Zonk sees great possibilities in retro running offense | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zonk sees great possibilities in retro running offense

gafin

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Larry Csonka has punished some television sets with a similar violence and brutality he used to treat defensive players half a century ago during his days as a Miami Dolphins running back.

“Trust me,” Csonka says on a phone call this week, “in the last eight years I’ve destroyed at least seven or eight TV sets trying to watch the Dolphins -- where from as far away as Alaska I stuck my foot through the TV a couple of time because I was so pissed because of unnecessary errors and penalties.

“It’s idiotic things that happen that can cost you a game. And I’m seeing a much more disciplined team the last few weeks of this season.”

Csonka got a close look at the 2016 Dolphins last Sunday when he watched from the Miami sideline during the team’s victory over the Buffalo Bills. And the Hall of Famer who was a personification for power-running-football came away impressed with the latter day version of Dolphins physical football.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article110901352.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I've said this for two years. Ground and pound is about to become a trend again.

Makes sense. The league has been trending towards faster, more athletic lbs, able to cover more athletic and faster te's, however not better at stopping 230 lb running backs. Just like faster TE's became popular because LB's got too big and slow. It sure would be nice to be at the front of a trend instead of like 10 years behind though.

Us old farts know that running the ball and playing great defense wins championships. It never went out of style.
The Giants used that formula to beat the Patriots in 2 super bowls.
Once you have that going for you, add the explosive WR and TE. Then you can move the ball against anyone.

This guy is all man! I'm glad legends like him, Marino and Zach still follow and root for this team. If he likes Jay's pounder style running, I wonder what he thought of Ricky's punishing running.

Long Live Zonk. I love that he seems to get as pissed as we do when the team ****s up. He still has the fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Us old farts know that running the ball and playing great defense wins championships. It never went out of style.
Once you have that going for you, add the explosive WR and TE. Then you can move the ball against anyone.

Other franchises that have won multiple SB's since 1990 with either a great running game and a good D or a good running game and a great D: Dallas, Denver, Baltimore, New England, Pittsburgh, and Seattle has won 1, been to 2, and figure to compete for the foreseeable future. At the college level, who is the most dominant team on a consistent basis? The team with the biggest, baddest D and run game year in and year out. Ohio State, the last team to beat them in a critical game, had two top-5 picks, and 5 top-20 picks. We'll have a better idea after the bye, but the last two weeks have been very promising. Just need to see the team keep it up and make the necessary adjustments - so far so good for Gase in the adjustment department, promising sign. The same can be said for Vance Joseph.

Makes sense. The league has been trending towards faster, more athletic lbs, able to cover more athletic and faster te's, however not better at stopping 230 lb running backs. Just like faster TE's became popular because LB's got too big and slow. It sure would be nice to be at the front of a trend instead of like 10 years behind though.

Disagree to a point as Goddell is calling the shots. Roger is more worried about the bottom line & increasing popularity. So, we will see more games like the B12 v P12 during Bowl Season and fewer like Bmore & putzburgh a few yrs ago (1st team to 13 pts wins). That said, I prefer a game 31-28 kinda game.

Us old farts know that running the ball and playing great defense wins championships. It never went out of style.... Once you have that going for you, add the explosive WR and TE. Then you can move the ball against anyone.

Agree. I think how its it accomplished will differ it won't be the Woody Hayes 3 yds and cloud of dust hokum. IMO it will be more like Gibbs during his first tenure w/ the Skins but w/a touch more spread (not Zone Read).

I've said this for two years. Ground and pound is about to become a trend again.

Yep, the NFL is constantly copying whatever works so everyone is constantly evolving to beat whatever is popular at the time.

And were ALWAYS the team copying everyone elses style a few years too late.

Yep, the NFL is constantly copying whatever works so everyone is constantly evolving to beat whatever is popular at the time.

And were ALWAYS the team copying everyone elses style a few years too late.

If you notice, though, most of the teams that win SB's have good-to-great running games and defenses. When everyone was labeling the Colts as contenders a couples years ago, I was laughing. They were joke team then and now. Luck covers many sins, but the Colts are built like a structure with a beautiful exterior and a wobbly wood frame. Miami has suffered from this philosophy as well. You can go back as far as you want or look to recent teams. Building a great D and running game should be the top priorities for every FO and coaching staff. I loved Dak Prescott, but much of his early success is attributable to a dominant OL and running game. He's capitalizing on his opportunities, and his receiver talent has been poor with Bryant injured, but he has plenty of time on almost every play to process the field, and the running game grants him easy opportunities early. This is a dream developmental scenario for a QB (outside of lacking a great D to take the pressure off the O). If Gase can keep the run game consistent (doesn't have to be 200+ yards), and he plans a good play action attack, Tannehill will also have plenty of time and opportunities.

If you notice, though, most of the teams that win SB's have good-to-great running games and defenses. When everyone was labeling the Colts as contenders a couples years ago, I was laughing. They were joke team then and now. Luck covers many sins, but the Colts are built like a structure with a beautiful exterior and a wobbly wood frame. Miami has suffered from this philosophy as well. You can go back as far as you want or look to recent teams. Building a great D and running game should be the top priorities for every FO and coaching staff. I loved Dak Prescott, but much of his early success is attributable to a dominant OL and running game. He's capitalizing on his opportunities, and his receiver talent has been poor with Bryant injured, but he has plenty of time on almost every play to process the field, and the running game grants him easy opportunities early. This is a dream developmental scenario for a QB (outside of lacking a great D to take the pressure off the O). If Gase can keep the run game consistent (doesn't have to be 200+ yards), and he plans a good play action attack, Tannehill will also have plenty of time and opportunities.

I agree, that's why I've been pushing running backs in the draft for years now, and despite Ajayi I'm still pushing Fournette. Running game makes the game easier for everyone.

NFL became a passing league and since Tannehill has been here we've been burning every possible resource we have to build a good passing game around him. Meanwhile the smart teams were snatching up all the quality defensive players ajd run blockers they could.

And now all of a sudden were like, oh yeah, let's start doing that too. This team is always playing catchup.

This, one thousand times over.

There are wonderful intricacies in football. Schemes, route trees, disguising coverages, and creating mismatches.

But all of that is the TOPPING on a championship sundae.

The basis has been, is, and will be:

1) Run the ball.

2) Play imposing defense and keep your opponent from running the ball

3) Kill the opposing QB.

The Fins have been making it way too hard for way too long.

the only SB I can think of that featured a high flying offense vs a ground and pound physical team that ended w the offensive team winning was the Rams vs Titans. It's the only one I can recall.

Back
Top Bottom