Zonk sees great possibilities in retro running offense | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zonk sees great possibilities in retro running offense

Us old farts know that running the ball and playing great defense wins championships. It never went out of style.
The Giants used that formula to beat the Patriots in 2 super bowls.
Once you have that going for you, add the explosive WR and TE. Then you can move the ball against anyone.

So true. I have missed the power running game in Miami and seeing Jay Ajayi explode, run through tackles and do a pretty good Ricky Williams impersonation has made this year hopeful again.

The top ranked quarterbacks almost always have a running game to turn to as well. It goes hand in hand and makes the whole team better.

If the rumors are to be believed, one of the first things Gase determined was that we need stronger players in the middle of the OL. He wanted guards that can manhandle people and blast open interior run lanes.

So pretty much as soon as Gase arrived he identified this and has been working towards making it happen.

The rumor is that he wanted to get rid of Dallas Thomas, Billy Turner and Jamil Douglas in preseason. One of the reasons they were given so much time to fail was because Tannenbaum thought they had potential and would develop. When the 3 were waived, speculation was that Gase got his way.

If true, these are all good positive signs that Gase gets it, and that he is being allowed to build the team properly.

It looks like Gase gets it. We'll see from here, but the last two games are certainly the type of football Miami fans have been waiting for for a long time.

Let's see how we do against this Jets front 7 before we start talking about us changing identity radically. Balt managed a whopping 11 yards against NYJ. They didn't try to run it much, as admittedly their run game is not a feature of their offense, but they were averaging something just north of a yard a carry, which is pitiful.

Richardson, Williams, Maudlin, Harris, Pryor they've got some guys with real run-stuff talent.

If we can run on NYJ, that will be three consecutive decent run defenses we overcame. Then I'll start to think we can go on a run and change our playing mentality permanently.

Some key people have to stay healthy too. Albert, Pouncey, Ajayi in particular. They've all had their multiple injury woes.

If our O-Line can run block like we did the last 2 games, we'll be able to run against ANYONE. Having 5 strong O-Linemen that can move is a rarity. I also think that concentrating on the run will keep Albert and Pouncey healthy. It's a LOT easier for O-Linemen to get injured while pass blocking because they're waiting for contact rather than initiating it. If you're standing there waiting to get hit or pushed over, getting hurt is easier. If you're the one delivering the punishment, it's much less of a toll on your body.

Well in addition to having all of our starters healthy, Gase is using Gray to block as a fullback/tight end, and bringing in Sam Young as an extra tackle. These are Harbaugh style tactics. Combined with man power concepts in the blocking scheme, we become a different team for a series.

Next step, locking in those personnel mismatches with pick-and-choose hurry up offense. Don't let the defenses use those specialized player substitutions, exotic blitzes and unusual pass defense packages.

Make them commit to an 8 man box to stop the run, then play action.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I don't remember any of those rumors, but It always drove me nuts how the past staff kept bringing in pass blockers who were physically weak.

Douglas, Martin, Thomas. I mean you keep drafting the same guy over and over like that? I can't knock them for Turner because there was nothing about his college tape that made you think he wasn't physical. Turner's failure is kind of mind boggling. How is it possible to be an athlete at that level and you can't time your punch?

But I do know the first thing Gase said was he wanted to get bigger, stronger, faster, and more Alpha. So far the players he's cut and the players he's added, seem to fit that mold.

One thing not said, the new player friendly contract limit's practice time. This fact limit exactly how much of a sophisticated offense can be installed, especially the pass heavy component. Conversely the retro run scheme is very simplistic and relies mainly on execution, something I'll bet these players have done since High school ball.

Part 2 Gase can build upon this run scheme by adding a true PA pass scheme, something that THill does very well.

Exciting retro times indeed.

I don't remember any of those rumors, but It always drove me nuts how the past staff kept bringing in pass blockers who were physically weak.

Douglas, Martin, Thomas. I mean you keep drafting the same guy over and over like that? I can't knock them for Turner because there was nothing about his college tape that made you think he wasn't physical. Turner's failure is kind of mind boggling. How is it possible to be an athlete at that level and you can't time your punch?

But I do know the first thing Gase said was he wanted to get bigger, stronger, faster, and more Alpha. So far the players he's cut and the players he's added, seem to fit that mold.

I mostly agree. But the thing with Turner was that he was R~A~W. That was obvious. IMHO, the se guys have been taught the same basic techniques for like 13 years before they enter the NFL. If they still don't 'get it' then they probably never will. The basics are taught the same way at small schools as they are at big schools. Turner got by with big school athletic ability against small-school athletic ability, and didn't really need great technique to dominate because his physical ability level was so much higher than his opponents. But in the NFL, he needed technique ... and just as he failed to master it in college, he failed to master it in the pros.

To me there are some basics ... you need to have a certain modicum of strength ... and Jonathan Martin lacked that ... he was always a powderpuff. After that, the most important thing is technique. Sure, the guys with very long arms and phenomenal agility will be great instead of good, but without the requisite level of power and good technique, nobody will ever be satisfactory. We overlook those things ... and the results are predictably poor. Our draft picks Pouncey and Tunsil have those things and great physical traits. James showed better power last week than I've ever seen from him before, so he just might as well. Those are starting points.

when the rams won the super bowl the passing game set up the run and marshall faulk was a huge part of that passing game

that's back when he was a 1000 yard rusher and a 1000 yard receiver...back when he was the best player in the league even for a few years there

I dont buy the leagues headed towards ground and pound...Miami finally gets a little taste of a running game and not dumpster fire play on the oline and it's league wide philosophy changes

Pace was the best player in the league then. That rams team had some nice options though

This is not a new philosophy. This is how football works. You put together a decent oline. Establish a power running game. You stop the run on defense which forces your opponent to pass. Then if you can find a competent qb who isn't prone to turnovers and add a playmaker or 2 at wr/te, then you contend for a championship. It's not rocket science.

Back
Top Bottom