Ryder breaks down Slot WR3 Malik Washington... He's going to impress! | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ryder breaks down Slot WR3 Malik Washington... He's going to impress!

I think there is a conversation about why NOT build a room of smaller receivers who are fast and quick, can separate and run precise routes in this particular offense.

Bigger slower dudes take longer to get to point b in the route and that’s a no no in this timing based offense.
McDaniel loves the Endzone fade.

Who is the fade guy? Who is the jumpball 50/50 guy? Jonnu Smith? (Assuming he doesnt have to stay in pass pro)

I hope it is Jonnu. Throwing jump fades to little guys always seemed silly to me.

I am really hoping they use the TEs and running game more in these situations this year.

I hope it is Jonnu. Throwing jump fades to little guys always seemed silly to me.

I am really hoping they use the TEs and running game more in these situations this year.
Considering its McDaniel's favorite friggin redzone play, you'd think he would want a guy that can win that play.

Considering its McDaniel's favorite friggin redzone play, you'd think he would want a guy that can win that play.
McD seems like a smart dude. I am hoping he can objectively look at the lack of success this offseason and instead of continuing to try to fit a square peg in a round hole next year, redevelops his playcalling and adapts to better options.

McD seems like a smart dude. I am hoping he can objectively look at the lack of success this offseason and instead of continuing to try to fit a square peg in a round hole next year, redevelops his playcalling and adapts to better options.
I thought that. But I feel like he is far more stubborn than he lets on.

McDaniel loves the Endzone fade.

Who is the fade guy? Who is the jumpball 50/50 guy? Jonnu Smith? (Assuming he doesnt have to stay in pass pro)
I dont think you take up a roster spot for jump ball purposes, you put together a group that can run precision timing routes and can separate.

Devante Parker a bigger slower receiver would not fit.

Last edited:
Watching his games, he reminds me of Mark Clayton. Something about the way he jumps and lands with great body control. They were both fast 4.4s but not compared to Duper or Hill/Waddle. Similar in the way they fight for the ball in the air too. I keep going back and forth between him and Mo as my favorite picks. Clayton was the guy I always pretended to be as a kid when playing football so Malik has that edge.

How did this guy fall so far in the draft? I know he's small but so is xavier worthy. And honestly I like this guys highlights better than worthys.
Worthy was pretty special on tape. His highlights didn't show how consistently he was open. He just had crappy QBs.

As for Malik, he fell b/c of size and a great WR class. Too many people are size queens and think that's what's important for a WR. Even on contested catches/red zone plays, the stats show that the big (over 6'4" receivers) aren't any better on average in those areas. People assume they are but the stats show it is an incorrect assumption.

Reality is that route running, separation and hands are what translate. Teams will see the size/speed metrics and assume they can coach up the rest (and thus over draft them), but the reality is that development is not guaranteed. That's why the success rate on 1st round WRs is amongst the worst of any position.

We can be like the Washington smurf receivers

View attachment 169689

I think all 3 were under 5'10"
Leaving out HOFer Art Monk (WAS 1980-1993, 3x Superbowl Champion) was 6'3". #81 - he may not have been in this picture. Monk was either the #1 or #2 receiver for that team until he turned the corner and became the clear #1 in 1984.

Pictured:
Clarence Harmon #38 was a RB and 5'10"
Alvin Garrett #89 WR was 5'7"
Ricky Walker #88 was a TE and 6'4"

May not have been in picture:

Charlie Brown #87 WR 5'10"
Virgil Seay #80 WR 5'8"

This was probably the 1982 Washington team that somehow in a strike-shortened season managed to defeat the Miami Dolphins 27-17 in the Superbowl. Booooo

The only WRs that registered receptions that year are those 4: 6'3", 5'10", 5'8" and 5'7"

Dolphins this year may be one of the shortest WR position groups but definitely one of the fastest.

I dont think you take up a roster spot for jump ball purposes, you put together a group that can run precision timing routes and can separate.

But bro, we had that. It didnt work.

And again, McDaniel loves the fade. Cant throw the fade to midgets.

Or we could just not throw the fade at all - which is statistically one of the lowest percentage plays you can call in the end zone.
It works for other teams though.

McDaniel can't help himself. He called himself out for running that play too much and then continued to call it.

Agreed. And when you look at measurables, Devante is 6 inches taller but his vertical is 6 inches less. Looks like it could be a wash on the 50/50 jump ball.

It works for other teams though.

McDaniel can't help himself. He called himself out for running that play too much and then continued to call it.
It works for every team once in awhile, sure.

It is statistically one of the worst endzone plays you can call… not team specific, I’m talking it’s unsuccessful in general all the time for everyone.

Back
Top Bottom