Zone or Man Blocking | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zone or Man Blocking

I think the DB's play man and the LB's play zone. The safties dont play.

To me it looks like they're trying to start off with the basics and install a 2/3 zone right now with slide protections, but it's not working. Particulary on the right side.

Nevermind the breakdowns in pass protection, I watched Carey and Colombo try to execute a simple double team on the backside of an IZ where nothing but a disaster took place, with Colombo blocking Carey in the back while Carey was engaged with his man. If you're having trouble with that elementary aspect of zoning, I can't expect them to be able to perform the necessary functions in pass protection.

Pouncey at least understands the concepts of zone blocking from playing under Addazio and Meyer at Florida. Carey has no clue, and Colombo can't get to his landmark half the time. He's not quick enough.

I thought you only use a zone blocking scheme with athletic type guards/linemen

I thought you only use a zone blocking scheme with athletic type guards/linemen

That's the idea.

Not only athletic lineman, but intelligent linemen.

They have to be able to indentify their targets, and which technique to employ based on the look the defense gives them (down lineman, stacks, etc.) and understand angles and leverage. They all have to be on the same page to perfection and work in unison. The backside is just as important as the playside.

When you get 5 guys all on the same page zoning and executing their assignments correctly, it's one of the most beautiful things in football... and almost impossible to stop.

watch the falcons oline work in unison...individually they don't wow you but as a unit they gel very well...and they don't have 100 plus million invested in order to accomplish it

The 'phins employ a little known blocking scheme in the NFL called 'Cornfed Zone Blocking'. It's a new scheme in which slow, plodding linemen move in unison and miss assignments thereby creating huge gaps for defensive linemen and linebackers to run through in order to effectively stuff running lanes and murder the quarterback on a consistent basis.

Back
Top Bottom