RB Jaylen Wright | Page 27 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

RB Jaylen Wright

lol you believe this guy blocked me? college football aficianado couldnt handle a logical explanation for why jaylen wrights a better pick than any crap lineman available
Be glad, that was a terribly boring 10 pages to get through trying to catch up on things listening to him whine like a stuck pig like a scratched record stuck on the same whine. Yikes.

On to J. wright, great pick, had to move some of next years capital up to this year and Grier timed it perfectly, setting up the run on RB’s. Some posters think it’s redundant but we actually need a RB to be healthy and available down the stretch. We now have three guys with maybe Brooks sticking as a 4th. Ahmed and Wilson are done here IMO unless a PS spot in case of dire injuries.

That's some twisted logic right there. They used a fourth rounder they never had in the first place. They exchanged one pick for another. They didn't use two picks like you are implying.
Umm no… they gave away a 3rd to acquire the 4th… anyway you slice it… that’s 2 picks bc we had to use one to acquire the other.

They didn’t swap one out for the other. They had to use one to buy the other. 2 picks anyway you look at it.

Umm no… they gave away a 3rd to acquire the 4th… anyway you slice it… that’s 2 picks bc we had to use one to acquire the other.

They didn’t swap one out for the other. They had to use one to buy the other. 2 picks anyway you look at it.
I've never seen someone be so confident while being so obviously wrong. Nobody on the planet would look at it like that. They got rid of 1 pick and acquired 1 pick. That's a swap.

Sorry but you are literally the only person on here that would look at it as 2 picks.

I get what you are saying and I see your opinion is that the RB position isnt a position that should be drafted early...but I disagree with your analysis of the RB position. You don't easily find RW, Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith and the like in the 7th round. You don't have to spend a 1 necessarily to get a top RB nowadays but you shouldn't wait for the end or UDFA to find one either if you are looking for more than just depth. If you hit on one that's special that late, great but your odds are significantly reduced. It's like saying why draft QBs early when you can find a Tom Brady in the 6th.

Now, if you mean that the league has turned into a passing league and so RBs aren't what they used to be ...perhaps but only to an extent.

Certain people value certain positions more highly than others.
Very good and fair write up. Obviously expecting any rookie tailback to turn into any of the guys you mentioned would be placing a mountain of unfair expectations on a kid. So no I’m not expecting that.

Trading a future 3rd to acquire a 4th and use it on a tailback is a misuse of resources. Hear me out bc this is my logic…

Mike is our HC. Where did he come from? SF… who did he learn under? Kyle Shanahan whose father is Mike Shanahan. Mike Shanahan is notoriously known for being able to find late round backs and turn them into 1000 yard guys.

Terrell Davis… Tatum Bell… Clinton Portis and the list goes on and on. Mike Shanahan used late round picks on tailbacks yet constantly got them to produce. My point is… our HC learned under the Shanahans for years. Shouldn’t we be able to find backs that fit the system without giving away draft capital to do it?

Mike Shanahan legit could plug guys off the street into his systems and get them to produce over 1000 scrimmage yards. Maybe I’m expecting to much of Mike. I suppose I just suspected that some of that Shanahan stuff rubbed off on Mike in being able to identify guys that he can plug in for very little resources and get them to produce. Much like he has with Mostert. Having Mostert produce the way he has guided me to believing our Mike could do the same as the Shanahans… find a guy nobody else looks out bring him in plug him in and watch him work.

I just detest spending any amount of resources on tailbacks bc honestly the majority last what 3/4/5 years and then you have to find a new one. That’s my point. We have traded away a pick for Jeff Wilson. Used a 3rd round pick on Achane and now we have sent a future 3rd for a 4th that we used on… you guessed it… another tailback.

I just don’t see that as a good use of resources especially when you have a massive hole on your OL. What’s a tailback need to succeed? An OL that’s at the very least competent. Maybe some of the guys here are correct that our OL coaching has gotten better and will continue to improve which obviously I hope is the case.

Skill talent is great and fun to watch but you win playoff games by winning in the trenches on both sides of the ball. We have watched our best DL walk as well as Robert Hunt and Connor Williams. That’s a ton to lose on the LOS that weren’t elite to begin with. We’ve replaced quality with quantity so we’ll see if that theory works out. For our sake… I hope it does.

So you would be ok with them using that pick next year on a RB? Keep in mind, by them using the pick this year gives him a year to learn the system which is supposed to be complicated to learn. So if you're ok with them using a 3rd next year on a RB, then consider him next years 3rd rd RB with a years experience in the system.
No I wouldn’t be ok.

I’ll admit that I wanted Achane last year and you can check my post history to see that I lobbied hard for him before the draft bc I thought he would be dynamite and fit our system to a T which he has proven to do.

But that’s using one pick on a back which I still don’t love bc it was a 3rd which to me is a premium pick but I get taking a swing on one.

Since Mike took over we have traded a pick for Jeff Wilson… used a 3rd on Achane and now traded away a future 3rd (premium pick) to acquire a 4th and use it on another tailback.

A misuse of resources to me but again… they make the decisions and we have to live with the results whether good or bad.

I've never seen someone be so confident while being so obviously wrong. Nobody on the planet would look at it like that. They got rid of 1 pick and acquired 1 pick. That's a swap.

Sorry but you are literally the only person on here that would look at it as 2 picks.
Fair enough but that’s how I see it.

You don’t make much sense other than you would like more guards which we all got 20 pages ago. It was one pick bro, a 4th this year instead of a 3rd next year. 1 player. 2 picks is 2 players.

We had 6 picks this year and 10-11 next year depending on final comp picks. We had three 3rd round picks next year where we traded one of them to acquire the 4th round pick we used on Wright. That helps balance the classes (10-11 draft picks next year are not all likely to even make the team) and it got us a much needed RB playmaker now which we sorely need. Counting on Mostert is silly despite getting his best year last year at age 31. Achane is great but can’t carry the load by himself. The rest of our RB’s are JAGs at best. This offense thrives with 2 stud RBs healthy but at least needs one and this move was to help ensure that for next season.

Great pick, well timed before the RB run started, and great use of surplus capital next year to bolster a weak number of picks this year.

Nothing to complain about but you’ve certainly done your best trying.

You don’t make much sense other than you would like more guards which we all got 20 pages ago. It was one pick bro, a 4th this year instead of a 3rd next year. 1 player. 2 picks is 2 players.

We had 6 picks this year and 10-11 next year depending on final comp picks. We had three 3rd round picks next year where we traded one of them to acquire the 4th round pick we used on Wright. That helps balance the classes (10-11 draft picks next year are not all likely to even make the team) and it got us a much needed RB playmaker now which we sorely need. Counting on Mostert is silly despite getting his best year last year at age 31. Achane is great but can’t carry the load by himself. The rest of our RB’s are JAGs at best. This offense thrives with 2 stud RBs healthy but at least needs one and this move was to help ensure that for next season.

Great pick, well timed before the RB run started, and great use of surplus capital next year to bolster a weak number of picks this year.

Nothing to complain about but you’ve certainly done your best trying.
Look at it like this… if we don’t trade that pick next year and stay with our 5th… we get a player in the 5th round… where the run on OL didn’t start until then and we keep our 3rd next year (premium pick) and add another player to what we already have.

2 picks… 2 players.

Also no need to throw shots bro. It’s just a debate. You haven’t spoken to me and I haven’t disrespected you so no need to do it to me. If you disagree then cool… say you disagree and tell us why and I’ll respond in kind.

No I wouldn’t be ok.

I’ll admit that I wanted Achane last year and you can check my post history to see that I lobbied hard for him before the draft bc I thought he would be dynamite and fit our system to a T which he has proven to do.

But that’s using one pick on a back which I still don’t love bc it was a 3rd which to me is a premium pick but I get taking a swing on one.

Since Mike took over we have traded a pick for Jeff Wilson… used a 3rd on Achane and now traded away a future 3rd (premium pick) to acquire a 4th and use it on another tailback.

A misuse of resources to me but again… they make the decisions and we have to live with the results whether good or bad.
I understand but I don't see it as a misuse. I don't see Wilson making the team this year and if so it will be limited duty and his last year. Also Mostert is over 30 and will most likely see his role reduced next year as well. This is McDaniel getting a player he wanted and getting him now instead of waiting til next year. He was also ranked as the 2nd best RB on a lot of RB draft rankings.

You’ve got to be fu*king kidding me. It’s one pick. They exchanged picks. Nothing more. The pick was just used this year instead of next year. How do you not get that?

Look at it like this… if we don’t trade that pick next year and stay with our 5th… we get a player in the 5th round… where the run on OL didn’t start until then and we keep our 3rd next year (premium pick) and add another player to what we already have.

2 picks… 2 players.

Also no need to throw shots bro. It’s just a debate. You haven’t spoken to me and I haven’t disrespected you so no need to do it to me. If you disagree then cool… say you disagree and tell us why and I’ll respond in kind.
What are you even talking about? What does Miami’s 5th round pick have to do with anything? No other picks were involved. Miami exchanged a 3rd round pick next year for a 4th round pick this year. They picked ONE player. If they would have kept the 3rd round pick for next year they would have used it to pick ONE player. It’s pretty simple math.

What are you even talking about? What does Miami’s 5th round pick have to do with anything? No other picks were involved. Miami exchanged a 3rd round pick next year for a 4th round pick this year. They picked ONE player. If they would have kept the 3rd round pick for next year they would have used it to pick ONE player. It’s pretty simple math.
I’m not going to respond further bc obviously you don’t want to see it the way I said it.

So fair enough. I’m tired of arguing about it.

Very good and fair write up. Obviously expecting any rookie tailback to turn into any of the guys you mentioned would be placing a mountain of unfair expectations on a kid. So no I’m not expecting that.

Trading a future 3rd to acquire a 4th and use it on a tailback is a misuse of resources. Hear me out bc this is my logic…

Mike is our HC. Where did he come from? SF… who did he learn under? Kyle Shanahan whose father is Mike Shanahan. Mike Shanahan is notoriously known for being able to find late round backs and turn them into 1000 yard guys.

Terrell Davis… Tatum Bell… Clinton Portis and the list goes on and on. Mike Shanahan used late round picks on tailbacks yet constantly got them to produce. My point is… our HC learned under the Shanahans for years. Shouldn’t we be able to find backs that fit the system without giving away draft capital to do it?

Mike Shanahan legit could plug guys off the street into his systems and get them to produce over 1000 scrimmage yards. Maybe I’m expecting to much of Mike. I suppose I just suspected that some of that Shanahan stuff rubbed off on Mike in being able to identify guys that he can plug in for very little resources and get them to produce. Much like he has with Mostert. Having Mostert produce the way he has guided me to believing our Mike could do the same as the Shanahans… find a guy nobody else looks out bring him in plug him in and watch him work.

I just detest spending any amount of resources on tailbacks bc honestly the majority last what 3/4/5 years and then you have to find a new one. That’s my point. We have traded away a pick for Jeff Wilson. Used a 3rd round pick on Achane and now we have sent a future 3rd for a 4th that we used on… you guessed it… another tailback.

I just don’t see that as a good use of resources especially when you have a massive hole on your OL. What’s a tailback need to succeed? An OL that’s at the very least competent. Maybe some of the guys here are correct that our OL coaching has gotten better and will continue to improve which obviously I hope is the case.

Skill talent is great and fun to watch but you win playoff games by winning in the trenches on both sides of the ball. We have watched our best DL walk as well as Robert Hunt and Connor Williams. That’s a ton to lose on the LOS that weren’t elite to begin with. We’ve replaced quality with quantity so we’ll see if that theory works out. For our sake… I hope it does.

I got you...remember though...although Davis was a 6th...Portis and Tatum were 2nd rounders...I just think it depends on the player and if the team thinks it's worth it vs the players left on the board at other spots...

You never know with rookies...none of the greats were guaranteed to be great until they were...for every Eric Dickerson there's a ton of Blair Thomas's...

I got you...remember though...although Davis was a 6th...Portis and Tatum were 2nd rounders...I just think it depends on the player and if the team thinks it's worth it vs the players left on the board at other spots...

You never know with rookies...none of the greats were guaranteed to be great until they were...for every Eric Dickerson there's a ton of Blair Thomas's...
Yes I remember that Bell and Portis were 2nd round picks BUT you also have to take into consideration that football played back then was a lot different than football played now.

Tailbacks were often drafted in round 1 and quite a few were top 5 picks. A franchise tailback was the “it” thing to have back then. Tailbacks were valued at a much higher clip back then than what they are now.

So what I’m saying is yes while they were 2nd rounders… that was considered later (not late) to draft a back. So the era does have to be considered IMO.

Yeah, Kyle Shanahan would never trade premium resources for a RB . . . Wait. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom