The "Size Matters" Post | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The "Size Matters" Post

Weight and bulk matter at some positions, but I don't think height matters much anywhere. There are great short players (often some of the very best ever) at pretty much every position other than maybe OT. I think guys get picked later in the draft due to height all the time and targeting short guys is a great way to find great value in the draft.

Weight and bulk matter at some positions, but I don't think height matters much anywhere. There are great short players (often some of the very best ever) at pretty much every position other than maybe OT. I think guys get picked later in the draft due to height all the time and targeting short guys is a great way to find great value in the draft.
I remember when Ol players were considered big at 250 pounds and most of those guys had big bellies.

Now we see players at 300 pounds who are "ripped".
What a change!

The prototype way of scouting came from Parcells, he felt that if you stick to those certain size parameters relative to position then you will wind up being right more than wrong.

Grier does not in anyway adhere to that strategy.

Toughness and “dawg” matters too. I see someone like Malik Washington (5’8 1/2 weighing in at 191 combine)….. and I watch him consistently break tackles and create yards after contact. He has insane balance and looks like a running back with the ball in his hands. Then you have 6’3/210 WRs who shy away from contact every chance they get.

Size does matter but there’s more to the story.

Exactly, it's not about the size of the dawg, but the size of the bite of that dawg.

Achane, scary speed, but impossible to bring down single handedly. Hill, tougher to bring down then most big receivers.

Gesicki, if the wind is a bit more then a slight breeze, he's going down.

For those fretting about not measuring up...

Jacquizz Rodgers, RB, 5'7"
Mark McMillan, CB, 5'7"
Trindon Holliday, KR/PR, 5'5"
Bob Sanders, S, 5'8"
Antoine Winfield, CB, 5'9"
Maurice Jones-Drew, RB, 5'8"
Steve Smith, WR, 5'9"
Wes Welker, WR, 5'8-9"
Darren Sproles, RB, 5'6"
"Soapy" Shapiro, A, 5'1"
Barry Sanders, RB, 5'8"
Brandon Banks, WR/KR, 5'7"
Ray Rice, RB, 5'8"
Dexter McCluster, WR, 5'8"
Doug Martin, RB, 5'9"
Brandon Boykin, CB, 5'9"
Danny Woodhead, RB, 5'8"

You can also peruse through this massive work and find quite a few more examples of all sizes to enjoy:

What a fun posting. Thanks, man.

Exactly, it's not about the size of the dawg, but the size of the bite of that dawg.

Achane, scary speed, but impossible to bring down single handedly. Hill, tougher to bring down then most big receivers.

Gesicki, if the wind is a bit more then a slight breeze, he's going down.
That blows. - LOL

Yeah sometimes one can be too big.....from what I've been told 😉

Speaking of which, will Tua be able to see over Patrick Paul?
Won’t matter for at least a year… unless BOTH Armstead AND Lamm are injured. And I’ll guess with Keon Smith or Lester “the molester” Cotton takes the LT spot. I’d use the guy like a goal line RB… or blocker.

For instance, Darrell Green (CB 5'9") whose jersey was just retired by Washington
Corners and receivers didn’t really get huge until the late 90s. You started seeing more 6”4 receivers and 6’0+ dbs. I feel like Tony Gonzales changed the game at TE too

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom