Thoughts on the Draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Thoughts on the Draft

Finswatch

Club Member
Reaction score
I think the team got 3-4 players who will help this year in Chop, Jalen Wright, Malik Washington and possibly Kamara. Maybe 1-2 more UDFAs as well.

Fautanu lasting until #20 didn't make me happy. Wirfs wasn't as close to us and letting him slip away still bothers me, I think Fautanu would have solved a lot of problems for us, now and in the future. I guess you can blame this on not having enough picks or the possibility that the pick was going to be a pass rusher no matter which OL were left.

Like Chop and think he will give us some production this year but would have been happier with Fautanu in Round 1 and a lesser EDGE in round 2.

I get the Patrick Paul pick, don't really like it. Hopefully I'm wrong and he's a starter in a year. Very confused by the summaries of his game from different sources- one says he moves well and is athletic, another says he is stiff and doesn't move well, one says he has a lot of experience and is technically sound, another says he needs a lot of work, My guess is that not many of these "experts" ever watched a Houston game and fewer understand what is or isn't a good prospect to play LT.

Liked the aggressive trade up to get into the 4th and to get a player they targeted to improve the offense. Wright is a fantastic runner who is becoming a better receiver and pass blocker. Injuries at RB were a factor last season and having three guys who can contribute is smart. I think Wright is going to be an exciting player like Achane was last season.

I hope the team never goes into any future drafts with only six picks, day 2 was a slog waiting for pick 55 to come around and then watching the third round without any real hope of trading back to get a top 100 player.

Still need a guard or two but think now we don't need a veteran WR. Really like Malik Washington, especially where we got him.

Wish we had grabbed one of the top 10 safeties in this class, GB made it tough by. grabbing THREE safeties that were top 10 or 12. Pat McMorris doesn't sound like a player who is going to be able to play right away. Would have loved Hicks or Bishop but not having a 3 or 4 at the time didn't help

I think the team got 3-4 players who will help this year in Chop, Jalen Wright, Malik Washington and possibly Kamara. Maybe 1-2 more UDFAs as well.

Fautanu lasting until #20 didn't make me happy. Wirfs wasn't as close to us and letting him slip away still bothers me, I think Fautanu would have solved a lot of problems for us, now and in the future. I guess you can blame this on not having enough picks or the possibility that the pick was going to be a pass rusher no matter which OL were left.

Like Chop and think he will give us some production this year but would have been happier with Fautanu in Round 1 and a lesser EDGE in round 2.

I get the Patrick Paul pick, don't really like it. Hopefully I'm wrong and he's a starter in a year. Very confused by the summaries of his game from different sources- one says he moves well and is athletic, another says he is stiff and doesn't move well, one says he has a lot of experience and is technically sound, another says he needs a lot of work, My guess is that not many of these "experts" ever watched a Houston game and fewer understand what is or isn't a good prospect to play LT.

Liked the aggressive trade up to get into the 4th and to get a player they targeted to improve the offense. Wright is a fantastic runner who is becoming a better receiver and pass blocker. Injuries at RB were a factor last season and having three guys who can contribute is smart. I think Wright is going to be an exciting player like Achane was last season.

I hope the team never goes into any future drafts with only six picks, day 2 was a slog waiting for pick 55 to come around and then watching the third round without any real hope of trading back to get a top 100 player.

Still need a guard or two but think now we don't need a veteran WR. Really like Malik Washington, especially where we got him.

Wish we had grabbed one of the top 10 safeties in this class, GB made it tough by. grabbing THREE safeties that were top 10 or 12. Pat McMorris doesn't sound like a player who is going to be able to play right away. Would have loved Hicks or Bishop but not having a 3 or 4 at the time didn't help
We'll have ten picks next year.

Grier had arguably one of the best interior lineman in Graham Barton sitting in his lap but chose to take a project edge rusher instead. What makes this worse is that he took 2 more pass rushers after the Chop pick.
I also thought that Barton was going to be the pick. He will be a good NFL Guard. He was the safe and solid pick. However, the other way to look at this is that GM Chris Grier and his analytical team (that includes former KC Scouting Director now Dolphins Asst GM, Marvin Allen and former Raiders GM, Reggie McKenzie) must really love the athleticism of Chop Robinson and his upside potential. The after pick video even shows big Reggie with beaming smile embracing Mike McDaniel.

Last edited:
I also thought that Barton was going to be the pick. He will be a good NFL Guard. He was the safe and solid pick. However, the other way to look at this is that GM Chris Grier and his analytical team (that includes former Ravens asst GM, Marvin Allen and former Raiders GM, Reggie McKenzie) must really love the athleticism of Chop Robinson and his upside potential.
The post pic video even shows big Reggie with beaming smile embracing Mike McDaniel.
Oh I understand the pick...Its just that year after year we fail to win big games and always in January. Speed is important but in January its not that much of a factor...especially on the road up north. It always comes down to the trenches...

Oh I understand the pick...Its just that year after year we fail to win big games and always in January. Speed is important but in January its not that much of a factor...especially on the road up north. It always comes down to the trenches...
Kc did just draft the fastest guy. They also drafted a 2rd OT.. we'll see who picked the better LT eventually I guess.
Pretty sure speed will always matter, even up north.. I would be aiming for a 'road through Miami' approach.
Main reason we haven't won in post-season has been that we've just not been good enough. All the excuses and justifications don't change that we still lost.
Tons of bad gm's, coaches, qb's and more then our fair share of scandals.
But the reason for hope these days just feels more legit and carries more excitement at how close we are to finally getting to the other side. The organization has graded out 'A' as the best in the nfl.. plus, our roster is stacked with talent still.
Even though some 'elite' talent is gone in a few areas, we have replaced well enough in those areas, maybe even improved on some of our weaknesses(Howard seems to have been playing though injuries for a couple years now and Apple was so awful, there is no justification for Fangio not using Smith) instead and added valuable quality depth.
I'm concerned about a few things before I can commit to saying we're going to be a lock.. but I feel confident we can chum the waters and if we can come out the other side in a better health scenario we can definitely draw some blood .

Kc did just draft the fastest guy. They also drafted a 2rd OT.. we'll see who picked the better LT eventually I guess.
Pretty sure speed will always matter, even up north.. I would be aiming for a 'road through Miami' approach.
Main reason we haven't won in post-season has been that we've just not been good enough. All the excuses and justifications don't change that we still lost.
Tons of bad gm's, coaches, qb's and more then our fair share of scandals.
But the reason for hope these days just feels more legit and carries more excitement at how close we are to finally getting to the other side. The organization has graded out 'A' as the best in the nfl.. plus, our roster is stacked with talent still.
Even though some 'elite' talent is gone in a few areas, we have replaced well enough in those areas, maybe even improved on some of our weaknesses(Howard seems to have been playing though injuries for a couple years now and Apple was so awful, there is no justification for Fangio not using Smith) instead and added valuable quality depth.
I'm concerned about a few things before I can commit to saying we're going to be a lock.. but I feel confident we can chum the waters and if we can come out the other side in a better health scenario we can definitely draw some blood .
When you are the two-time Super bowl champion, you can afford a luxury pick.

I liked their approach post tyreek too.. something we should be preparing for as well
When you have a Mahomes, you can get away with some of those misses on draft day a bit easier

Grier had arguably one of the best interior lineman in Graham Barton sitting in his lap but chose to take a project edge rusher instead. What makes this worse is that he took 2 more pass rushers after the Chop pick.
Could it be he recognized our defense needed a lot of help? - LOL

Back
Top Bottom