How can we improve MM for next year ? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How can we improve MM for next year ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Random thoughts

* somehow entice some of the vets to participate in a mini FHMM. Impression is they drop out because of the grind. Many of the newer guys would like to see the vets go head to head or like me would like to go against a former champ.

* Could also make it a doubles tournament so the weight doesn’t fall on one poster

* more encouragement from organizers to voters to chose based on merit. It’s frustrating to open a battle and see someone posting their heart out but losing by six even though opponent hasn’t shown up yet.

* condition of participation should be to vote in every battle. It doesn’t always take reading every page of a battle to know where your vote should go

* no ideas how yet but more outside interest is needed to one blow the roof off FHMM. It’s not a stretch that FHMM participants would try even harder if their work had more eyes on it.

* More FHMM medals might help generate interest. Example ROY FHMM 2023 or FHMM MT 2023 (given annually to posters who can’t seem to get out of Sweet 16)

* Not a fan of the separate battle threads. Some good points for it, but I need the interaction to get ideas flowing.

* I’ll end with how well FHMM builds up bromances (online friendships if you are a homophobe and can’t admit Brad Pitt is incredibly good looking)

Last edited:
Good points of discussion. Your "major fun" is "taking potshots" and that's understandable... because you are an a**hole!... JK, but is that funny or insulting coming from me? Not everyone would think that was funny. When @BC Phins4Life was throwing around those "tranny boy" comments and implied that @Jamesw was a pimp, not everyone was laughing. There were more insults and hurt feelings today. The world is changing; humor is changing, unfortunate for some but overdue for others. Are tranny boys welcome to join Finheaven? Our younger members don't necessarily understand the humor in these comments and we can't afford to lose any of them. I grew up telling Polack Jokes but they are not told anymore. Ritchie Incognito thought is was funny to harass Jonathon Martin using the "N" word, then there's Jon Gruden... Everyone has their own taste in humor. I love your sense of humor and the banter between you and @Vaark, @fishfanmiami, @13marino13, @Crump ...etc, in the lounge threads; but you guys know each other. This game pairs new players with people they don't necessarily know at all.

Is this game a show or a battle? Are we players on the same team working together to entertain the masses? Or is this a battle to the death between enemies and only the winner survives? Given that Football is a team sport and we all worship the same team, the Miami Dolphins, it's probably more appropriate to take the "Mad" out of March Madness and make it about the content. It's just something for you guys to think about.

I don't know if 2 threads would work either because as you say there could be less interaction and maybe the audience wouldn't enjoy it as much. Maybe it would work great, with each poster arranging their posts strategically, uninterrupted by the opposition and free from getting smothered? Don't you think it all depends on who makes it to the finals? I think the two finalists should decide how they want their match played, with 2 threads available as an option.

BTW If I don't make the final this year I would be glad to play a "consolation match" with the other runner-up to try a 2 thread match just to see if it works. Then we would know more for next season.

Also, I was thinking about a new approach to the tournament. We could start with an all-rookie wild card round where rookies play against each other and vets could jump in and coach them. The veterans and/or top finishers from last year would have a Bye. Then the Rookies who won (or who want another shot) would be bracketed into round 2 against the Vets. The last couple years we have had too many no shows and too many overwhelmed rookies. It might work out better If we scrap the NCAA 32 Tournament and refashion the the tourney more like the NFL Playoffs.

What do you think?

RW

Keeping things in context
Yes the "older" posters do know each other better and are more aware of how far to push the button so to speak.
Like in life having a crack at someone you really don't know, you have to be VERY careful.
Yes the world has changed some for the better some for the worse but I leave there as it becomes a political discussion that's not allowed here any more.
The humour in this contest does enter the grey area of today's PC sometimes - perhaps a general warning could be given ie NSFW.
Yes I have brought up some extremes with mods before and will continue to do so.

Is this game a show or a battle?
both it is a battle to better your opponent but done with some respect [like BC and Fish mentioned] what subjects may cross the line discuss with who you are up against. All at the same time providing some entertainment along the way.

The consolation match yes give it a go if you like at least a example is out there for people to review.

I have previously suggested, like the NBA a lead in contest to the tournament but I know lack of numbers made this impossible this year.
Yes it is a challenge going up against a higher seed but on a personall note I took it up losing to the winner the first year but learn't and won it the next year.
As a "vet" yes I have made suggestions or given ideas to newcomers as I know others have done the same thing.

FHMM MT 2023 (given annually to posters who can’t seem to get out of Sweet 16)

Show Drama GIF by OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network

That would be my next goal, to win the FHMM MT AWARD!!!!!!

Thank you so much Everyone... Great discussion!

I too have had pre-game discussions and they have worked well thus far, and I love the page limiting idea.

We could have an OTA period before the tournament where we gather recruits and teach them the basics how to find material and post it. We could have more advanced classes as well.

Really like the "doubles" or teams idea.

Thanks for making this a discussion thread....

RW

As strictly a spectator and one that has voted actively I do not want separate threads for battles. I do however fully endorse limiting the amount of posts in some way as IMO quality is much better than quantity. Some of the threads I have ventured into even has the same person posting the same thing more than once.

Scrolling through multiple pages of posts by the same person with little new humour or perspective feels something like this.

1679495638395.png

Just my 2 cents.

The doubles would be awesome👌 great 💡 idea 🐻

We can maybe do something in the slow summer that would be fun

Tag team June madness or something like that

With 5 or 6 teams of two going at it. Only MM veterans allowed

If there is enough interest we could do it

It would be a good way to experiment with limiting posts and see how that works out

That is actually how I always did it. Bumpus and me always reviewed our schedule and when was the best time to post

I remember one year he had 4 wisdom teeth pulled in surgery and we took a day off for him to recover and the meds to wear off :)

Is that the year you "won"? :poke:

So I kept an eye on all the battles since I was a first timer, and wasn’t sure about how things worked.
Personally, I think the voting process is pretty bad to beyond horrible!
Contestants had votes for them and hadn’t even posted any material yet?? WTF!
Where’s the fairness in this?
Contestants put a lot of time into this searching for material, and some were basically defeated from the get go, as it felt more like a popularity contest than a post battle.
It’s the equivalent to Dolphins Playing the Bills and their down 14 to 0 without touching the ball.

I would suggest count the likes/loves/laughs/wow emojis of the posts at the end.
Sure, that would take some time to go through, but I think that would be a better process or create a panel of judges to vote.
(Idk, just throwing my worthless 2 cents in)
Anyways, I had fun posting and interacting with other members and would do it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom