Better or Worse? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Better or Worse?

Overall, I think our team is better.

We lost pieces on defense, but overall I feel the defense looks better. On paper!

Offensively, I feel it's 50/50.
WR'S- Wash. Washington can make this an upgrade, potentially. Miami already had the best WR room IMO. So a wash is not bad.
TE- Upgraded overall.
RB'S- Appears to have upgraded.
O- Line- Downgraded. 3 out of 5 starters returned. Our C is a downgrade. How much of a downgrade depends on who you speak to.
RG- Downgrade from Hunt to Eich or whoever starts, that is currently on the roster.

So overall, the team, on paper looks better to me.

I don't feel the Jets and Pats will be any competition.

Bills- Slight decrease.

This year Miami takes the East and doesn't look back

I still think our oline isn’t right and doesn’t seem to be as good as last year - so without that it’s still going to be hard to beat the better teams. Overall I’d say we are a slightly under where we were last year. Still time to add some pieces though

Last edited:
Overall, I think our team is better.

We lost pieces on defense, but overall I feel the defense looks better. On paper!

Offensively, I feel it's 50/50.
WR'S- Wash. Washington can make this an upgrade, potentially. Miami already had the best WR room IMO. So a wash is not bad.
TE- Upgraded overall.
RB'S- Appears to have upgraded.
O- Line- Downgraded. 3 out of 5 starters returned. Our C is a downgrade. How much of a downgrade depends on who you speak to.
RG- Downgrade from Hunt to Eich or whoever starts, that is currently on the roster.

So overall, the team, on paper looks better to me.

I don't feel the Jets and Pats will be any competition.

Bills- Slight decrease.

This year Miami takes the East and doesn't look back
If Rodgers remains healthy and plays at 80% the level he used to then the Jets will be our competition for AFC East.

I still think we our oline isn’t right and doesn’t seem to be as good as last year - so without that it’s still going to be hard to beat the better teams. Overall I’d say we are a slightly under where we were last year. Still time to add some pieces though

Agreed with the O line

The big concern is injuries of course. When healthy we know Jackson/Wynn and Armstead are solid to really good.
Eichenberg- Again, depends on how you speak with. He's either really good or the Anti Christ
Brewer- 11th overall C. Great run blocking, horrible pass blocking. Coyld be a fantastic fit for the scheme. Juries put.

Well see.

On defense, the FA losses have been mitigated, I actually see a better defensive backfield and LB group, the D-line lost a big name but added a few players both inside and out. Plus, the rotation approach should keep everyone fresher. When Phillips and Chubb return this will be a very strong front 7.
On offense, the WR, TE and RB rooms are even to slightly better, and the O-line has a huge question mark on the inside, Williams really made a difference last year, would rather see just about anyone than Eichenberg.
Jets are better, provided their QB is in for more than 3 plays this year
Pats are an unknown but they should but a little better
Bills lost a lot, Allen is better than when Diggs arrived but he will really need to carry that team now without his go-to

I still think we our oline isn’t right and doesn’t seem to be as good as last year - so without that it’s still going to be hard to beat the better teams. Overall I’d say we are a slightly under where we were last year. Still time to add some pieces though
This is how I feel, but definitely want to hear others opinions.

I think Miami will be better at linebacker and tight end. Downgraded (so far) at defensive tackle and probably the offensive line.

Maybe upgrades at running back and wide receiver.

There are wildcards on this roster, who could make a difference. Can Achane be better in year two? He looks like a potential superstar.

Can EZ stay healthy and challenge? How much will the draft class help? Paul could be huge if Armstead misses a lot of games etc.

The Jets probably upgraded the most in the AFC East. I feel Buffalo downgraded. Would like to hear from their fan base.

Maye could be really good, but New England has a long way to go.

Well let's break this down by position.

QB: Equal, no significant change
WR: Improved, hard to believe but I think this group is better
RB: Improved, youth was improved
TE: Improved, Smith is an upgrade on paper, nothing else is changed

OL: Incomplete, this is tricky because you need rookies and Free Agents to step up, I wanted to say equal but it is "unknown" so graded accordingly.

So with the O, improved on paper....,

The D is..........well, tricky...... I need some time to think on this. I want to lean toward improved to be honest I can also say incomplete.

Edge/OLB, as with the OL it will depend on a few younger guys, Chop and Phillips and Chubb's recovery from injury so = incomplete
CB is equal, I was in the camp that Howard needed to be gone two years ago or moved to slot. His lack of suiters tells you all you need to know.
SS = this probably equal also and it depends on the system that is installed.
LB = improved, Long and Brooks will be just fine in the middle.
DL = here it is, the elephant in the room, is Wilkins departure gonna be huge or is the money ball approach gonna look genius. IDK = incomplete.

If the line play improves or is equal on both sides of the ball, the team is improved. If the line play is worse on both sides, the team is going to be worse. Line play will be the key to the improved or worse aspect of this entire team, trenches for the win.

Last edited:
Well let's break this down by position.

QB: Equal, no significant change
WR: Improved, hard to believe but I think this group is better
RB: Improved, youth was improved
TE: Improved, Smith is an upgrade on paper, nothing else is changed

OL: Incomplete, this is tricky because you need rookies and Free Agents to step up, I wanted to say equal but it is "unknown" so graded accordingly.

So with the O, improved on paper.....,

The D is..........well, tricky...... I need some time to think on this. I want to lean toward improved to be honest but I can also say incomplete.

Edge/OLB, as with the OL it will depend on a few younger guys, Chop and Phillips and Chubb's recovery from injury so = incomplete
CB is equal, I was in the camp that Howard needed to be gone two years ago or moved to slot. His lack of suiters tells you all you need to know.
SS = this probably equal also and it depends on the system that is installed.
LB = improved, Long and Brooks will be just fine in the middle.
DL = here it is, the elephant in the room, is Wilkins departure gonna be huge or is the money ball approach gonna look genius. IDK = incomplete.

If the line play improves or is equal on both sides of the ball, the team is improved. If the line play is worse on both sides, the team is going to be worse. Line play will be the key to the improved or worse aspect of this entire team, trenches for the win.
Good post. Well thought out.

Miami wasn't going to replace Wilkins or Hunt with better players, (most likely )but I don't think they got close value in replacing either.

That said, I do think they could have better depth which is important.

Grier brought in a lot of players at DT and it doesn't look like a terrible grouping, especially with Seiler there. I assume Driscoll is the replacement for Hunt?

Armstead now has Paul backing him up, which should be an upgrade.

Lots of variables obviously.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with this. I think the roster is a tad worse from where we were. I pray the OL can hold up on the field and with injuries but I have my doubts.

The DL interior while having more guys I believe will be an issue. Wilkins brought intangibles not just play on the field.

I’m not a believer in the Jets even with Rodgers. They will be better but I don’t think they’re a playoff team.

Regardless of who Buffalo lost as long as Josh Allen is under center they’re going to be a problem. Until they are dethroned… the division goes through Buffalo.

I think we have better depth now.

3 areas of concern to me where we will probably be worse are

DT without Wilkins

RG without Hunt

C without Williams

TBD at this point. We haven't seen what the DC has planned on that side of the ball and how those on the roster last year will adapt and how the new guys will integrate with the team.

And offensively the team has a lot to prove as far as staying healthy and being able to adapt when teams take away a part of the game that normally works. Play calling is a big part of this as well and I hope to see some improvement in this area.

I am not ready to anoint the team as the best of the AFC East until we see what they do in pre-season. They still have not shown that they can overtake Buffalo so they need to get that chip off their shoulder.

Back
Top Bottom