Votes: 17 21.3%
  • Ingold

Votes: 19 23.8%

• Total voters

Carne Asada

there be no distractions for our team
Club Member
Reaction score
Since before the draft I had a thread about how a 1st rd WR would change our offensive scheme. Now we didn't get one but we got the Washingtons and OBJ which for the purpose is the same thing.

Will we be playing out of 11 more often?

Ingold
OhBJ
Smythe

There I said it.
I see you like your "fullbacks" and cannot lie.
Question Date GIF

OBJ by a landslide. OBJ is going to play nearly as many snaps as Tyreek and Waddle. We rotate our WRs a lot.

Hill only played 63% of snaps last season, and 55% for Waddle. Let’s assume better health for both this year — they’re probably playing about 70% of snaps each. That leaves 60% of snaps for our WR3 even if we never play a single three-WR set.

Smythe and Ingold will be lucky to hit 40%.

It comes down to whether Smythe retains the #1 TE position. The last two seasons (among the positions from that list) the #1 TE got the most snaps, followed by the #3 WR , then the #1 FB. But the #2 TE would be the bottom of the list. If Smythe is the #1 TE then that order probably remains. If Jonnu Smith beats him out then Smythe drops to the bottom.

IMO we should be hoping that Smith is an upgrade at TE. If he is a good enough blocker then being able to motion him between an inline blocker and #3 receiver option would make our offense tougher to set an alignment against. I also think our offense would be more variable, more unpredictable if Ingold took on more snaps through a combination of FB/H-back while Smythe became TE #3. Thirdly, it would be great if OBJ and Malik were effective enough that our 3 and 4 WR sets were used more. There are more combinations I could think of that furher skew/change this year's snap count disbursment. Some of those include Smythe, but ideally we'd add a few that don't. (We simply didn't have many players that were a better option the last two seasons).

So bottom-line my guess would be Smythe. He improved greatly from two years ago to last season. He may still be the best all-around TE. But I'm hoping the additions and development of our other higher ceiling players upgraded our talent to the point that Smythe is relied on less.

OBJ by a landslide. OBJ is going to play nearly as many snaps as Tyreek and Waddle. We rotate our WRs a lot.

Hill only played 63% of snaps last season, and 55% for Waddle. Let’s assume better health for both this year — they’re probably playing about 70% of snaps each. That leaves 60% of snaps for our WR3 even if we never play a single three-WR set.

Smythe and Ingold will be lucky to hit 40%.
One of the tougher stats to decipher is snap count vs snap share. A lot of sites only show snap share which amounts to the number of snaps said player had on offense divided by the total number of offensive plays ran for the season. Snap share is only a relevant number if a player was healthy and available for every game.

If Hill and Waddle (in particular) stay healthy their snap count will be higher week to week which means a higher snap share at the end of the season.

There was actually a post earlier this week about player snap count and it was using snap share numbers. Not super relevant when all your starters are hurt and miss time.

It comes down to whether Smythe retains the #1 TE position. The last two seasons (among the positions from that list) the #1 TE got the most snaps, followed by the #3 WR , then the #1 FB. But the #2 TE would be the bottom of the list. If Smythe is the #1 TE then that order probably remains. If Jonnu Smith beats him out then Smythe drops to the bottom.

IMO we should be hoping that Smith is an upgrade at TE. If he is a good enough blocker then being able to motion him between an inline blocker and #3 receiver option would make our offense tougher to set an alignment against. I also think our offense would be more variable, more unpredictable if Ingold took on more snaps through a combination of FB/H-back while Smythe became TE #3. Thirdly, it would be great if OBJ and Malik were effective enough that our 3 and 4 WR sets were used more. There are more combinations I could think of that furher skew/change this year's snap count disbursment. Some of those include Smythe, but ideally we'd add a few that don't. (We simply didn't have many players that were a better option the last two seasons).

So bottom-line my guess would be Smythe. He improved greatly from two years ago to last season. He may still be the best all-around TE. But I'm hoping the additions and development of our other higher ceiling players upgraded our talent to the point that Smythe is relied on less.
In 2022, Smythe got 598 and Gesicki 505. Last season, Smythe got 839 and Julian Hill 360. I'd guess the balance between Smythe and Smith is going to resemble 2022 where both had snaps in the 500-600 range.

Here I assume Smith will be the #1 TE, why would we pay him twice as much as we do Smythe otherwise.

It was meant to be an indicator of whether we'll play more 3 wide, double TEs or I-ish formations.

I wasn't accounting for rotation or injury.

I just really wanna know whether we'll be more like the Rams or more like we have been this last two seasons.

Back
Top Bottom