The "Who You Would have Drafted" Thread | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The "Who You Would have Drafted" Thread

This looks like fun... with 20/20 rearview vision, what would I have done?

Without getting too cute and saying "trade down... or up... or whatever", I would have gone OL. I liked both Morgan and Guyton a great deal. Morgan was the safe G/T and Guyton was the boom/bust LT.

1. Guyton

With my lineman in hand, I would NOT have taken Paul here... heck, I didn't think Paul would fall here, so in retrospect... Chop/Paul is probably better than what I would have done.
I wasn't thrilled with the options here... the choice would have come down to Kneeland or Sumataia as a Guard.

2. Kneeland

4. Wright... all day, and twice on Sunday. Getting our future starting RB here was grand theft.

5. Kamara... again, theft.

Did NOT like the next pick. I'm hoping that we sign Chark after Jun 1st. In my perfect draft scenario, we already have a handshake deal in place.

6. Johnny Wilson

Called this pick the previous night, though, at the time, I had expected that Trey Taylor would already be gone. Still, I struggle with taking service academy guys late. They tend to retire quickly and head back into the military unless they are immediate stars.

6. McMorris

...and finally, I would have juggled either Corneleus Johnson or a safety here, but then again, I've got Chark coming, and I'm willing to spend on UDFA Safeties, so...

7. KT Levenston (Guard)

How did you not like the Malik Washington pick?!?! It was in the 6th round!!!!!! We got some steals but that may be the biggest steal yet. I could understand being upset if we drafted him in the 2nd round but 6th?!?! C'mon

Like, who else were you dying to get in the 6th round at that point? Lol

Last edited:
How did you not like the Malik Washington pick?!?! It was in the 6th round!!!!!! We got some steals but that may be the biggest steal yet. I could understand being upset if we drafted him in the 2nd round but 6th?!?! C'mon

Like, who else were you dying to get in the 6th round at that point? Lol
A WR with size... something we lack.

At least he is physical for his size, but yeah would love Miami to get that bigger receiver.
I understand the pick... I do.

He fell a couple rounds farther than he should have and became best player available...

Same thing with T. Washington...

This year's draft was an absolute study in BPA strategy... so those that like BPA should have LOVED this strategy... loved it.

But I'm not a strict BPA guy... I think you also have to factor in your actual team needs...

So I guess I'm left wondering, "Does McD actually think that size does not matter with regard to WRs?".

I hope not, because I disagree. I'll grant that he's more knowledgeable than this one grumpy fan, but it is also true that some (most?) football people value size.

Chark.

Sign DJ Chark.

I understand the pick... I do.

He fell a couple rounds farther than he should have and became best player available...

Same thing with T. Washington...

This year's draft was an absolute study in BPA strategy... so those that like BPA should have LOVED this strategy... loved it.

But I'm not a strict BPA guy... I think you also have to factor in your actual team needs...

So I guess I'm left wondering, "Does McD actually think that size does not matter with regard to WRs?".

I hope not, because I disagree. I'll grant that he's more knowledgeable than this one grumpy fan, but it is also true that some (most?) football people value size.

Chark.

Sign DJ Chark.
Agree with you. To that point, you saw that I would have taken Thomas at 21.

I thought we might, and while it wasn't my preference, I would have understood and backed the idea.

The ones I dreaded drafting were Barton, DeJean, and any DT.
It also looks like Miami wants speed over power at running back. I do understand that, but would love a more physical back to pair with Achane.

I don't think the Dolphins added any significant physicality on offense. I like the balance of speed and power.

It also looks like Miami wants speed over power at running back. I do understand that, but would love a more physical back to pair with Achane.

I don't think the Dolphins added any significant physicality on offense. I like the balance of speed and power.
I think the new guy IS more powerful. He carries 210# now at barely 21 years old.

Mostert and Achane are scatback types where Wright has a more traditional bell cow frame. Kamara weighed 214# at the combine. Zeke and Barkley were heavier, but they were also going to power-gap blocking teams.

I think Wright will probably end up in the 215-220 range as he matures... and yes, I do think he's our RB1 by next year at the latest.

if i
A WR with size... something we lack.

Seems a little over dramatic reason to really dislike or hate a 6th round pick on a WR.

If I recall I remember you were not a fan of the Achane pick as well. We have the big guys already in EZ E, Jonnu, cracraft, Cedrick Wilson, it's clear McDaniel has a preference for his offense. And we tried with claypool.

And using a 6th round pick on someone doesn't mean they will ignore the idea of trying to bring someone else in. Generally 6th round picks aren't expected to play much so that doesnt mean they address the 3rd WR for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
if i

Seems a little over dramatic reason to really dislike or hate a 6th round pick on a WR.

If I recall I remember you were not a fan of the Achane pick as well. We have the big guys already in EZ E, Jonnu, cracraft, Cedrick Wilson, it's clear McDaniel has a preference for his offense. And we tried with claypool.

And using a 6th round pick on someone doesn't mean they will ignore the idea of trying to bring someone else in. Generally 6th round picks aren't expected to play much so that doesnt mean they address the 3rd WR for the foreseeable future.
There were a couple of guys on the board that I really liked for a possible X receiver when we took Washington.
I didn't and don't hate Washington... I liked others better.

No, I was not a fan of Achane leading up to the draft. For several reasons... 1) The fans here were talking him up as a first or second round pick and that was a horrible value play. Taking him in the third made more sense.
2) I thought then, and I continue to think now that he's a RB2. A guy who is only fit for 10-12 carries per game and is a fairly major injury risk-- which is what happened.

Indeed, we've already gone back to the well by drafting Wright, who I believe is a MUCH better prospect, and we got him in the middle of the 4th round.

Achane is a fun player, and yes, we have the perfect system for him to succeed... on early downs and as part of a committee. I think we over drafted him by a round or two.

Not horrible considering how much fun that he was... but that brings me back to Malik. At least he was a 6th round pick, that is value-- even if I would have taken a different reciever.

1. I would have preferred IOL with our first pick. Either Barton or Guyton if we stayed at #21, Powers-Johnson or Frazier if we could have found a trade-down partner.
2. While Malik Washington looks like he'll be a nice slot receiver, I wish we would have taken one with some size. If not Johnny Wilson, someone at least 6'2" with a good catch radius. If we get into 3rd and goal outside the 3 yard line, are we really going to try to run fades with our 5'10" receivers? Or do we line up in 3-TE formation?

Hard to believe the NFL draft is in the books. So, who would you have drafted? Put on your GM caps and lets discuss. One stipulation, from my standpoint, the 2025 draft is said to be deep on the defensive side. So, I went heavy offense.

1. Thomas, WR LSU
For me, I've already stated that I discounted Chop Robinson due to lack of size. That was definitely a swing for the fences pick. I did the same here, but on offense, and went with a big receiver, whose explosive numbers are really off the charts. I also considered Barton, Dejean and Newton. Thomas is the type of receiver Miami doesn't have and would likely be a great complement for Hill and Waddle.

2. Beebe, OG
A plug and play starter at LG. Love his ability to move people in the run game. I viewed guard as Miami's biggest weakness going into the draft.

4. TJ Tampa (the trade up)
First, I love the Wright pick but really wasn't considering running back. Prior to the pick, I stated in a thread that I'd trade up for Franklin or Tampa. Tampa's size and physicality impressed me and felt he'd fit Weaver's defense. I think he went a round later.

5. Foster, OT
My concentration is obviously the offensive line. I think he could be a steal and the LT of the future.

5. Joe Milton, QB
He went a round later to NE. My vision for him would be to serve as the short-yardage (push play) quarterback. Intriguing physical tools, who could challenge Thompson or White for a backup role.

6. Malik Washington, WR
Made the same pick as Grier here. I was excited to see him on the board. Tough, catches everything, good at breaking tackles (YAC).

6. Christian Mahogany, OG
Went a few picks later to Detroit. Not sure why he dropped so low after being considered a 3rd rounder in most mocks. Could compete for RG. I basically took the Pittsburgh Steelers approach on the offensive line!

7. Brevyn Spann-Ford, TE
A 6-6 tight end, known mostly for blocking, who could be a redzone threat. Went undrafted.
I really would've liked Bebee at 55 or trade down and get him since he dropped and would've taken Boyd instead of McMorris bc he's a massive NT that we don't currently have. Seemed like a Ravens type guy fell in our lap and instead we took a possible UDFA ugh

Hard to believe the NFL draft is in the books. So, who would you have drafted? Put on your GM caps and lets discuss. One stipulation, from my standpoint, the 2025 draft is said to be deep on the defensive side. So, I went heavy offense.

1. Thomas, WR LSU
For me, I've already stated that I discounted Chop Robinson due to lack of size. That was definitely a swing for the fences pick. I did the same here, but on offense, and went with a big receiver, whose explosive numbers are really off the charts. I also considered Barton, Dejean and Newton. Thomas is the type of receiver Miami doesn't have and would likely be a great complement for Hill and Waddle.

2. Beebe, OG
A plug and play starter at LG. Love his ability to move people in the run game. I viewed guard as Miami's biggest weakness going into the draft.

4. TJ Tampa (the trade up)
First, I love the Wright pick but really wasn't considering running back. Prior to the pick, I stated in a thread that I'd trade up for Franklin or Tampa. Tampa's size and physicality impressed me and felt he'd fit Weaver's defense. I think he went a round later.

5. Foster, OT
My concentration is obviously the offensive line. I think he could be a steal and the LT of the future.

5. Joe Milton, QB
He went a round later to NE. My vision for him would be to serve as the short-yardage (push play) quarterback. Intriguing physical tools, who could challenge Thompson or White for a backup role.

6. Malik Washington, WR
Made the same pick as Grier here. I was excited to see him on the board. Tough, catches everything, good at breaking tackles (YAC).

6. Christian Mahogany, OG
Went a few picks later to Detroit. Not sure why he dropped so low after being considered a 3rd rounder in most mocks. Could compete for RG. I basically took the Pittsburgh Steelers approach on the offensive line!

7. Brevyn Spann-Ford, TE
A 6-6 tight end, known mostly for blocking, who could be a redzone threat. Went undrafted.
Would have LOVED that draft

Back
Top Bottom