Brothers... it's gonna be tough to make this roster | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brothers... it's gonna be tough to make this roster

It's nice to know that we have talent that others will want. It hasn't always been that way. Want a quick flashback? These were our linebackers in 2016....

KIKO ALONSO .... 6-3/238..OREGON
KOA MISI .... 6-3/256..UTAH
JELANI JENKINS .... 6-0/243..FLORIDA
DONALD BUTLER 6-1/242..WASHINGTON
SPENCER PAYSINGER .... 6-2/250..OREGON
NEVILLE HEWITT .... 6-2/235..MARSHALL
MIKE HULL .... 6-0/237..PENN STATE
ZACH VIGIL .... 6-2/240..UTAH STATE

....and I mean they were our LBs for a WHILE. We couldn't churn the roster for better players for a few years. Most of the stuck for a short time.
I loved Kiko. He was the leader of that Oregon defense that included Dion Jordan. Then he gets drafted by stinking Barfalo and impacts as a rookie. I watched a lot of Zach Vigil in college and really expected him to make it in the NFL.

His blocking is fine, but we don't run many FB lead block power runs.

As a receiver he has shown to be below average, IMO, with a mere 13 receptions last season.

His best play has been in an H-back role, but that is redundant to the TE position.

My biggest issue is as a rushing threat. 10 carries for 17 yards. Defenses aren't dumb. They study tendencies. When he's on the field, he is not much of a threat to end up with the ball in his hands.

How he made the Pro Bowl is a mystery to me.

I should also say I like the guy. His Skillset and impact has been far less than advertised, though.
Ingold had an 81.3 catch percentage. When he was targeted he was very dependable. McDaniel seems to feel there is a spot for a traditional FB on his roster. Ingold is sort of a poor man's Kyle Juszczyk. Remember, in McDaniel's first free agency period of 2022, Ingold was one of the first guys we grabbed.

There is room for both Malik and Tahj. Gonna keep 6 WRs almost for sure. Their presence puts EZ and River on notice. IMO, Berrios is as close to a sure bet to make it as a backup WR can be. At the very least because with him, there is never gonna be a backbreaking muffed punt. Nothing demoralizes a defense more than getting off the field on 3rd down only to have the PR give the ball right back to the other team 40 or so yards down the field. I'd sacrifice potential long punt returns for sure hands and no muffs.
I disagree with nearly everything in that post.

RC had a grand total of 9 receptions last season, was inactive half the time and has been a career bubble player that is nearing 30 years old. EZ had 1 reception, has failed to grasp the offensive scheme/requirements and spent the rest of the season on NFI. Their own performances and situations are what puts them on notice.

M. Washington will get a majority of his snaps out of the slot, where he's a far bigger threat to Berrios' playing time than either EZ or Craycraft. Beyond that, Berrios did a lot of fair catching, and very little field flipping. I think you overstate his importance there, but I agree he is a trustworthy fair catch guy.

Ingold had an 81.3 catch percentage. When he was targeted he was very dependable. McDaniel seems to feel there is a spot for a traditional FB on his roster. Ingold is sort of a poor man's Kyle Juszczyk. Remember, in McDaniel's first free agency period of 2022, Ingold was one of the first guys we grabbed.
Don't care about the catch percentage with such a small sample size.

Don't care that he was an early FA 2 years ago.

I do care if McD can't see that he hasn't been productive and holds on to the guy out of sentiment. He had no prior first hand experience with Ingold like he did with Raheem. For all we know, he has been disappointed same as I have.

Sorry, you haven't made a prima facia case for reserving a roster spot in my opinion.

He's not a dominant blocker, to be kind, and he doesn't have the speed/athleticism to be a threat with the ball.
Look at the fantastic improvement in the Dolphins running game last season. Alec Ingold was a big part of the reason Raheem Mostert broke the Dolphins all time TD season record with 21 TDs. He's a good blocker (maybe not dominant, but still very good).
Ingold has some other strengths, too - he is an excellent team leader. In year 2 in Miami he was appointed a team captain.

The guy who intrigues me is Ryan Hayes. I watched a lot of him in isolation after we drafted him and IMO he has an ideal skill set to play LG in the wide zone. He was projected to be a 3rd-4th rounder before the 2023 draft and fell to the 7th inexplicably—sort of how Malik fell to the 6th this year.
He is #76 and playing LT in this video.

I really liked this kid from the moment Miami drafted him.

Look at the fantastic improvement in the Dolphins running game last season. Alec Ingold was a big part of the reason Raheem Mostert broke the Dolphins all time TD season record with 21 TDs. He's a good blocker (maybe not dominant, but still very good).
Ingold has some other strengths, too - he is an excellent team leader. In year 2 in Miami he was appointed a team captain.
Meh, big part might be a stretch. He only took about 1/3 of the offensive snaps and they certainly were not all on Mostert running plays.

I really liked this kid from the moment Miami drafted him.
He kind of fits my profile of a NFL Guard... he was a Tackle in college.
That said, he's a little lean for typical Guard duties (under 300 lbs, at 6'6"). I think he's a tweener.
He'll have to take SEVERAL steps forward to stick.
I won't say no.

He kind of fits my profile of a NFL Guard... he was a Tackle in college.
That said, he's a little lean for typical Guard duties (under 300 lbs, at 6'6"). I think he's a tweener.
He'll have to take SEVERAL steps forward to stick.
I won't say no.
I think he can play both positions.

This may sound crazy, but hear me out.

Have you considered that your opinions may carry more weight if you weren't always prancing around buck naked during the zoom calls with Grier and Co.?

I would argue his opinions carry more weight when he’s not wearing pants…

Back
Top Bottom