Post Draft Free Agent Signings | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Post Draft Free Agent Signings

It was pure bad luck. It started in training camp when Ramsey tore cartilage in his knee. Then, Miami lost four offensive linemen all because they got rolled up on from behind. Chubb and Philips tore ligaments without making contact, Hill gets horse collared and twists an ankle, Howard lands awkward and injures his foot, and Holland finds himself in an awkward position trying to make a tackle and sprains booth knees. Baker gets hit by his own man and sprains his knee and in his first game back he breaks his hand. How are any of these injuries other than just plain bad luck?
Look I’m not saying bad luck isn’t involved but do you care to explain what happened in 2022? Bc it was d@mn near the same thing.

Also with that many injuries you can’t just chalk it up to bad luck regardless of how it happened. Bane just posted that he’s actually done some research and we didn’t have near the injuries under Flores that we have under Mike.

Now I’m not saying that’s Mikes fault but obviously something is not working. If it were just a few of what you posted I may buy the pure bad luck. But regardless of circumstance all those guys you listed weren’t just bad luck.

It’s really not worth even debating over bc we’ll never know for sure either way.

i think for better or for worse, grier does not believe in the notion of "injury prone" and drafts and signs a lot of players that are in fact, injury prone. tyreek hill, takes a beating, rarely hurt. armstead gets hurt taking a shower. we have a fair bit of armsteads. not sure if they really dont believe in the notion of injury prone, or they think they get value because they are able to sign players that other teams pass on due to injury risk. chubb was interesting, we still paid thru the nose for him (draft capital and salary) knowing his injury history, so maybe they really do believe it is all random. i disagree. i think there is a big genetic component to it. isiah wynn another great example of injury prone. has been his whole career, other teams wouldnt touch him, we did, twice now.
I think you make some excellent points here and it’s more than fair.

I think you hit the nail on the head that other teams just aren’t willing to touch certain guys but we are simply bc of the talent.

But the best ability is availability. Your talent doesn’t matter at all if you can’t stay on the field. I believe you’re absolutely correct that we take chances on guys bc of their talent and more often than not it’s come back to bite us at the worst possible time which is right near the end of the season into the start of the playoffs.

I think you make some excellent points here and it’s more than fair.

I think you hit the nail on the head that other teams just aren’t willing to touch certain guys but we are simply bc of the talent.

But the best ability is availability. Your talent doesn’t matter at all if you can’t stay on the field. I believe you’re absolutely correct that we take chances on guys bc of their talent and more often than not it’s come back to bite us at the worst possible time which is right near the end of the season into the start of the playoffs.
yes. great bill parcells quote. the best ability is availability! parcells would not have touched a bunch of guys on our roster. yes he wasn't perfect, before someone brings up chad henne and jake long over matt ryan. but parcells was legendary, both his coaching and gm skills. on balance he was very very good.

It was pure bad luck. It started in training camp when Ramsey tore cartilage in his knee. Then, Miami lost four offensive linemen all because they got rolled up on from behind. Chubb and Philips tore ligaments without making contact, Hill gets horse collared and twists an ankle, Howard lands awkward and injures his foot, and Holland finds himself in an awkward position trying to make a tackle and sprains booth knees. Baker gets hit by his own man and sprains his knee and in his first game back he breaks his hand. How are any of these injuries other than just plain bad luck?
Yes, exactly. Rather than make a blanket statement that injuries have something to do with coaching or that "we're the Miami Dolphins" you correctly point out what happened with the players who got hurt.

Certain coaching staffs seem to endure more injuries???
Now I've heard it all. This is beyond negative, it just makes no sense.

What are these coaches doing, exactly, to endure more injuries???
We have signed some injury prone players and have had vets like X struggle to stay healthy but injuries are largely the product of bad luck and predicting we're going to have a lot more in 2024 is kinda ridiculous and counter productive.

There's a lot more to injuries than bad luck. While luck represents a good portion of it, depth and being smart with your players are probably bigger factors. Depth allows you to win games while until the starters heal. Playing smart is not keeping your #1's in when the game is out of hand either way winning or losing bad in the 4th. McD learning too slowly has had a bigger influence on injuries than luck.

OK, so we have more soft tissue injuries because of the coaching staff? Where is the proof of that? You have a theory without any evidence right now.
DeVante Parker was/is a guy who always seemed to be nursing some sort of leg injury. Xavien Howard in his latter years in Miami seemed to be the same way. Mostert is often banged up, nothing new for him or for many running backs who take shots to their legs on nearly every tackle they absorb. Armstead usually makes the injury report with leg, hip, or knee issues. He was often injured in NO and that's one of the reasons the Saints didn't re-sign him but the most serious injuries we suffered last year were knee and Achilles injuries and no coach or training staff can prevent them, as stated they are a product of bad luck.

I can't honestly think of one thing that Brian Flores did better than the current coaching staff so to credit Flores with keeping his players healthier than the current regime is wishful thinking. Maybe Flores reported fewer injuries or demanded that his players play through injuries more than McD does. Maybe bringing in older vets to play OL or DB skews the injury stats, I don't know.
I am not giving Flores credit for that. Trust me I think Flores set this franchise back by a lot.

I remember Bill Parcells held a meeting with the team in 2008 after the 1 win season the year before. He brought a stack full of papers that were all about injuries. He told the team we can not win with these many injuries. He quickly made changes including moving all the machines for weight lifting and the team only used free weights. So I believe coaching staffs and regimes have a big influence on injuries. I mean Parcells said so himself so I have to believe that.

Now I don't know what the answer is but I do know that the Eagles struggled with injuries for a few years and they revamped their strength and conditioning program. They have less injuries since then. Steelers have revamped theirs as well.

You are correct though I have a theory that I can not prove. I feel like coaches who focus on the offense side of the ball have teams that occur more injuries. But I only have evidence with the Dolphins. Flores was defensive coach and he harped conditioning. We stayed healthy. Cam Cameron's camp was called club med by some players and they were hurt the entire year.
Gase was only intererested in his offense and the team was always hurt.
Mcdaniels is involved with everything and I love him as a coach. But he has fielded a team that has been injuried a lot. What is the reason ? I don't know.

My big concern is that we are not addressing it. At the end of the year press conference in 2022 Chris Grier said that the 2022 team had the most injuries he remembered since 2017. This year at the end of the year press conference he said they would make no changes with strength and conditioning and he said it was just our year to have injuries. Does he not remember what he said the year before? This is concerning.

Trust me I am positive about this team. I write articles about them for the listpodcast. But I can't say that everything is rainbows and sunshine. I have concerns. Injuries are one of my biggest concerns.

My suggestion would be to change the strength and conditioning. I also would have less 11-11 in practice. I think this wears the team out and players like ramsey and hill going at it so hard leads to injuries. I would do more drills in practice as well. But that is because I think we lack fundamentals not because of injuries.

Anyways good discussion and I enjoy hearing your feedback. You have some valid points .

Someone else asked which player had soft tissue injuries least year. I can't remember all of them But I remember week two Phillips missed a game with soft tissue injury against pats. Willliams our center missed 3 or 4 games after he got hurt in the denver game. Our safety missed a few games with soft tissue injuries. Not holland. The other guy but his name escapes me. Robert hunt missed a ton of time at the end of the year with soft tissue injuries. Armstead had a zillion injuries but several were soft tissue. Those were only a few. There were more but I don't have them all.

I will say some were just bad luck Phillips injury. Holland spraining two mcl . I never heard of that. Some were because we were not phyicals. Twice we lost guys because our lineman like enichberg got pushed into someone else and took him out. The chubb injury I blame on Mcdaniel. He should have been out of the game.

so much for my optimism that drafting the two WRs would cause them to focus their limited remaining resources on the interior OL first....wishful thinking i guess.

so much for my optimism that drafting the two WRs would cause them to focus their limited remaining resources on the interior OL first....wishful thinking i guess.
I think it's asking too much to expect a 6th and 7th round draft pick to come in and address the #3 wr role. Malik Washington could be a good fit, but I wouldn't expect him to come out the gate being better than OBJ. Plus, Malik is more of a slot wr in year one, where OBJ can be used in multple ways.

Bc he’s been in Cleveland and Baltimore. The LA thing was good from him but he didn’t spend much time there.

Also he did absolutely zilch for Baltimore. Waste of cap space if you ask me. I also didn’t necessarily mean he’d be a problem off the field even though I have my concerns that he will. He’s the kind of guy that has issues when he doesn’t get the football even if it’s not publicly said.

I just think he brings nothing to the table that we don’t already have.

As you yourself just said… this ain’t the same star WR the Giants had.
I think what he did for Baltimore was help get Lamar Jackson signed.

Back
Top Bottom