OBJ At Peace as #3 WR | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

OBJ At Peace as #3 WR

If Odell gets to 500 yards it would be amazing. I hope he does, but we drafted a dude, who, out of the box is better than Odell is right now.

Agree in part. He has lost a step so not a "run by ppl" deep threat he once was. That's fine, though. He doesn't need to be to be productive in this situation.

I do take a bit of an issue with the part I quoted.

Are you trying to say he "out of the box" is a better route runner? Better at reading defenses/leverages, setting them up and exploiting them? Better with hand technique against NFL quality, experienced DBs?

I think you are expecting a lot out of a day three pick, TBH.

Awhile back, I did a deep dive on the typical yardage that an NFL WR3 tends to accumulate.

Most of them came in at about 500 yards or so. Less, if their team had a good TE or a RB who drew lots of targets.

So, I would wager that Odell's over/under target is probably about 550 yards this year... barring injury to Hill or Waddle.

For 3-5 million... he's a decent investment, but he won't go nuts with yardage if the team remains healthy... I do think that his TD numbers might be better than a typical WR3 though. Waddle and Hill both excell when the field is wide and deep, they are less dangerous in the red zone.

You guys really think a 32 yr old wr, who multiple GMs around the league said, has lost a step, is gonna come in here and put up 1,000 yards or something.

It's hilarious to me, but I hope you guys are right. Maybe we do live in a game of Madden, where we can just go into edit mode and change his speed, acceleration and release stats.

Forget the fact that in 2022 Waddle had more yards than Odells had in four years. Or the fact that in 2023 Tyreek had almost 500 more yards in one season, than Odells had in four years & more touchdowns.

If Odell gets to 500 yards it would be amazing. I hope he does, but we drafted a dude, who, out of the box is better than Odell is right now.
Im not concerned about yards.

Im concerned about getting First downs and Touchdowns. I think OBJ can do that for us.

Last edited:
Im

Im concerned about getting First downs and Touchdowns. I think OBJ can do that for us.
A couple extra key first downs and a couple extra redzone TD's last year and this team has at least one home playoff game. OBJ does that in his sleep.....at $3m????? C'mon man, anybody who doesn't think that is a K-mart Blue Light Special is just delusional, amiright @Avigatorx ?

Last edited:
You guys really think a 32 yr old wr, who multiple GMs around the league said, has lost a step, is gonna come in here and put up 1,000 yards or something.

It's hilarious to me, but I hope you guys are right. Maybe we do live in a game of Madden, where we can just go into edit mode and change his speed, acceleration and release stats.

Forget the fact that in 2022 Waddle had more yards than Odells had in four years. Or the fact that in 2023 Tyreek had almost 500 more yards in one season, than Odells had in four years & more touchdowns.

just fyi, he's 31, wont be 32 til late in the year..

Agree in part. He has lost a step so not a "run by ppl" deep threat he once was. That's fine, though. He doesn't need to be to be productive in this situation.

Are you trying to say he "out of the box" is a better route runner? Better at reading defenses/leverages, setting them up and exploiting them? Better with hand technique against NFL quality, experienced DBs?

I very well might be, but I think most ppl are a bit high on what they expect from Odell as well.

OBJ could very well have a role similar to what Ricky Williams brought to the table when he returned in 2008...

Im

Plus he’s insurance in case Hill or Waddle miss time because he is one of the only WRs on their roster that can lineup outside.

Can you please show me all of the people who are suggesting he’ll put up 1,000 yards?

You’re trying to dispel a narrative that doesn’t exist.

I like Malik Washington.

To suggest that he’s better right now than OBJ is bat**** crazy.

Awhile back, I did a deep dive on the typical yardage that an NFL WR3 tends to accumulate.

Most of them came in at about 500 yards or so. Less, if their team had a good TE or a RB who drew lots of targets.

So, I would wager that Odell's over/under target is probably about 550 yards this year... barring injury to Hill or Waddle.

For 3-5 million... he's a decent investment, but he won't go nuts with yardage if the team remains healthy... I do think that his TD numbers might be better than a typical WR3 though. Waddle and Hill both excell when the field is wide and deep, they are less dangerous in the red zone.
This is a good post and definitely agree about his TD total.

I think he may get the over on yardage as McDaniel will be more cautious with injuries with the level of depth at the position.

I think most ppl are a bit high on what they expect from Odell as well.

Totally disagree. I think there are a few people who I consider generally thoughtful posters in this thread alone (like you) shitting on the player and the pick up and making comments like this. I think a solid 50+% of this board goes hur hurr diva expensive diva hur hurr and there is a few thoughtful posters who call it “a smart pick up and probably a great value for the money.” He is easily one of the better #3 WR in the NFL. If anyone is going to tell me he is not in the top 5 of #3 WR or that his salary relatively speaking is too high I would call said poster high themselves.

I like Malik Washington.

To suggest that he’s better right now than OBJ is bat**** crazy.
It’s weird, there is an overcompensation going on. Maybe the OBJ haters are trying to change the narrative.

I think he’s going to be efficient in the reps he does get and I see him quickly becoming a favorite as a role player.

This is a good post and definitely agree about his TD total.

I think he may get the over on yardage as McDaniel will be more cautious with injuries with the level of depth at the position.

Totally disagree. I think there are a few people who I consider generally thoughtful posters in this thread alone (like you) shitting on the player and the pick up and making comments like this. I think a solid 50+% of this board goes hur hurr diva expensive diva hur hurr and there is a few thoughtful posters who call it “a smart pick up and probably a great value for the money.” He is easily one of the better #3 WR in the NFL. If anyone is going to tell me he is not in the top 5 of #3 WR or that his salary relatively speaking is too high I would call said poster high themselves.

It’s weird, there is an overcompensation going on. Maybe the OBJ haters are trying to change the narrative.

I think he’s going to be efficient in the reps he does get and I see him quickly becoming a favorite as a role player.
The thing that COULD work against OBJ getting a lot of work when our top two are off the field may just be 'garbage time'.
With at least 2, and maybe 3 young WRs on the roster, I'm thinking that McD may have learned his lesson allowing Fangio to keep vet players in settled games.

I'm hoping that we see a large dose of those young WRs in games where we are up late. Hell... if we're up 17 late in the 3rd, let's see what Washington, Washington, and EZ E can do.

They need snaps... just like Cam Smith needed last year... and didn't get. McD is smart; let's see if he's learned something.

The thing that COULD work against OBJ getting a lot of work when our top two are off the field may just be 'garbage time'.
With at least 2, and maybe 3 young WRs on the roster, I'm thinking that McD may have learned his lesson allowing Fangio to keep vet players in settled games.

I'm hoping that we see a large dose of those young WRs in games where we are up late. Hell... if we're up 17 late in the 3rd, let's see what Washington, Washington, and EZ E can do.

They need snaps... just like Cam Smith needed last year... and didn't get. McD is smart; let's see if he's learned something.
Not a bad take. But I can’t see them rolling out WR# 4, 5, 6 only unless it’s all back ups in a blow out. Sitting waddle and hill late in the game? For sure, but they’ll want to keep the drives alive too, OBJ will get his reps I think.

Back
Top Bottom