Post Draft Free Agent Signings | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Post Draft Free Agent Signings

I think we still absolutely need another safety. More insurance incase Poyer or Holland goes down. Or just to have a more viable 3rd safety to play with them

- Justin Simmons - likely the most costly, and would want to be a starter. Guessing he's not a realistic option

- Quandre Diggs - dont know a ton about him but I think he's average. Only 5' 9" though

- Jayron Kearse - the opposite of diggs, a 6' 4" safety is imposing size wise

- Eddie Jackson - he was pretty dang solid when he was a younger dude in the league, maybe he has something left in the tank?

- John Johnson - average? been around for awhile on a lot of teams

- Jamal Adams - is he more name than talent at this point? I feel like he's been hurt a lot lately too. Not positive

- Marcus Maye - decent back in the day... not sure if his play has fallen off or not

I think we still absolutely need another safety. More insurance incase Poyer or Holland goes down. Or just to have a more viable 3rd safety to play with them

- Justin Simmons - likely the most costly, and would want to be a starter. Guessing he's not a realistic option

- Quandre Diggs - dont know a ton about him but I think he's average. Only 5' 9" though

- Eddie Jackson - he was pretty dang solid when he was a younger dude in the league, maybe he has something left in the tank?

- Jamal Adams - is he more name than talent at this point? I feel like he's been hurt a lot lately too. Not positive

- Marcus Maye - decent back in the day... not sure if his play has fallen off or not
Diggs plays way bigger than his size. I love that dude and would welcome him with open arms.

The recollection of Eddie Jackson I cannot forget is when we played the Bears in 2018. Albert Wilson had two long TD catches that were both mostly YAC. On the one where he caught an underneath crosser and turned upfield on the right side, he had to weave and dodge several Bears on his way to the end zone. It sure looked like when Eddie saw little Albert coming, he just moved over toward the sideline, got out of Albert's way, and made no effort whatsoever to tackle him. I thought the effort was one of the most pathetic things I've ever seen.

Before the draft Jayron Kearse was in, I watched several of his games for Clemson. I never saw a safety who made so few plays. He just seemed to stay deep and took to heart that he could not let anyone get behind him. He never seemed to do anything impactful in the games I watched. His safety mate was a 2nd rounder the year Kearse was a 7th, as I recall, and he impressed me even less. But he ran fast while Kearse was more like mid 4.5s if I recall correctly. I was surprised he worked his way up to being the Cowboys' starter for a couple of years. Kudos to him for doing so and he even graded well for PFF in 2021 and 2022.

Jamal Adams has not played a full schedule since 2018, while Diggs has not missed a game since 2019.

Simmons is the best of the bunch, but IMO, Diggs is a close 2nd. Even if you decided to watch some Seattle games to see Brooks, you cannot help but notice Diggs. He flies around the field constantly

John Johnson could be next to Simmons too. He is still only 28, played 4 years for the Rams, 2 in Cleveland, and one back with the Rams. He has been pretty durable and shows consistent fairly low passer ratings into his coverage.

Last edited:
Diggs plays way bigger than his size. I love that dude and would welcome him with open arms.

The recollection of Eddie Jackson I cannot forget is when we played the Bears in 2018. Albert Wilson had two long TD catches that were both mostly YAC. On the one where he caught an underneath crosser and turned upfield on the right side, he had to weave and dodge several Bears on his way to the end zone. It sure looked like when Eddie saw little Albert coming, he just moved over toward the sideline, got out of Albert's way, and made no effort whatsoever to tackle him. I thought the effort was one of the most pathetic things I've ever seen.

Before the draft Jayron Kearse was in, I watched several of his games for Clemson. I never saw a safety who made so few plays. He just seemed to stay deep and took to heart that he could not let anyone get behind him. He never seemed to do anything impactful in the games I watched. His safety mate was a 2nd rounder the year Kearse was a 7th, as I recall, and he impressed me even less. But he ran fast while Kearse was more like mid 4.5s if I recall correctly. I was surprised he worked his way up to being the Cowboys' starter for a couple of years. Kudos to him for doing so and he even graded well for PFF in 2021 and 2022.

Jamal Adams has not played a full schedule since 2018, while Diggs has not missed a game since 2019.

Simmons is the best of the bunch, but IMO, Diggs is a close 2nd. Even if you decided to watch some Seattle games to see Brooks, you cannot help but notice Diggs. He flies around the field constantly

John Johnson could be next to Simmons too. He is still only 28, played 4 years for the Rams, 2 in Cleveland, and one back with the Rams. He has been pretty durable and shows consistent fairly low passer ratings into his coverage.
Thanks for the info on some of these guys!

Diggin Diggs for sure

Simmons might be too expensive, but I'd check on him first.

well here is the math regarding where things stand with the money, then a blurb on the guards as well. i do NOT agree at all with the assessment that Wynn "excelled" at left guard. he was merely good at pass blocking, but terrible at run blocking, in addition to getting hurt. there is a reason he could only fetch at sub $2mm deal this offseason:

▪ What should the Dolphins do with the $18.5 million in cap space that becomes available when Xavien Howard’s contract mostly comes off the book on June 1? That could leave Miami about about $20 million in space. Keep in mind that about $5 million of that must be allocated to sign the draft class. The Dolphins typically keep at least $6 million as a safety net in case they have a significant injury and need to add a player during training camp or the season. Another $3 million or so is needed to sign a practice squad. The remainder could be used on a player who would cost several million (hypothetically Campbell or Simmons), or simply carried over to next spring, when Miami faces another potential cap crunch. The Dolphins have just $3 million in 2025 cap space without Tua Tagovailoa or Jevon Holland even accounted for. A lot of space can be cleared out, but there is a case to be made for carrying the money over.

Is what’s on the street at right guard appreciably better than what’s under contract? Miami essentially has two options: 1). Allow Liam Eichenberg, Robert Jones and Jack Driscoll to compete for the starting right guard job, opposite projected left guard starter Isaiah Wynn. or 2). Sign Dalton Risner, Greg Van Wroten, Phil Haynes or another veteran guard who shakes free. A case could be made for Risner, who allowed no sacks and 30 pressures in 485 pass-blocking snaps for the Vikings last season. But all 745 of his snaps came at left guard last season. All of his snaps the past five years have come at left guard. So do you want to move him to a position he hasn’t played in years, and shift Wynn from a position (left guard) where he excelled last season? Conversely, Van Wroten played all 1,024 snaps at right guard last season and permitted five sacks and 21 pressures in 626 pass-blocking snaps. So he could step into the right guard competition. But is he substantially better than the internal options? Haynes, who started seven games for Seattle, visited Miami in March but never signed. He played 364 snaps at right guard and 73 at left guard last season, permitting five sacks and 12 pressures — high numbers for that limited snap volume. Eichenberg played 592 snaps at center, 146 at right guard and 77 at left guard. But here’s the key: He permitted no sacks and just four pressures in 146 snaps at right guard. He’s a competent right guard. Robert Jones allowed two sacks and nine pressures in 261 snaps at right guard last season. And Driscoll, in Philadelphia last season, played 130 snaps at right tackle and 35 at right guard. He permitted one pressure in his 35 right guard snaps. He allowed only one sack, and that was at tackle. Bottom line: There’s value in adding Risner and Van Wroten, especially because they have been competent NFL starters and because Wynn has had durability issues throughout his career. But none would automatically step in and be far better than what’s on the team. They might be better, but there’s hardly an assurance.

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/...y-jackson/article287816000.html#storylink=cpy

@circumstances arent you the scout on all the Johnson’s?

yes. great bill parcells quote. the best ability is availability! parcells would not have touched a bunch of guys on our roster. yes he wasn't perfect, before someone brings up chad henne and jake long over matt ryan. but parcells was legendary, both his coaching and gm skills. on balance he was very very good.

Kind of like C. Grier, don't you think? - LOL

BTW - Justin Simmons lives just north of West Palm Beach. He's into the community and lifestyle. My hairdresser is his neighbor. Would not surprise me if he has a preference to play for the Dolphins. You are correct, he wouldn't be cheap, but he's very good.

BTW - Justin Simmons lives just north of West Palm Beach. He's into the community and lifestyle. Would not surprise me if he has a preference to play for the Dolphins. You are correct, he wouldn't be cheap, but he's very good.

Could do a hometown discount

This is a referendum on what we competed with last season. One-fourth of the roster was so bad, they have yet to land contracts anywhere in the league for this season. It's almost amazing we did as well as we did.

Back
Top Bottom