Official Draft Day Thread | Page 97 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Official Draft Day Thread

I wanted Barton once Fautanu was selected by the Dolphins. I think he could have come in and become a starter at offensive guard immediately.

I just don’t see Robinson as a starter for the Dolphins once Chubb and Phillips are healthy. Drafting a back up player in the first round just doesn’t make sense to me.
I wanted Barton too, but my comp for Chop is Von Miller. I expect he'll be a rotational player immediately, and possibly the starter that replaces Chubb next year.

Hi. A Dolphins fan in England here, with a question about the draft.

A lot of you are criticising Grier for selecting Robinson in the draft, rather than an offensive lineman. I understand that Grier is director of player personnel. But doesn't the head coach have a say in who is selected? Doesn't the coach tell Grier 'I want a tackle' or 'I want a pass rusher'? To what extent does Grier listen to the coaches?

I

A lot of you are criticising Grier for selecting Robinson in the draft, rather than an offensive lineman. I understand that Grier is director of player personnel. But doesn't the head coach have a say in who is selected? Doesn't the coach tell Grier 'I want a tackle' or 'I want a pass rusher'? To what extent does Grier listen to the coaches?

In theory it's the GM's decision, but in most cases there's a lot of collaboration going on (or should be) although there have been many notable examples of coaches and GM's who are at odds with each other. Grier has spoken before about how it's a collaborative process and he takes the coaches ideas on board.

This was many months in the works and built off input by the entire staff, there are just so many variables involved in evaluating these young men that it has to be a collaborative effort. Sure Grier punches the ticket in the end, but everyone was involved even to the last second on the clock. Now, my opinion doesn't mean "Squat", but I honestly believe we took the best available player, not only that, we took a player that will start day one and have massive game impact. That is what we need in these first round picks, Waddle and Minkah are the only two recent first rounders that I can say the same about in the past 15 years. Oh, Pouncey was a great pick also.

Chris Grier:

(To that point you had mentioned that Defensive Coordinator Anthony Weaver had brought visuals to you about some of the players you guys added in free agency. I was curious his involvement in this process and kind of how he brought his interest in LB Chop Robinson to you guys?) –
“It’s been very collaborative and you’ve always heard us talk about it; that’s important because you can’t just have whether it’s just scouts or just coaches saying, ‘This is our guy.’ It’s working together, working through it, whether you see players the same or differently. And for us the collaboration, working through it with not just (Anthony) Weaver but Ryan Crow, the outside linebackers coach, was fantastic and the whole defensive staff as well as the scouts. So we meet individually, we meet as groups, and so we spend a lot of time working through it because it’s an important pick for us. So it was cool working with ‘Weav’ (Anthony Weaver) and the guys and the new guys here and seeing the work ethic. We were presented a packet the other day on Chop which was fantastic that (Ryan) Crow put together for us. So it was very collaborative and it was exciting and really enjoyed it.”

This was many months in the works and built off input by the entire staff, there are just so many variables involved in evaluating these young men that it has to be a collaborative effort. Sure Grier punches the ticket in the end, but everyone was involved even to the last second on the clock. Now, my opinion doesn't mean "Squat", but I honestly believe we took the best available player, not only that, we took a player that will start day one and have massive game impact. That is what we need in these first round picks, Waddle and Minkah are the only two recent first rounders that I can say the same about in the past 15 years. Oh, Pouncey was a great pick also.
Jake long sir

After the intial shock of not getting oline I’m warming up to the Chopper. No more running Melvin Ingraham and JPJ out there for a few plays
Remember this name @ 55, Dwayne Johnson, scouts are calling the final boss.

Back
Top Bottom