The Guard Position | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Guard Position

Kion might be the "wildcard" in this whole thing. Armstead took an instant liking to the kid, acting as a mentor type.

Not sure about his viability at guard, but maybe.
I think all the pre draft stuff I saw projected him transitioning from Tackle to Guard. That's why they had him working at LG and RG pre-draft.

I think it's 50/50.

This comes down to cost and fit, with fit being the most important. Our entire running game concept is zone, and zone REQUIRES better feet than most Guards possess.

This scheme works best with ex-college Tackles in the Guard spots, lifetime Guards GENERALLY don't have enough lateral mobility to get to the second level. Hell... that is WHY they are guards- cement feet.

Hines was thought to be power gap, Cotton is power-gap, Jones, I fear... is also a power-gap blocker, and this IS WHY our running game stalled out last year. Slow feet inside.

Driscoll, Wynn, and Eichenberg match what we are doing.... if we can spin the three into two starters and a backup for both, I think we'll be fine...

But it doesn't hurt to look.
That is a plan and Eichenberg looked like he had begun to turn the coroner in his last two games last year.

Now that the draft is over, my biggest concern is at guard. The projected starters are Wynn and Eichenberg. That's not a comfortable feeling.

I'm not disappointed in the draft, as Grier was looking for the future while balancing the need for edge rushers, but would have like to add a quality guard.

Others on the roster include Cotton, Driscoll (added as a free agent), Hayes (a later rounder last year), Hines, and Robert Jones. There were a few added as UDFA as well.

Do we think Grier signs another offensive linemen, or hopes some young players step up?
I think the front office has a deal in place with one already, waiting on that June 1st money.

That is a plan and Eichenberg looked like he had begun to turn the coroner in his last two games last year.
Turn the coroner?

As in change the sexual orientation of a forensic doctor?

That's a very odd take on the situation.......

I expect that Jack Driscoll is a better free agent acquisition than many of you realize. His experience with the Philadelphia Eagles (4th round Draft pick from Auburn in 2020) behind some stud O-linemen is there for all to see. He played 54 games in Philadelphia (17 as a starter) He's 27 years 34 days old, 6'5" and 310 lbs plays tackle and guard.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom