Upgraded, Downgraded, Stayed the Same...You be the Judge! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Upgraded, Downgraded, Stayed the Same...You be the Judge!

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
So, with the final phase of free agency looming, and a few moves still to be made (maybe), where does Miami stand talent-wise compared to last season? Here's my take.

Quarterback (Same)
Tua Tagovailoa still may have an uptick in his game, especially since we are hearing he has slimmed down, and he's always been someone who keeps working to get better. Mike White could be a tad better in year two of Mike McDaniel's offense as well. I think with the new rules, Skylar Thompson either makes the practice squad or plays elsewhere. I don't see teams rostering three quarterbacks. The big question is whether Tua can, once again, get through the season without getting injured, and if he can he finish strong?

Offensive Line (Downgraded)
The surprise of the draft, was that Miami didn't upgrade the interior of the offensive line. Losing Robert Hunt and having Liam Eichenberg, Robert Davis, or Jack Driscoll as replacements is a downgrade. I'd say Hunt was a B+ and these guys are in the C- range, if we like it in terms of grades (again on paper). Getting Isaiah Wynn back could help. Drafting Patrick Paul is a nice long-term answer at LT. Miami likely will go as far as the offensive line takes them. Last year, this group was middle of the pack before injuries took their toll. Will that be good enough? Is there still a move to be made here?

Wide Receiver (Upgraded)
Adding Odell Beckham Jr. and drafting the two Washington's (Malik and Tahj) upgrades a unit that needed some talent behind Tyreek Hill and Jaylen Waddle. This is going to be fun to watch! I think Beckham still has enough juice.

Tight End (Upgraded)
Jonnu Smith gives Miami a legitimate receiving threat to pair with Durham Smythe. Jody Fortson, Julian Hill, Tanner Conner and Hayden Rucci battle for one or two spots.

Running Back (Upgraded)
The surprise pick of the draft, Jaylen Wright, almost looks like a clone of Raheem Mostert and he can block. That could mean playing time right away. After coming off a stellar rookie year, De'Von Achane looks bigger and stronger. The final spots figure to be a battle between Jeff Wilson, Salvon Ahmed and Chris Brooks.

Defensive Line (Downgraded)
Replacing Christian Wilkins is no easy task. Chris Grier pivoted pretty well with Teair Tart, Neville Gallimore and Benito Jones the key additions. I think it's a decent to good defensive line, but Wilkins will be missed.

Linebacker (Upgraded)
I really like what Grier did here. Last year, David Long Jr. turned out to be a really good addition for Miami. This year Grier added Shaquil Barrett, Quinton Bell, Jordyn Brooks (physical!), Cam Brown (ST), and Anthony Walker. In the draft, the Dolphins picked Chop Robinson and Mohamed Kamara.

Secondary (Same)
Kendall Fuller replacing Xavier Howard is probably an upgrade at this point in X's career. Jordan Poyer is a nice add at safety, although DeShon Elliott and Brandon Jones are both gone. I think Cam Smith will have a better chance to emerge in Weaver's defense as he was apparently in Fangio's doghouse. It was recently reported that Nik Needham could move to safety. I could definitely see a June add here.

Special Teams (Same)
This is a tough one to predict. Miami has some athletes who could really help in the return game and with the new kickoff rules. But the Dolphins coverage teams were up and down last year. Also, I am surprised the team didn't upgrade at punter.

Think the secondary is a downgrade.
Everything else I agree with you.

Are you saying this based on Poyer being injury prone and not having depth? If everyone is healthy the DBs are upgraded.

Id say linebackers are downgraded just for the simple fact you aren't getting Phillips and Chubb at 100% for some of the season. Depth upgraded but top end downgraded(at least initially). Otherwise I am with the OP.

I am not as concerned about our DL as other people. We don’t need to replace Wilkins’ production 1 for 1. We have depth we did not have last year that will allow for a respectable rotation. Sieler was arguably more consistent last year than Wilkins and I believe he is one of the most underrated IDL players in the NFL. Beyond that, Chubb, Phillips, Barrett, Robinson (and probably Kamara) are going to get snaps all over the defense.

I believe both the LB and DB group is improved this year as well. Fuller played significantly better than Howard did last year. Brooks, Long and Walker are 3 capable ILB starters and will probably see the field each game in different scenarios.

To me the overall “red flag” the team has this year is starters recovering from major injury. The roster is deeper this year than it was last year without a doubt.

Think the secondary is a downgrade.
Everything else I agree with you.
Really? X hasn't been good for a few years. I think Fuller will definitely be an upgrade. Poyer is the wildcard and probably a downgrade from Elliot but he's also a 1 year stop gap imo. We should get to see what Cam Smith can do and I wouldn't sleep on Bonner or Storm Duck making a push for the final 53

Are you saying this based on Poyer being injury prone and not having depth? If everyone is healthy the DBs are upgraded.

Id say linebackers are downgraded just for the simple fact you aren't getting Phillips and Chubb at 100% for some of the season. Depth upgraded but top end downgraded(at least initially). Otherwise I am with the OP.
How is Poyer injury-prone? Since signing with Buffalo, he missed 1 game last season, 4 in 2022, 1 in 2021, and 1 in 2017. Other 2022, that seems pretty good to me.

I am not as concerned about our DL as other people. We don’t need to replace Wilkins’ production 1 for 1. We have depth we did not have last year that will allow for a respectable rotation. Sieler was arguably more consistent last year than Wilkins and I believe he is one of the most underrated IDL players in the NFL. Beyond that, Chubb, Phillips, Barrett, Robinson (and probably Kamara) are going to get snaps all over the defense.

I believe both the LB and DB group is improved this year as well. Fuller played significantly better than Howard did last year. Brooks, Long and Walker are 3 capable ILB starters and will probably see the field each game in different scenarios.

To me the overall “red flag” the team has this year is starters recovering from major injury. The roster is deeper this year than it was last year without a doubt.
Nice write up! Totally agree on the D-Line. Baltimore and Weaver use their D-Lineman differently and idk why everyone still sleeps on Seiler. Dude is a beast! Also I would include the edges in my DL assessment since they don't drop in coverage that often. Either way it comes down to your red flag. Guys coming back from injury and not being snake bitten with injuries throughout and especially at the end of the season

Really? X hasn't been good for a few years. I think Fuller will definitely be an upgrade. Poyer is the wildcard and probably a downgrade from Elliot but he's also a 1 year stop gap imo. We should get to see what Cam Smith can do and I wouldn't sleep on Bonner or Storm Duck making a push for the final 53
I assume Mr Apple won't be back?

So, with the final phase of free agency looming, and a few moves still to be made (maybe), where does Miami stand talent-wise compared to last season? Here's my take.

Quarterback (Same)
Tua Tagovailoa still may have an uptick in his game, especially since we are hearing he has slimmed down, and he's always been someone who keeps working to get better. Mike White could be a tad better in year two of Mike McDaniel's offense as well. I think with the new rules, Skylar Thompson either makes the practice squad or plays elsewhere. I don't see teams rostering three quarterbacks. The big question is whether Tua can, once again, get through the season without getting injured, and if he can he finish strong?

Offensive Line (Downgraded)
The surprise of the draft, was that Miami didn't upgrade the interior of the offensive line. Losing Robert Hunt and having Liam Eichenberg, Robert Davis, or Jack Driscoll as replacements is a downgrade. I'd say Hunt was a B+ and these guys are in the C- range, if we like it in terms of grades (again on paper). Getting Isaiah Wynn back could help. Drafting Patrick Paul is a nice long-term answer at LT. Miami likely will go as far as the offensive line takes them. Last year, this group was middle of the pack before injuries took their toll. Will that be good enough? Is there still a move to be made here?

Wide Receiver (Upgraded)
Adding Odell Beckham Jr. and drafting the two Washington's (Malik and Tahj) upgrades a unit that needed some talent behind Tyreek Hill and Jaylen Waddle. This is going to be fun to watch! I think Beckham still has enough juice.

Tight End (Upgraded)
Jonnu Smith gives Miami a legitimate receiving threat to pair with Durham Smythe. Jody Fortson, Julian Hill, Tanner Conner and Hayden Rucci battle for one or two spots.

Running Back (Upgraded)
The surprise pick of the draft, Jaylen Wright, almost looks like a clone of Raheem Mostert and he can block. That could mean playing time right away. After coming off a stellar rookie year, De'Von Achane looks bigger and stronger. The final spots figure to be a battle between Jeff Wilson, Salvon Ahmed and Chris Brooks.

Defensive Line (Downgraded)
Replacing Christian Wilkins is no easy task. Chris Grier pivoted pretty well with Teair Tart, Neville Gallimore and Benito Jones the key additions. I think it's a decent to good defensive line, but Wilkins will be missed.

Linebacker (Upgraded)
I really like what Grier did here. Last year, David Long Jr. turned out to be a really good addition for Miami. This year Grier added Shaquil Barrett, Quinton Bell, Jordyn Brooks (physical!), Cam Brown (ST), and Anthony Walker. In the draft, the Dolphins picked Chop Robinson and Mohamed Kamara.

Secondary (Same)
Kendall Fuller replacing Xavier Howard is probably an upgrade at this point in X's career. Jordan Poyer is a nice add at safety, although DeShon Elliott and Brandon Jones are both gone. I think Cam Smith will have a better chance to emerge in Weaver's defense as he was apparently in Fangio's doghouse. It was recently reported that Nik Needham could move to safety. I could definitely see a June add here.

Special Teams (Same)
This is a tough one to predict. Miami has some athletes who could really help in the return game and with the new kickoff rules. But the Dolphins coverage teams were up and down last year. Also, I am surprised the team didn't upgrade at punter.
Thanks for the write up! Well written and thought out! I would say the D-Line could be the same based on how Baltimore uses their big boys. Also I'd say the Secondary will be better. I like Fuller, Poyer is the wild card and we got some interesting UDFAs in ⛈️🦆 and Perry plus Bonner and actually getting to see what Cam Smith can do. Finally props on the RB section. Like you said our newest Jaylen can really block, so he should see a lot of 3rd down work plus I think he can show that he might be the short yardage answer

Back
Top Bottom