Dolphins Want Bonuses in Tua Deal | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Want Bonuses in Tua Deal

Cousins is no cautionary tale. He's a "business of football" living legend. If/when Cousins plays out this Falcons contract he will have made $411.5M in his career. That's just a little less ($419M) than Aaron Rodgers will have made in his longer career by the time Rodgers' contract is over in 2029. Tom Brady made $317.6M in his career. Cousins was in the same draft class as Russell Wilson, who will have made $308.5M through the end of his current contract, and Ryan Tannehill, whose career may be over after having made $190M in his career.

Tua has plenty of leverage. He will get to unrestricted free agency if he wants to before the age of 30 and maybe even before he is 28.
If money is your goal... yes.

If continuity, being a part of a team, and actually winning means anything to you... at all, Cousins is disaster.

I was against drafting Tua... really dreaded his injury history and slight frame.

That said... he has impressed me with his intelligence and his hard work, and I'd like to keep him.

That said... again... I'd hate to see us just bend over and pay top 3 money because I just don't think he's top 3.

He's still fragile... and he doesn't create off-schedule throws. I like Tua, but he's no Dan... I'm not even sure that he is a Drew Brees... he's top 10, but would get killed on a bad team.

Leave some money on the table Tua...

I was against drafting Tua... really dreaded his injury history and slight frame.

That said... he has impressed me with his intelligence and his hard work, and I'd like to keep him.

That said... again... I'd hate to see us just bend over and pay top 3 money because I just don't think he's top 3.

He's still fragile... and he doesn't create off-schedule throws. I like Tua, but he's no Dan... I'm not even sure that he is a Drew Brees... he's top 10, but would get killed on a bad team.

Leave some money on the table Tua...

I would certainly pay him less (substantially) than Goff or I wouldn't pay him at all.

In reality, they'll both be paid too much because their salary will affect their surrounding cast which they both need.

Tua rarely creates.

I would certainly pay him less (substantially) than Goff or I wouldn't pay him at all.

In reality, they'll both be paid too much because their salary will affect their surrounding cast which they both need.

Tua rarely creates.
I'm higher on him than you are.

I'm not convinced that he needs to 'create'. He might be the quickest processor in the game. Give him even an average amount of time and he'll beat you.

Does this make him a 'system' QB? Maybe... but we have the mad scientist and the system with McD, and we have the architect in Grier.

Brees got better and better as he went along... learned to maximize his strengths and knew when to check down. I think this will come with Tua, but if he demands top money, I'm extremely tempted to go the route that Washington did with Cousins... milk it along, rather than make a 5 year commitment.

I'm not convinced that he needs to 'create'. He might be the quickest processor in the game. Give him even an average amount of time and he'll beat you.

Does this make him a 'system' QB? Maybe... but we have the mad scientist and the system with McD, and we have the architect in Grier.

Brees got better and better as he went along... learned to maximize his strengths and knew when to check down. I think this will come with Tua, but if he demands top money, I'm extremely tempted to go the route that Washington did with Cousins... milk it along, rather than make a 5 year commitment.

He is throwing to two of the quickest WR's in the game, I'm not sure how much I'd say is on processing......those are elite weapons.

If anything I'd say he often locks onto Tyreek, instead of 'processing' to the open man.

Those weapons cost money, which in turn comes back to the surrounding cast.

Last edited:
He is throwing to two of the quickest WR's in the game, I'm not sure how much I'd say is on processing......those are elite weapons.

If anything I'd say he often locks onto Tyreek, instead of 'processing' to the open man.

Those weapons cost money, which in turn comes back to the surrounding cast.
The system is built upon ultra quick processing and small fast receivers... when Hill is gone, there will be other small fast receivers... they are actually easier to obtain than true X WR types, I believe.
I think you are underestimating what Tua brings to THIS offense... and remember... I am not a Tua worshiper like some here.

The system is built upon ultra quick processing and small fast receivers... when Hill is gone, there will be other small fast receivers... they are actually easier to obtain than true X WR types, I believe.
I think you are underestimating what Tua brings to THIS offense... and remember... I am not a Tua worshiper like some here.
I hope you're right.

I believe they're easier to obtain because aside from freaks like Hill they're easier to defend, as is a shorter statured, relatively immobile QB.

If money is your goal... yes.

If continuity, being a part of a team, and actually winning means anything to you... at all, Cousins is disaster.

This is a thread about contract negotiations. It has been confirmed with 100% that Tua is not Kirk Cousins. Completely different human being.

Didn’t the route Washington took with Cousins result in a sub-.500 record while playing him top dollar on the franchise tag and then getting nothing for him before going through a bunch of non-winning seasons with veteran QBs that got injured, a failed first round QB and a few journeymen QBs?

It is my theory that is it more difficult to throw accurately to a Tyreek hill then a more traditional receiver in a timing based system like ours.

The measuring and gauging of the routes by the Qb by said receivers takes more talent to be acccurate then throwing to a Devante Parker let’s say.

It is my theory that is it more difficult to throw accurately to a Tyreek hill then a more traditional receiver in a timing based system like ours.

The measuring and gauging of the routes by the Qb by said receivers takes more talent to be acccurate then throwing to a Devante Parker let’s say.
Agreed. Tua's accuracy is his calling card. What he does requires intelligence and lots and lots of reps.

I think this is what too many 'bros' miss when they complain about Tua not doing enough 'off-platform'. He is the very best at 'on-platform' throws... and I think you tend to get one or the other with a QB.

Tua is a consummate pocket QB who has some mobility. I think he'll get better as he begins to check down more often. Currently, he is too aggressive when things break down... he's ALWAYS been too aggressive in these situations, and it led directly to his college injury.

Tua is a very quick, intelligent man who I believe lacks a veteran wisdom about when to give up on a designed play. If that wisdom comes, he'll be even better.

I

It is not harder to throw to faster receivers who get a lot of separation than it is to throw to slower ones that get little separation. That notion is asinine. If it were even a tiny bit true, teams would be falling all over themselves to get Devante Parkers and would have little interest in Tyreek. Needless to say, that is not the case.

Good receivers adjust to the ball. Tyreek, like all good receivers, does that well. He is not just running at some consistent top speed with no need to adjust. We have seen him adjust to ball, and even stop and come back to them, countless times.

The topic of measuring and gauging elite speed accurately in a timing based offense is much deeper and next level than separation, but it’s not worth my time to explain to someone with such a dense shallow response.

Last edited:
The topic of measuring and gauging elite speed accurately in a timing based offense is much deeper and next level than separation, but it’s not worth my time to explain to someone with such a dense shallow response.

When teams start favoring or prioritizing slow receivers over fast ones there might be a discussion to be had, but that hasn’t happened yet and there is no indication it will ever happen.

But I guess you probably think the Dolphins should move Patrick Paul to WR. He’s got decent speed for his size, but can you imagine how easy it would be to throw to him as a massive target moving very slowly (for a WR), right?

Back
Top Bottom