The Guard Position | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Guard Position

Now that the draft is over, my biggest concern is at guard. The projected starters are Wynn and Eichenberg. That's not a comfortable feeling.

I'm not disappointed in the draft, as Grier was looking for the future while balancing the need for edge rushers, but would have like to add a quality guard.

Others on the roster include Cotton, Driscoll (added as a free agent), Hayes (a later rounder last year), Hines, and Robert Jones. There were a few added as UDFA as well.

Do we think Grier signs another offensive linemen, or hopes some young players step up?
From my friend on a different forum:
"I'm not concerned about the IOL. Wynn, Jones, Cotton and Eichenberg all got significant snaps at OG last year and Wynn and Jones were solid IMO. Eichenberg was bad at OC, which wasn't surprising because he had never played there before, but he was OK at OG. I don't think Cotton is good, but Driscoll has played decently at OG in the past.

Wynn, Eichenberg and Jones played 973 snaps at OG last year and had 19 blown blocks, for a blown block rate of 1.9%. That's good. Very good, in fact. Only 16 individual OGs with 200+ snaps had a blown block rate of 1.9% or less. Eichenberg's blown block rate at OG last year was 0.9%, which was 3rd best in the league. Robert Jones was at 2.1%, which was 21st best. Wynn was at 2.4%, which was 37th best.

At RG, Eichenberg had just 1 blown block in 141 snaps, which was 2nd best in the league among guys that had 100+ snaps at RG. At LG, Robert Jones had 2 blown blocks in 142 snaps, for a blown block rate of 1.4%, which was 5th best in the league. And while Lester Cotton was bad at RG, at LG his blown block rate was a very solid 2.0%, which was 14th best in the league.

Even with Eichenberg's struggles at OC and the Lester Cotton snaps at RG, the IOL was a part of the offense leading the league in yards, 2nd in points, 1st in passing yards, 1st in PBE, 1st in rush YPC, 1st in rush TDs, etc."

From the same friend:
"It's possible that RG, which Eich hadn't played until last season but played it pretty well, is really Eichenberg's position. He played well there last year. He played there against the Jets and Raiders and got solid PFF grades, had only 1 blown block and gave up only 1 pressure (no sacks). The Jets game presumably includes matchups with Quinnen Williams and he gave up no pressures in that game.

Jones was fine overall last year and in 2022 too. The wheels don't come off this offense because Robert Jones is playing OG.

And Driscoll played some RG in Philly and the wheels didn't come off there either. In 243 pass block snaps at OG, Driscoll gave up 1 sack, 2 QB hits and 11 hurries. Not dominant but not a disaster by any means. And in 8 games at OG in 2021, the Eagles averaged 175 yards rushing per game, so he didn't seem to have an adverse effect on their run game."

I thought Wynn did well at LG. Not concerned in the slightest about LG.

Need a starting caliber back up if he gets hurt, of course.

Eich probably starts at RG.

Need a starting caliber RG in case he gets injures, or falters.

I'd prefer it not be one guy backing up both spots.

Last year we were bailing water with some third stringers starting.

Robert Jones will start at RG and he’s going to be very good.

"I'm not concerned about the IOL. Wynn, Jones, Cotton and Eichenberg all got significant snaps at OG last year and Wynn and Jones were solid IMO. Eichenberg was bad at OC, which wasn't surprising because he had never played there before, but he was OK at OG. I don't think Cotton is good, but Driscoll has played decently at OG in the past.

Wynn, Eichenberg and Jones played 973 snaps at OG last year and had 19 blown blocks, for a blown block rate of 1.9%. That's good. Very good, in fact. Only 16 individual OGs with 200+ snaps had a blown block rate of 1.9% or less. Eichenberg's blown block rate at OG last year was 0.9%, which was 3rd best in the league. Robert Jones was at 2.1%, which was 21st best. Wynn was at 2.4%, which was 37th best.

At RG, Eichenberg had just 1 blown block in 141 snaps, which was 2nd best in the league among guys that had 100+ snaps at RG. At LG, Robert Jones had 2 blown blocks in 142 snaps, for a blown block rate of 1.4%, which was 5th best in the league. And while Lester Cotton was bad at RG, at LG his blown block rate was a very solid 2.0%, which was 14th best in the league.

Even with Eichenberg's struggles at OC and the Lester Cotton snaps at RG, the IOL was a part of the offense leading the league in yards, 2nd in points, 1st in passing yards, 1st in PBE, 1st in rush YPC, 1st in rush TDs, etc."
Interesting if correct. I have no reason to assume it isn't.

On the other hand, regardless of any statistical metrics, it is imperitive that we give the QB (any QB) more time in a solid pocket.

Good write up by your buddy. The issue wasn’t a single player last year that made it bad. If we have 4 of our starters even 3 of them. The issue was like in the Tennesse game when you only had Jackson from our starters and it was like Lamm, Cotton, Eich and Jones with Jackson or when you had a combo of two of those guys with Eich at C. Eich at C was really awful and that’s what needs to be avoided at all cost especially when you add backup guards next to him because now you have multiple guys that need help.

Robert Jones will start at RG and he’s going to be very good.
If he wins the job, awesome. I think it's Eich's job to lose (and he won't).

Unless we bring in an established starter.

I was impressed with Kion Smith when he had to come in for Lamm (who was in for Armstead), and let's not forget Kion played at RG and LG leading up to the draft.

We have some cap space coming up in June for X's contract. I think we sign a serviceable vet eventually...

If he wins the job, awesome. I think it's Eich's job to lose (and he won't).

Unless we bring in an established starter.

I was impressed with Kion Smith when he had to come in for Lamm (who was in for Armstead), and let's not forget Kion played at RG and LG leading up to the draft.
Kion might be the "wildcard" in this whole thing. Armstead took an instant liking to the kid, acting as a mentor type.

Not sure about his viability at guard, but maybe.

Now that the draft is over, my biggest concern is at guard. The projected starters are Wynn and Eichenberg. That's not a comfortable feeling.

I'm not disappointed in the draft, as Grier was looking for the future while balancing the need for edge rushers, but would have like to add a quality guard.

Others on the roster include Cotton, Driscoll (added as a free agent), Hayes (a later rounder last year), Hines, and Robert Jones. There were a few added as UDFA as well.

Do we think Grier signs another offensive linemen, or hopes some young players step up?

I anticipate the Dolphins are not done bringing in players for training camp.

I anticipate there may be some more OL players brought in. As to which positions are brought in, that is more a question of which good players are available as opposed to where we are weakest at. And like our recent draft, the FA's we bring in are going to be a kind of BPA as opposed to being direct fills for weak spots.

I will point out that there are posters here so tied up in their personal "angst" over a players' past performance that it blinds them to any improvements that a player may or may not have made. They become terribly "myopic" in terms of some of our OL players from last year. One player didn't have any notable success until the end of the season when he started to show some serious competence.

He now has both experience and has started to perform effectively. Should we discard him for someone who may not be much better as of today and would want a lot more money? The answer should be an obvious NO, unless we can bring in someone who is in the top 10 in the NFL and has 5 or more years of effective play left in him, if such a player exists. If he does exist, would we be able to afford him? NO, we would not be able to afford him.

In the end, it's overall team improvement at depth which appears to be the FO's goal this season - based on who they have already brought in as FA's, along with our recent draft picks.

This represents a significant turning point in the way the Dolphins are developing as a team, as opposed to when desperation drove our player selection process. One typical indicator is the loss of some good players leaving to enter FA. This is most noticeable on good teams because they have better players!

We still have some seriously good players on the OL and have bought in some potential replacements to improve weaker spots on the OL. We are also bringing in some potentially future elite players. Only time and experience will tell, but we are certainly "setting the table" with our recent draft with some solid selections and some potentially super selections of untested (in the NFL) players.

First off though, they have to make the 53-man roster. Until then, complaining about who we picked is just an exercise in ego inflation. As we delve into UDFA's where we appear to have a much higher success rate that other teams have, we can see where the FO is going and that is for strength in depth and one or two riskier picks that show a plausibility to be "real studs".

Last year we made the playoffs even though we were riddled with injuries - worse than any other team in the league - and finished the season with a lot of third string players on the field. That says more about this team than any of our "Lemmings" hyperbolic, inaccurate, and most often, erroneous posts.

This year I am satisfied we will be starting with a slightly better team, but one that will have significantly better depth across the board. For those reasons I feel we will win our division and be very competitive in the playoffs.

That's the facts Jack. - LOL

I wouldn't rule out Williams. He wants to get healthy first and figure out football second.

If he come back to Miami, all set.
Maybe.

He may have some animosity for the franchise at this point.

Looking at it from his perspective, he asked for an extension before the season as insurance in case of injury. We basically told him pound sand.

Then he has a career altering injury that, in his eyes, might very well have cost him millions in future earnings.

I doubt that set well with him, and I can understand why.

Back
Top Bottom