Votes: 38 15.6%
  • D

Votes: 9 3.7%
  • F

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • Grier still sucks

Votes: 5 2.1%

• Total voters
Really liked this draft...wish we had gotten an elite talent at guard or tackle but other than that it is definietly an A. We got great value with our late round picks.

I gave it a C. Passing on Quinyon Mitchell was terrible. At least get something from Philadelphia and trade down one spot.

Quinyon Mitchell played at Toledo, and CB is one of the biggest bust positions when you project them into the NFL so it’s not like he’s a slam dunk to succeed. I think he will, but no one is a sure thing.
Disagree, Mitchell has no flaws in his game. He is big and fast, great hips. He is a physical tackler. He can play off, zone, and man. He is just a great player.

Disagree, Mitchell has no flaws in his game. He is big and fast, great hips. He is a physical tackler. He can play off, zone, and man. He is just a great player.
Great. He wouldn’t start in Miami’s lineup either at this point. I think Robinson will have more of an immediate impact on the field this seaseon and fills a looming hole at edge when they move on from Chubb.

IMO a true grade on the quality takes three years, but you can grade on value and having a plan immediately. On those terms I give this draft an A. That's not saying I agreed with every pick, but there was a reasonable and rational argument for every pick. That's something that has generally been the case since Grier got final say in 2019. IMO many of the overly harsh critics seem to base everything on whether or not the team took the one player they would have picked. I see that as close-minded and a recipe for almost always being disappointed.

Chop Robinson wouldn't have been my pick. I wanted Barton there, but there is no doubt that Chop could reasonably be seen as the BPA and he obviously plays a premium position of need. For me the comp is Von Miller. Like Von, I see run stopping/edge setting limitations but also top 5 pass rusher in the league upside.

Patrick Paul again wouldn't have been my pick. I had other Ts rated above him and there were some Gs and WRs I liked there as well. But he clearly plays at a premium position of need and has the athleticism to be a starting LT. Per reports this was Barry's pick. He believes that Paul's issues are easily correctable technique issues. Seeing the improvement from 2022 to 2023 I see that as a reasonable assessment and Barry has earned the benefit of the doubt with how much individual players improved his first year here.

Jaylen Wright I see as an obvious scheme fit. He reminds me of Mostert. And given Mostert's age and injury history I had RB as a position of need. Our offense was at it's best in fast 21 personnel which wasn't possible when Mostert or Achane was injured.

Mohammed Kamara is one of the players I might have taken myself at the same spot. I saw him as a steal where we got him. I had him as a my 6th rated edge rusher. My read on Weaver's D is that he'll need a minimum of 5 and probably 6 Edge rushers.

Malik Washington is the other player I might have taken at the same spot. Phenomenal value. My one concern is that I see him as likely a slot only player and I like having the flexibility to move Hill and Waddle into the slot. But other than that a good WR who may be our third best WR on the team already. I did see having a better 3rd receiving option on the team as major need.

Patrick McMorris I know nothing about beyond some highlights and blurbs posted on this site. I wanted Jaheim Bell or Tyson Gable at this spot, but I did have S on the need list.

Tahj Washington was great value here. Another slot WR that probably upgrades the overall talent of that room.

All of the picks were at need positions and most upgraded the team talent. Not every need was met, but it's unreasonable to expect to fill every need in the draft. And there is clearly a plan for all of these players to potentially make/improve the team.

My disappointment in the draft is that I wanted to upgrade the back-up C position. I saw the injury to Conner Williams as the difference between winning the division and not. I don't want to rely on Eich in that role again. Obviously the off-season is a long way from over so a FA may be added or perhaps Andrew Meyer can upgrade that spot.

This was a good solid draft, could have it been done in another direction in round 1 with Barton? Certainly but considering the critical injuries to our edge rushers last year (only a fool would expect them to return at 100%) I can understand the pick although I wish Chop had more length.

21: Chop Robinson, Edge, Penn State - Freak athlete who is undersized and has short arms, I'll wait to see him on the field before I judge completely. If he is as bendy as Wake and develops a couple of pass rush moves it will a nice add on or more. I like the change up between him and Chubb, Chubb is mostly a power rusher, bring in Chop and its a nice change of pace at a minimum in the rotation. There is also the option of him being a wildcard in a rush package with Chubb/Phillips, figuring out which one is coming vs dropping should cause a few QB's a pause or two.

55: Patrick Paul, T, Houston - This kid has all the tools to be an all-pro ala Richmond Webb. That wingspan is amazing, if we can coach him in hand placement, keeping his butt down and legs moving (lunges too much) this kid could be really special. He is shockingly strong as well, besides the bench press with crazy length arms (makes it so much harder), watch the practices at the senior bowl where he locks up the rusher including a couple where he tosses them to the ground. I like this kid...

120*: Jaylen Wright, RB, Tennessee - Interesting RB, fits the mold and is 210lbs so he isn't light either. He will be a nice add on for the RB by committee. Price was actually a 3rd round pick but that is ok.

158: Mohamed Kamara, Edge, Colorado State - Could be a nice complimentary rusher, he is more of a power rusher at this point from the tape I've been watching but for a 5th round pick its a good pick. He does set a nice edge on run plays.

184: Malik Washington, WR, Virginia - I have no idea why this kid was on the board @184, I'm kind of curious if he becomes a bit a Deebo. He is built like a RB, actually looks like Mark Higgs in body shape. Mixed with the shocking speed we have at receiver he could very interesting. Unless he has a nickel head or something (seriously why was he on the board @ 184??).

198: Patrick McMorris, S, Cal - I don't know enough about this kid yet to have an opinion. I'll need to see him in camp and preseason.

241: Tahj Washington, WR, USC - shrug....this one is I dunno, doesn't impress me but we'll see in camp.

Last edited:
IMO a true grade on the quality takes three years, but you can grade on value and having a plan immediately. On those terms I give this draft an A. That's not saying I agreed with every pick, but there was a reasonable and rational argument for every pick. That's something that has generally been the case since Grier got final say in 2019. IMO many of the overly harsh critics seem to base everything on whether or not the team took the one player they would have picked. I see that as close-minded and a recipe for almost always being disappointed.

Chop Robinson wouldn't have been my pick. I wanted Barton there, but there is no doubt that Chop could reasonably be seen as the BPA and he obviously plays a premium position of need. For me the comp is Von Miller. Like Von, I see run stopping/edge setting limitations but also top 5 pass rusher in the league upside.

Patrick Paul again wouldn't have been my pick. I had other Ts rated above him and there were some Gs and WRs I liked there as well. But he clearly plays at a premium position of need and has the athleticism to be a starting LT. Per reports this was Barry's pick. He believes that Paul's issues are easily correctable technique issues. Seeing the improvement from 2022 to 2023 I see that as a reasonable assessment and Barry has earned the benefit of the doubt with how much individual players improved his first year here.

Jaylen Wright I see as an obvious scheme fit. He reminds me of Mostert. And given Mostert's age and injury history I had RB as a position of need. Our offense was at it's best in fast 21 personnel which wasn't possible when Mostert or Achane was injured.

Mohammed Kamara is one of the players I might have taken myself at the same spot. I saw him as a steal where we got him. I had him as a my 6th rated edge rusher. My read on Weaver's D is that he'll need a minimum of 5 and probably 6 Edge rushers.

Malik Washington is the other player I might have taken at the same spot. Phenomenal value. My one concern is that I see him as likely a slot only player and I like having the flexibility to move Hill and Waddle into the slot. But other than that a good WR who may be our third best WR on the team already. I did see having a better 3rd receiving option on the team as major need.

Patrick McMorris I know nothing about beyond some highlights and blurbs posted on this site. I wanted Jaheim Bell or Tyson Gable at this spot, but I did have S on the need list.

Tahj Washington was great value here. Another slot WR that probably upgrades the overall talent of that room.

All of the picks were at need positions and most upgraded the team talent. Not every need was met, but it's unreasonable to expect to fill every need in the draft. And there is clearly a plan for all of these players to potentially make/improve the team.

My disappointment in the draft is that I wanted to upgrade the back-up C position. I saw the injury to Conner Williams as the difference between winning the division and not. I don't want to rely on Eich in that role again. Obviously the off-season is a long way from over so a FA may be added or perhaps Andrew Meyer can upgrade that spot.

Great post. Agree with every word of your first paragraph

If Paul doesn’t become a starter, then this can’t be an A draft. Blowing a second round pick on a backup tackle is basically unacceptable (see Liam Eichenberg).

Personally, I think Paul will become a good starting left tackle. I hope you’re right about Chop Robinson. I have some doubts. I’m going to be closely watching Mitchell and Brian Thomas Jr., because those are the guys I would have preferred - if we didn’t move up for Fautanu. Knowing Fautanu was close and that the Steelers were 99.9% taking him, I would have considered moving up. It would have changed the rest of our draft, though, from a remaining-asset perspective.

Overall, yesterday seemed to be handled very well. We got guys like Wright, Malik Washington, and Kamara, who I think will contribute in 2024. That would make for a strong Day 3.
Don’t agree. The assumption should be that a player you select at #55 overall will not become a starting left tackle. Fans get inflated senses of the draft which is why every fanbase always thinks their team drafts poorly.

Most draft picks are busts, especially if you are swinging for the fences at the highest value positions. That is the case even in the first round. At the bottom of the second round, your odds of landing a longtime starter at a premium position are very low. Teams don’t pass on someone they think will be a long term starting left tackle 54 times.

“Chalk” for an OT taken at #55 would be backup swing tackle. If he’s a long term starter at RT, he’s a “hit.” If he’s a long term starter at LT, he’s a home run. If he’s an above average starter, he’s a grand slam.

Don’t agree. The assumption should be that a player you select at #55 overall will not become a starting left tackle. Fans get inflated senses of the draft which is why every fanbase always thinks their team drafts poorly.

Most draft picks are busts, especially if you are swinging for the fences at the highest value positions. That is the case even in the first round. At the bottom of the second round, your odds of landing a longtime starter at a premium position are very low. Teams don’t pass on someone they think will be a long term starting left tackle 54 times.

“Chalk” for an OT taken at #55 would be backup swing tackle. If he’s a long term starter at RT, he’s a “hit.” If he’s a long term starter at LT, he’s a home run. If he’s an above average starter, he’s a grand slam.
All good but not all 32 teams needed OTs. Look at the bears..they took a QB instead unless of course your argument is well if Paul was starting calibre they would have taken him instead of Caleb.

Have to disagree here. You’re basically saying you should only expect that a starting LT needs to have a first-round pedigree, and that is just not factual.

I graded it a B. I would have done a few things differently.

At 21 I think the DB Quinyon Mitchell was the BPA and even though DB is not a glaring need, adding him might have given us the best secondary in the NFL pairing him with Ramsey and Fuller in the slot where he is best suited. I feel like he is a more sure thing than Chop Robinson.

At 55 I would have addressed the edge with Marshawn Kneeland. I fear Paul has bust potential and he probably wont help us at all in 2024.

At 198 I would have addressed the OL with Beaux Limmer. I know Mahogany went a few picks higher but I think he sustained a major injury in college. Limmer can play both C and OG. Louis Riddick said he wouldn't be surprised if he ends up starting immediately. I have worries about Brewer.

I really like the RB Wright, he should be our long term starter and gives us immediate depth.

Kamara could be a steal and it makes sense doubling up at that position.

I like both Washington slot WR's a lot. Thats a position that needed to be upgraded.
I think we will use Wright's ability as a receiver out of the backfield. He could be almost impossible to cover underneath while Hill and Waddle are runing deeper routes. I thought we were pretty set at RB, we have Achane coming back with what looks like 10 pounds of additional muscle but this guy is too good to pass up. he'll help us on Special Teams probably. Wright had to be the top guy on our board at that moment so we pulled the trigger. He has some great tape.

I liked our draft so I give it a solid B. I think anytime you come out of a draft with 5 potential starters/contributors you had a good one. Maybe a few years down the road this draft becomes an A, but that depends on if Paul and Chop pan out.

Have to disagree here. You’re basically saying you should only expect that a starting LT needs to have a first-round pedigree, and that is just not factual.
This is true on the surface if only everyone is lining up to take one..

"Teams don’t pass on someone they think will be a long term starting left tackle 54 times"

The factual thing is 32 teams weren't.

Back
Top Bottom