The Eich Factor | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Eich Factor

Other poster(s) have provided statistical substantiation that Eich was just fine at RG in the 2 games he played there. That should be his job to lose. Driscoll is a nice depth add having experience at G and T (albeit much better at G). In any event i am sure the best group of 5 will start and depth behind them will be much improved this season.
Im not sure two games is enough to demonstrate much. I don’t think that’s enough to give him an advantage going in or to think he’s going to be the presumed starter til proven otherwise. They will give him a fair shot for sure, but Driscoll was the starter for the Eagles at OG in 2021 for 9 straight games til he was injured. And graded out at 70 plus. Eich will have to show marked improvement imo. Akin to what AJ did.

Im not sure two games is enough to demonstrate much. I don’t think that’s enough to give him an advantage going in or to think he’s going to be the presumed starter til proven otherwise. They will give him a fair shot for sure, but Driscoll was the starter for the Eagles at OG in 2021 for 9 straight games til he was injured. And graded out at 70 plus. Eich will have to show marked improvement imo. Akin to what AJ did.
I've been saying since we signed him that Driscoll is the guy I'd favor to start at RG. Obviously Eich could take a developmental step and over take, but that would be a good thing. I'd like to go into the season with Wynn at LG and Driscoll at RG with Eich and Jones as the back-ups.

I know there's a whole thread on our needs at G but I don't think it's as critical as that OP. I would like another IOL, but IMO we have 3-4 Gs that are adequate level starters. My big fear is back-up C. I do not see anybody on the roster that I feel confident with as C depth.

Eichenbust is definitely in the PROVE IT stage of his career. Do it now or go away. I hope he proves to be the answer we traded up for... but I think the loss of Hunt is significant.

I've been saying since we signed him that Driscoll is the guy I'd favor to start at RG. Obviously Eich could take a developmental step and over take, but that would be a good thing. I'd like to go into the season with Wynn at LG and Driscoll at RG with Eich and Jones as the back-ups.

I know there's a whole thread on our needs at G but I don't think it's as critical as that OP. I would like another IOL, but IMO we have 3-4 Gs that are adequate level starters. My big fear is back-up C. I do not see anybody on the roster that I feel confident with as C depth.
Hopefully Meyer out of UTEP can be that backup center.

Completely agree. Everyone has to earn their role and roster soot even Tua. Admittedly the competition for OG is one of the most wide open on the team--followed closely by WR, DT, TE and DB. Kind of feel we know how the other positions will shake out barring injury, further acquisitions or crazy out of the blue performances by rookies in camp and preseason.

We signed two interior OL UDFAs and one hopes they can be better than what Eich brought last year at C. If Eich is the C due to injury we are in trouble. One started multiple seasons at C at UTEP. The other, Matthew Jones, was a good player for Ohio St. and played his last entire game at C for them and performed well.

If they flash in the preseason, Miami could save $3.4 million if they cut Eich.
I like Andrew from UTEP

If Wynn is the Week 1 LG, we need to have an equally capable #2 LG, because the chances of him getting hurt look about as likely as Armstead. It is too bad Wynn is so injury-prone because he is pretty decent besides that.

Risner barely played with cousins this year although what you said about cousins isn’t remotely true. Tua was responsible for 10.3% of his hurries/sacks/pressures/hits while cousins was responsible for 4.5% of his. On top of that cousins time to throw average under pressure was 2.97 seconds while Tua’s was 3.04.

All that’s irrelevant because he posted similar stats last year with Russell Wilson and the year before with teddy bridgewater and the year before with Drew Lock and the year before with Joe Flacco. We can’t blame the qb every time, he’s just not great. His run blocking is also way worse than his pass blocking. He’s just not good at all or worth a contract.

Van Roten is the only free agent out there that would be an upgrade. Sign him and wait on Connor Williams who I imagine will be available around mid season.

The issue last year was not the guard position Wynn/Jones/Eich all looked good at guard last year. We signed Driscoll to add to that depth as well. Lester Cotton is the only guard that actually scares me on Miami’s roster as he was not good at all.

The issue was when Eich had to play C this completely killed our guard spots forcing Cotton into starting LG the final month of the season. Had the line been Armstead/Eich/Williams/Jones/Jackson things would have been much different.

If anything we need an actual backup C way more then a guard. There’s nothing that will ruin the season faster than Eich back at C. He’s solid at guard but he was downright awful at C.
Where may I ask did you find this info?

Where may I ask did you find this info?

Pff allowed pressure then you can sort by which position allowed the pressure. Surpringly Miami’s most pressure came from the RT spot

Respectfully disagree with that comparison. I think this version is more accurate :chuckle:

1. You're an apprentice brick layer in the construction industry. After your apprenticeship ends you are hired part time full time by a construction company with a new Foreman. Your first building season isn't easy with limited action 17 big jobs, 16 of which you worked in full, but you are "paying your dues getting experience.

2. The next season you have a new Foreman who asks you to do concrete work structural brick work. Its new to you but you happily have to agree because there is only 1,696 brick worker jobs in the world. Its not easy and you make some a ton of mistakes but you learn and by seasons end realize your work is pretty good absolutely atrocious for a novice an experienced brick worker who now has 4 years of apprenticeship and two full years on the job.

3.The next season, yet another new Foreman, allows you to continue as a concrete structural brick worker. Then suddenly, the framer Foreman next to you gets hurt and you are asked to be the Framing expert for the entire project. hires a better structural brick worker. He says he's going to move you into structural tile work, You have no experience framing with structural tile, but you accept this and try your best, because the basic fundamentals are the same while the techniques vary. Learning as you go.

I've stated it before, Eichenberg main issues have been a lack of strength, with no ability to anchor down. He ends up on his ass far too often. I don't need or want to see him rolled up on the legs of Armstead (again), Jackson or Tua.

I want him to prove me wrong, but going into year 4 @ 26 years old it's hard to see it happening. He has yet to fix his biggest weaknesses and imo that has nothing to do with position change. He needs to be drastically stronger to stand any chance of turning his career around.

If he walks through the door looking and carrying himself like Jackson did last year I'd happily reconsider my outlook on him. We'll see what Eich looks like when August rolls around. I posted this last August:

Proof positive that this poster can "ruin a wet dream". - LOL
Dream on. - LOL

What y'all don't know is Eich is paying half Risners future salary with us to help take some of the heat off him.

Many years working in PR taught me this. When bad news breaks, buy time until some different bad news breaks and takes the eyeballs off if you.

So, "Lemmings" are a form of bad news bears. - LOL

I see this quite a bit, it's an interesting narrative comparing the two. Jackson played in 3 games of 2022, but for all we know without the injury could have broken out that year. He also hasn't played as poorly as Eich consistently. Hell Jacksons worst year is still better than any of Eichs.

Jackson:
View attachment 169858

Eich:
View attachment 169859
Look again at your stats and tell me which one improved any of his 1st year stats and which one only got "worser". - LOL

A word to the wise, read what you have posted. - LOL

I am!!!

They certainly do when they follow a group of games with poorer play.

Pff allowed pressure then you can sort by which position allowed the pressure. Surpringly Miami’s most pressure came from the RT spot

I like PFF but that is deeper into the weeds than I've bothered to venture so far. Since you seem to consider PFF a reliable source as I do, when comparing their Pass Blocking Efficiency percentages, Risner is very close to Van Roten career-wise, as well as most of the Dolphins OGs last season besides Hunt.
Van Roten: 97.1
Cotton: 96.9
Wynn: 96.9
Risner: 97.3
Jones: 97.0
Eichenberg: 95.9 (which includes his atrocious rookie season at LT, and his snaps at C last season) Eich was 97.4 in 2023 which was mostly at C plus the 3 games at LG/RG. So he is trending up.
Driscoll was 96.5 in 2021 his one season of nearly all RG. His PBE when playing either OT is worse than Eich's.

So IMO, it is splitting hairs to say Van Roten would be an upgrade but to dismiss Risner as he simply sucks. One other positive about Risner is he's very durable. He's only missed 4 games in his career. There could be something to the story foisted by Slowmar Smelly that Barry and Risner do not get along. If he is correct for a change, well, any notion of Risner being signed would seem to be a nonstarter. It is Slowmar though so I guess we should consider the source. Since Cam Fleming was another one who played for Barry in 2022 and we never signed him either, when depth at OT looked like a need, maybe the unit-wide blaming of Barry for their perceived struggles was really a thing. I do not know either way. I'm sure most of us can only speculate about it.

Back
Top Bottom