How can we improve MM for next year ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichmondWeb

Humble FinHeaven Member
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
So, I have an idea. Is it possible that in the final, if both teams agree, and it is feasible, and it's OK with the FH Site, that each team has their own thread? I don't know what the scores are now, but if I make it to the final I would much prefer to have my own thread to decorate as I please without being interrupted or snowed under by my opponent. It would be better for the flow of each teams' presentation and it could increase outside participation. It might limit back-and-forth jousting between the teams, but we can always keep an eye on the other team's thread and jump in over there. I do have a disability which compromises my ability to click and type; also, I have an unusual amount of work shifts this week. In fact I will be unavailable after 5am PST (8 am EST) on Thursday when the round closes. But I am not trying to make excuses; I will do my best and trust the voters to pick the best effort, but I think all of 4 of us would benefit from having our own thread in the finals. I also think it would make it more exciting for the audience; it would give them more threads to watch and visit. Separate threads would eliminate work schedule and other life activity conflicts too, so we don't have to make arrangements with our opponents who may want to help, or may want to use our information to their advantage.

Like I said, I don't know if it is feasible from the tech side (i.e. polls) or if any of the other 3 teams would prefer it, but if it is possible and agreed upon, I think it's the way to go. Also, it could be tested this season as a possible upgrade for the future. Maybe it would work better in the final 4 too... I saw that @BC Phins4Life and @TheMageGandalf had some airtime issues yesterday. @Fred Bear and I have shared our thread very well this year but In future MM's, there could be more conflicts and Bogarting which for me detracts from the quality of the show and therefore hurts the Game and the Site.

What do you all think?

RW

Last edited:
So, I have an idea. Is it possible that in the final, if both teams agree, and it is feasible, and it's OK with the FH Site, that each team has their own thread? I don't know what the scores are now, but if I make it to the final I would much prefer to have my own thread to decorate as I please without being interrupted or snowed under by my opponent. It would be better for the flow of each teams' presentation and it could increase outside participation. It might limit back-and-forth jousting between the teams, but we can always keep an eye on the other team's thread and jump in over there. I do have a disability which compromises my ability to click and type; also, I have an unusual amount of work shifts this week. In fact I will be unavailable after 5am PST (8 am EST) on Thursday when the round closes. But I am not trying to make excuses; I will do my best and trust the voters to pick the best effort, but I think all of 4 of us would benefit from having our own thread in the finals. I also think it would make it more exciting fot the audience. It would also give them more threads to watch and visit. Separate threads would eliminate work schedule and other life activity conflicts too, so we don't have to make arrangements with our opponents who may want to help, or may want to use our information to their advantage.

Like I said, I don't know if it is feasible from the tech side (i.e. polls) or if any of the other 3 teams would prefer it, but if it is possible and agreed upon, I think it's the way to go. Also, it could be tested this season as a possible upgrade for the future. Maybe it would work better in the final 4 too... I saw that @BC Phins4Life and @TheMageGandalf had some airtime issues yesterday. @Fred Bear and I have shared our thread very well this year but In future MM's, there could be more conflicts and Bogarting which for me detracts from the quality of the show and therefore hurts the Game and the Site.

What do you all think?

RW
I'll talk to the guys about it.....the hard part about it would be the voting among other things but I'll talk to fish and see what he thinks.

N
So, I have an idea. Is it possible that in the final, if both teams agree, and it is feasible, and it's OK with the FH Site, that each team has their own thread? I don't know what the scores are now, but if I make it to the final I would much prefer to have my own thread to decorate as I please without being interrupted or snowed under by my opponent. It would be better for the flow of each teams' presentation and it could increase outside participation. It might limit back-and-forth jousting between the teams, but we can always keep an eye on the other team's thread and jump in over there. I do have a disability which compromises my ability to click and type; also, I have an unusual amount of work shifts this week. In fact I will be unavailable after 5am PST (8 am EST) on Thursday when the round closes. But I am not trying to make excuses; I will do my best and trust the voters to pick the best effort, but I think all of 4 of us would benefit from having our own thread in the finals. I also think it would make it more exciting for the audience; it would give them more threads to watch and visit. Separate threads would eliminate work schedule and other life activity conflicts too, so we don't have to make arrangements with our opponents who may want to help, or may want to use our information to their advantage.

What do you all think?

RW

No

While I appreciate you have some limitations, seperate threads don't interest me.
The best battles over the years are when both go light heartedly at each other bouncing replies, sledges using the others posts against them, or trying to outdo each other either in girls, jokes, music. The to and throwing is fun to observe and normally easy to follow without having to bounce constantly between both threads.

Your following sentence ruins much of your argument
It might limit back-and-forth jousting between the teams, but we can always keep an eye on the other team's thread and jump in over there.

So what is the point of seperate threads if posters are going to post in both threads anyway?

One of the reasons I retired from competing was the 14.5 hours difference in time zones, often found my self basically posting to myself as their was no reply, seperate threads to me achieves the same. The only time it was major fun was about the first 3/4 hours of a battle I had with @13marino13 where we both were logged on at the same time and had fun [and still do to this day] taking potshots at each other. Late Fri for him early Sat for me.

Looking at a very recent battle for example @BC Phins4Life v @Jamesw was very entertaining as both seemed to enjoy taking the mickey out of each other in a respectful way while including other jokes, music throughout the battle. If they had done it in seperate threads it wouldn't of been 1/10th as much enjoyment and so much harder to follow.

If posters are worried about their material getting snowed under which I can understand then organisers could limit the number of posts a competitor may make per day so in fact perhaps improving the standards as they would have to use their best material. Alas it might also limit the banter if both are on a roll. Perhaps some agreement between competitors could be made on the number prior to the battle.

I know this is only my second March Madness and my experience is limited compared to others. I will say I have the most fun doing this when there is constant interaction between players. Yes @Jamesw was great to battle as I was always waiting to see what he would do next to counter what I had done. I couldn't even use my wife angles as he was winning that method in every way. Another great example was Rev last year who took as many shots my way as posting interesting things about his life that had little to do or nothing at all with me.

I really do like the idea of a daily post limit or even hourly LOL. I feel this will be better for people who come to view. Not many people have the time for quantity but many will appreciate a quick laugh or connection.

N

No

While I appreciate you have some limitations, seperate threads don't interest me.
The best battles over the years are when both go light heartedly at each other bouncing replies, sledges using the others posts against them, or trying to outdo each other either in girls, jokes, music. The to and throwing is fun to observe and normally easy to follow without having to bounce constantly between both threads.

Your following sentence ruins much of your argument
It might limit back-and-forth jousting between the teams, but we can always keep an eye on the other team's thread and jump in over there.

So what is the point of seperate threads if posters are going to post in both threads anyway?

One of the reasons I retired from competing was the 14.5 hours difference in time zones, often found my self basically posting to myself as their was no reply, seperate threads to me achieves the same. The only time it was major fun was about the first 3/4 hours of a battle I had with @13marino13 where we both were logged on at the same time and had fun [and still do to this day] taking potshots at each other. Late Fri for him early Sat for me.

Looking at a very recent battle for example @BC Phins4Life v @Jamesw was very entertaining as both seemed to enjoy taking the mickey out of each other in a respectful way while including other jokes, music throughout the battle. If they had done it in seperate threads it wouldn't of been 1/10th as much enjoyment and so much harder to follow.

If posters are worried about their material getting snowed under which I can understand then organisers could limit the number of posts a competitor may make per day so in fact perhaps improving the standards as they would have to use their best material. Alas it might also limit the banter if both are on a roll. Perhaps some agreement between competitors could be made on the number prior to the battle.
Good points of discussion. Your "major fun" is "taking potshots" and that's understandable... because you are an a**hole!... JK, but is that funny or insulting coming from me? Not everyone would think that was funny. When @BC Phins4Life was throwing around those "tranny boy" comments and implied that @Jamesw was a pimp, not everyone was laughing. There were more insults and hurt feelings today. The world is changing; humor is changing, unfortunate for some but overdue for others. Are tranny boys welcome to join Finheaven? Our younger members don't necessarily understand the humor in these comments and we can't afford to lose any of them. I grew up telling Polack Jokes but they are not told anymore. Ritchie Incognito thought is was funny to harass Jonathon Martin using the "N" word, then there's Jon Gruden... Everyone has their own taste in humor. I love your sense of humor and the banter between you and @Vaark, @fishfanmiami, @13marino13, @Crump ...etc, in the lounge threads; but you guys know each other. This game pairs new players with people they don't necessarily know at all.

Is this game a show or a battle? Are we players on the same team working together to entertain the masses? Or is this a battle to the death between enemies and only the winner survives? Given that Football is a team sport and we all worship the same team, the Miami Dolphins, it's probably more appropriate to take the "Mad" out of March Madness and make it about the content. It's just something for you guys to think about.

I don't know if 2 threads would work either because as you say there could be less interaction and maybe the audience wouldn't enjoy it as much. Maybe it would work great, with each poster arranging their posts strategically, uninterrupted by the opposition and free from getting smothered? Don't you think it all depends on who makes it to the finals? I think the two finalists should decide how they want their match played, with 2 threads available as an option.

BTW If I don't make the final this year I would be glad to play a "consolation match" with the other runner-up to try a 2 thread match just to see if it works. Then we would know more for next season.

Also, I was thinking about a new approach to the tournament. We could start with an all-rookie wild card round where rookies play against each other and vets could jump in and coach them. The veterans and/or top finishers from last year would have a Bye. Then the Rookies who won (or who want another shot) would be bracketed into round 2 against the Vets. The last couple years we have had too many no shows and too many overwhelmed rookies. It might work out better If we scrap the NCAA 32 Tournament and refashion the the tourney more like the NFL Playoffs.

What do you think?

RW

Last edited:
Some good ideas but halfway through the final 4 battle is not the time to change things up

Everyone got here playing by the same rules so we should finish that way

After this year has been decided we can all have this discussion for changes next year

Part of the challenge is everyone has their life to live with different work schedules and even many different time zones

Imaging having to battle living in Australia or Thailand ?

One idea I had was to limit the amount you can post until your opponent replies

You post 10 posts or one page full and then stop and wait for a reply before you can continue posting

Some good ideas but halfway through the final 4 battle is not the time to change things

After this year has been decided we can all have this discussion for changes next year

Part of the challenge is everyone has their life to live with different work schedules and even many different time zones

Imaging having to battle living in Australia or Thailand ?

One idea I had was to limit the amount you can post until your opponent replies

You post 10 posts or one page full and then stop and wait for a reply before you can continue posting
not a bad idea to limit how many posts in a row before the other poster gets to post something. Like I said before, I think loco and I would talk to each other and agree to not post for say an hour cause we were both posting so much......but that was just something we did out of respect, neither one wanted to take advantage of the other one not being there.

Two separate threads, the hardest thing would be the voting.......like where to people go vote?

not a bad idea to limit how many posts in a row before the other poster gets to post something. Like I said before, I think loco and I would talk to each other and agree to not post for say an hour cause we were both posting so much......but that was just something we did out of respect, neither one wanted to take advantage of the other one not being there.

Two separate threads, the hardest thing would be the voting.......like where to people go vote?

That is actually how I always did it. Bumpus and me always reviewed our schedule and when was the best time to post

I remember one year he had 4 wisdom teeth pulled in surgery and we took a day off for him to recover and the meds to wear off :)

The rookie play to get in is a solid idea but if you look back many of the rookies did great however some vets like crump and NBP who got high seeds for past performances got tied up visiting their dad or with work and could not give it their all in the battle

What happens is we start well ahead of time in order to get enough people in but things can change just before the actual battle and they can't give it their all

BTW If I don't make the final this year I would be glad to play a "consolation match" with the other runner-up to try a 2 thread match just to see if it works. Then we would know more for next season.

This we can do if you guys want to. It might take a little from the main battle but we will know who finished in 3rd place

First year observer feedback:
  • Quality over quantity; feels spammy
  • Pick fresh themes in advance to avoid fatigue of same music videos, T&A, comic strips, etc
  • When contestants personalize the material it makes it more enjoyable and interesting, IMO. Is there a way to award this style? Otherwise, itā€™s middle-aged guys (like me!) pretending their iMgur.

First year observer feedback:
  • Quality over quantity; feels spammy
  • Pick fresh themes in advance to avoid fatigue of same music videos, T&A, comic strips, etc
  • When contestants personalize the material it makes it more enjoyable and interesting, IMO. Is there a way to award this style? Otherwise, itā€™s middle-aged guys (like me!) pretending their iMgur.

Back in the old days these battles never lasted more than 10 pages

Instead of posting 10 times to get one vote very creative posters could get many votes from just one post

The thing about pick fresh themes is harder and harder as you move on . After four or five battles it's hard to be original and you have used up all your great themes just to win battles along the way

If the battle is close and time is running out you can not save a good idea for the next round . If you don't use it there might not be a next round

BTW @RichmondWeb , James and I discussed in the beginning that we were both okay with what the other wanted to do. This was discussed and with this great communication I think we both agree it was a lot of fun.

New guys won't get old school humour? I have a 21 and 20 year old sons and their friends visit a lot. You may be surprised about their humour!

You have some good thoughts for sure and thank you for bringing up the discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom