.

WR - B : A solid B here as well. The main issue here though is a lack of separation for our guys. Besides that, Parker while noticeably slowed because of the Hammy, was very good. Williams with a nice TD. Even Grant showed up. If they ever start getting a little space, they’re gonna be tough to stop.

OL - B+ : Very nice job running the ball. Pass pro was good too. The 2 rookies are playing extremely well. What more can you say? Good job here.

TE - A : Great game by the TE’s. Gesicki is turning into the best tight end in the league. Period.

DL - B- : Not bad tonight. We even got some pressure. Who would have thunk it? Still, we got gashed on some runs. And the pressure wasn’t consistent. But that’s a huge improvement over the Bills game.

LB - B : Van Noy was good. You noticed him tonight. Baker was decent and no stupid penalties. Van Ginkel with a sack. Solid effort.

DB - B- : Iggy Biggy Noganny rebounded well for a rookie that got destroyed just 4 days ago. Props to him. X had a pick. The safety play was good. A little to much ground given up pre snap on some plays. Tackling needs to get better as well. But good job by this crew.

ST - A : Sanders was kicking bombs. Hack punted well. Coverage teams were good. Solid A here.

Coaching - A : Very well done by Flores and his coaches. The Defense mixed up coverages, which was refreshing. The offense stuck to the game plan all the way through. I can be a little rough on Flores at times....But not here. Great coaching helped tonight. As for Grier, I have been notoriously tough on him. Well.... I gotta give him credit when it’s due. It’s Due here. The 2 rookie Offensive Lineman look like home runs so far. Kindly is a beast. I’m very impressed. Equally so with Jackson. He’s a stud at LT. Nice job by Grier there.

Great effort by the guys tonight on a short week. It’s gonna make the long weekend even sweeter for sure. 1-2 after 3 which is where a lot of people thought we would be.
I think you went way over board with your grades. Gesicki the best TE in the NFL? He caught one pass last night. The Oline did well in the first half but pretty bad in the 2nd half. Love the way Gaskins is running but he finished with 3ypc.

It was a solid effort but lets not get carried away.

He didn't seem to be a factor in the game plan second half but I think Miami was really using that second half to work on their running game, which involves more Smythe than Gesicki. In all fairness though, his one catch was a TD and he drew to other PI calls, one in the endzone. There's no question he's a dynamic threat in the passing game.
i was not implying that Gesicki is not a dynamic receiver. I just don’t see him as one of the best TE’s in the league because of his weakness in the running game. As you point out, he was not utilized in the second half because the Dolphins were running the ball and therefore he was mostly on the sidelines and not in the game. I think he is outstanding in the passing game of the Dolphins and I expect him to continue to be one of the top receivers on the team for the next several years. Yet to be considered the best TE in the league I think the TE must also be a positive factor in the running game as much as in the passing game. That is why I see him more as a big slot receiver than a typical TE in the NFL.

I think you went way over board with your grades. Gesicki the best TE in the NFL? He caught one pass last night. The Oline did well in the first half but pretty bad in the 2nd half. Love the way Gaskins is running but he finished with 3ypc.

B i n g o

I think to Gaskins benefit they were using him the second half to take time off the clock more so than adding touchdowns on the Jaguars. Didn’t want to run the score up like Bill up North.

I was surprised, when running the clock, RF often called the snap with a lot of time on the clock

Yes. Fitzpatrick did that early to mid 4th with tons of time on the clock. I was thinking of Matt Ryan essentially giving away the Super Bowl by insisting on snapping it too soon throughout the second half. The only reason I wasn't concerned last night was that an 0-2 road team is not going to give away a game like that, given the lopsided energy advantage.

The worst example was after an injury or a penalty. Maybe 10 minute mark. Something like that. I remember it was an unusual situation. Fitzpatrick didn't seem to be aware of that and senselessly snapped the ball with maybe 23 seconds on the clock.

Later it wasn't bad. The punt team was actually the best example that Miami had figured it out. Five minutes or thereabouts on the clock. The punt team lined up very early then let it run down to 1 second before the snap

Back
Top Bottom