OBJ To Sign With Phins From Ian Rappaport | Page 34 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

OBJ To Sign With Phins From Ian Rappaport

Boyd had 2x the receptions, and was a much more efficient receiver as well (balls caught pct balls thrown to him), why do you think the obj of today is a way better player?

50/50 balls are not a good thing. The goal is and should be to have as few of them as possible. As much as one might try to do that there will always be some, but bigger guys aren't necessarily better at it and nobody consistently catches much more than 50% anyhow. Among WRs with more than 45 targets last year, only two caught more than 61.5% of their contested catch opportunities. One of those two was 5-8, 185 Wan'Dale Robinson. The 6th best contested catch rate (60%) was 5-8, 165 Tank Dell.

That's fair...

Big guys that win contested balls do have value... But you have to keep in mind that if your bread and butter is contested catches, it implies you're not getting open alot.. Common sense.

Big arms with accuracy problems benifit from these guys alot. For obvious reasons...

Exactly. Theres being open and then there's bullying the DB to make the catch. Now you can argue that smaller guys can get jammed up in bump n run where bigger guys can out muscle the DB but as a coach you need to be creative with your sets to make it difficult for the defense if that's the case. Very few people have both speed and size...having bigger wrs might make more sense if you are inside the 10 and your spacing for the smaller guys isn't as great for them to separate but I would rather be creative than let go of a good speedy guy for a bigger cant get open normally guy just for those situations because you'll be telegraphing where your going the moment you bring the bigger guy in and just creating more headaches.

Boyd had 2x the receptions, and was a much more efficient receiver as well (balls caught pct balls thrown to him), why do you think the obj of today is a way better player?
Obj averaged more yards of separation per route run which is the type of receiver we are looking for, he's a much better fit for the offense we run. Also Boyd had 100 more yards last year on 34 more targets than odell. He averaged 6.8 yards per target and odell averaged 8.83 yards per target last year. Odell also had 1 more TD on 34 less targets. Fair to say odell made a much bigger impact on his targets than Boyd did.

Obj averaged more yards of separation per route run which is the type of receiver we are looking for, he's a much better fit for the offense we run. Also Boyd had 100 more yards last year on 34 more targets than odell. He averaged 6.8 yards per target and odell averaged 8.83 yards per target last year. Odell also had 1 more TD on 34 less targets. Fair to say odell made a much bigger impact on his targets than Boyd did.
Also, He got signed sooner and paid more, two more indications of which player has more value

If we couldn’t come to terms with OBJ, I would have been totally cool with Boyd on that contract.

Titans WR corps is looking worlds better for 2024 - Ridley, Boyd, Hopkins is a solid top-3 for Levis.

OBJ only had one drop the entire year
thanks. i didn't mean drops i meant catches as a % of balls thrown to him. i think obj had 35 catches, but something like 70 balls thrown to him, if i remember correctly. that seems very inefficient. i could be remembering incorrectly though. the offset as another poster pointed out is that OBJ yards per catch were a fair bit higher than boyd's.

thanks. i didn't mean drops i meant catches as a % of balls thrown to him. i think obj had 35 catches, but something like 70 balls thrown to him, if i remember correctly. that seems very inefficient. i could be remembering incorrectly though. the offset as another poster pointed out is that OBJ yards per catch were a fair bit higher than boyd's.
If those stats are correct, all while the receiver having 1 drop, it appears the inefficiency is coming from the QB, no?

If those stats are correct, all while the receiver having 1 drop, it appears the inefficiency is coming from the QB, no?
could be. hard to know in my view. could look at the same ratios for other ravens WRs for starters i guess. then the question is also how the ravens were using him. also did the ravens not want to continue w OBJ, or did OBJ not want to be there because he thinks lamar is a mediocre thrower that didn't make him look great? i have no idea. end of day my guess is the dolphins think OBJ was poorly utilized in baltimore, and they felt he still has something and will be a better and more productive fit in our offense. we will get to find out, hope they are right!

WR's are often drafted late and still able to make the team and contribute. It is probably the one position where high-end talent can be found late. For example, Stefon Diggs was a 5th rounder, and Gabe Davis was a 4th. There are many others. More than I care to take the time to list.
There are a few but likely not happening with this roster. We are loaded

Want to know why you avoid void years?

OBJ signed a 1 year contract with Baltimore that had 4 void years on it allowing Baltimore to prorate his signing bonus over 5 years instead of one. In an effort to clean up the mess they had made as all that cap hit would come immediately end of contract, they worked (and by worked, OBJ gave them a break) on extending him in January in an effort to fix the damage they had caused, not to keep him. They then released OBJ on a Post June designation to spread out the damage done.

They will be sitting on 11mm in dead cap over the next 2 years because of the fallacy of signing a one year contract with 4 void years. This is the exact reason these contracts cannot happen unless in very very very specific situations.

Back
Top Bottom