Dolphins Want Bonuses in Tua Deal | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Want Bonuses in Tua Deal

kdog69

Rookie
Reaction score
Smart for Dolphins to try and protect against injuries but i'm sure the Agent is not happy.

Tua Tagovailoa Rumors: Dolphins Expected to Use Bonuses as Protection on New Contract​

ANDREW PETERSMAY 16, 2024

KANSAS CITY, MISSOURI - JANUARY 13: Tua Tagovailoa #1 of the Miami Dolphins looks to pass during the first half against the Kansas City Chiefs in the AFC Wild Card Playoffs at GEHA Field at Arrowhead Stadium on January 13, 2024 in Kansas City, Missouri. (Photo by David Eulitt/Getty Images)

David Eulitt/Getty Images
The Miami Dolphins have yet to sign quarterback Tua Tagovailoa to a long-term deal, but they are reportedly planning to use bonuses to protect themselves in case he has a major injury while under contract.
Per ESPN's Marcel Louis-Jacques, a contract advisor said bonuses that reward Tagovailoa while also protecting the team will be in play for his next deal.
"Signing bonus, base salary, workout bonus, per game roster bonuses--that's something [the Dolphins are] going to want to put in the contract," the contract advisor said. "Per game roster bonus is high because of his health--but the agent side will balk at it."

Tagovailoa played the first full season of his career in 2023, but it's no secret that injuries have been a factor during his four-year career as he missed a combined 14 games throughout his first three seasons in the NFL.
With Tagovailoa's first full season came the best numbers of his career. He had 4,624 passing yards, 29 touchdowns and 14 interceptions in 2023 and led a Miami offense that was among the NFL's most electric.
While Tagovailoa and the Dolphins came up short in the playoffs, losing to the Kansas City Chiefs in the wild-card round, he seems to be capable of leading them on a deep run with the right roster around him. If Miami is willing to commit to the 26-year-old, it could lead to a successful future for the Dolphins.

00:04

02:30
https://bleacherreport.com/videos

Last edited:
Don't see Tua's side agreeing to this.

If Eich let's someone walk past him and Tua gets hurt....

Anyways you can say many things about Grier but overall he does keep contract talks (specifics) quiet.

More speculation from a media type looking to stay relevant this time of year this is.

Actually sounds like my Buddy Ryan (see what I did there?) on here wrote this fluff 😂

Yeahhh no way do I a see his agent agreeing with these type of bonus. But I’m not surprised the team will try very hard to include them in the new contract.

That's why they call it negotiations. The agents job is to get the most for himself (and his client) and the team needs to make a sensible deal that both can live with.

The Dolphins leadership does a pretty good job of keeping things in house so I assume that this is a leak from the agent trying to gain leverage through the media. Personally, I don't care what the contract is as long as it doesn't hamstring the team's salary cap in the future and we can get some playoff wins.

Don't see Tua's side agreeing to this.

If Eich let's someone walk past him and Tua gets hurt....

Anyways you can say many things about Grier but overall he does keep contract talks (specifics) quiet.

More speculation from a media type looking to stay relevant this time of year this is.

Actually sounds like my Buddy Ryan (see what I did there?) on here wrote this fluff 😂
If Eich lets someone walk past him?

The Dolphins might want to include bonus incentives to protect them in case of injuries but I doubt Tua or his agent are going to bite.
In the end, Tua will sign a contract which will pay him over $50 million a year and the Dolphins will just have to assume the same risk every team that has a high priced QB has accepted when they signed their franchise QB’s to huge contracts.

All NFL contracts should be based mainly on performance bonuses.

Im tired of seeing guys get paid and then mailing it in.

I have nothing against a very comfortable base salary to protect players who may get injured, but if you want the big bucks, you need to perform.

I think every team would love too have those kinds of protections in every contract, but there's not much reason for there player to agree to it unless those bonuses are on top of pretty great guaranteed money anyhow.
I think that's the holdup. Very smart of the Dolphins to try this, I guess they are a tad bit nervous as are many of us here. I would think the agents and players association is not in favor of this at all. But, the big but, if Grier pulls this type of groundbreaking QB contract he is one step closer to being quite the GM. I think this will steer some players away if it doesn't become the "norm" with contracts around the league but the fact he is trying to be creative with protections is smart. I don't think it will fly personally but the fact that the Dolphins are even considering some type of incentive deal is promising.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom