#1 pick think it through | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

#1 pick think it through

afishfan

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
WE KNOW Atlanta has to have Matt Ryan pegged as their guy (this has become more apparent with the Turner signing)...because they have been through a media nightmare with the resignation of Petrino and the Vick episode - they HAVE to have something to sell to the fans. A franchise QB does that instantly. All Miami needs is interest from ONE other team - doesnt matter who it is. If Atlanta thought there is even a chance we might take him or trade the pick (and I doubt think there is any doubt on either point) they have to trade up for him. We could do just what San Diego did for crying out loud - call their bluff. OK we have your guy we picked him....now come get him....seems to me that trade worked out pretty good for NY.

I really believe in the end Atlanta picks first and we end up with Vernon Gholston (perhaps Chris Long - but I think Gholston) and a 2nd and 4th or a 2nd and a second next year or DeAngelo Hall...something of this nature.

This trade allows us to address our three biggest needs essentially before the first round is over. OLB (passrush) LT (or RT as the case may be) and CB. Those positions along with QB are considered the most important on the field.

Jake Long is NOT going to be our pick. He was owned two years in a row by Vernon Gholston (3 sacks last year). There are several other tackle prospect in the draft as well, and I'm not so sure Jake Long is even an NFL LEFT tackle. He doesn't have good feet (he does however have relatively long arms and big hands).

Quarterback is the only position that is worthy of first pick money. Plus, Parcells puts a premium on the edge pass rusher...and he has picked one AS HIGH AS HE CAN at EVERY stop he has been at. Willie McGinist, John Abraham, and DeMarcus Ware. The pick is CHRIS Long or Vernon Gholston PERIOD. It ALWAYS WAS. I'll be happy with either one - they are both going to be special. personally I think the pick will be Gholston - though Grohs first hand knowledge of Long will be hard for Parcells to overcome. In the end its either the safe bet (Chris Long) cause he can't bust. or the potential of Gholston (which is to be one of the top 3 players off the edge in the league)

Can you imagine if we had Gholston, Taylor, Porter, Will Allen, DeAngelo Hall (or Cromartie etc), along with the size we already have up front and perhaps Eugene Wilson (though some combo of Hill, Bell, and Allen will be ok). I'm sorry, our defense is already going to be pretty formidable. That is at least a top 15 unit that will create turnovers. With no glaring holes.

On offense, the line is already better than it was last year as long as the tackle spot is addressed (which it will be). Our receivers are already better (Wilfork and Ginn are a great compliment). Im sure TE will be adressed somehow. Ronnie or Ricky are two pretty damn good options (hopefully one of them can stay healthy/recover). With this offense around him and an emphasis on running the ball (Wilfork signing indicates this) - I love his pickup cause he is a red zone threat as well as a good blocker). Beck should have a decent surrounding cast.

Special teams have been upgraded. This team wound have as much depth as Parcells would like, and it needs another year of roster turnover. But it is possible if this team stays healthy and comes together, that we could have a pretty good season. I would certainly prefer the young talent we have or will have over quite a few teams (the Jets and Bills for instance).

Go with Long, you can't go wrong!

Jake#1 choice
Chris#2 choice

I'd be happy with eitther!

Jake#1 choice
Chris#2 choice

LOL.. I just made a pretty valid argument WHY Jake Long will not even be considered. If we can land an edge pass rusher- that will be the first option. Parcells believes it to be the most important position on the field (besides QB) and he has proved it again and again. It is the hardest position to fill with a truly ELITE player (you typically have to find them at the very top of the draft) - cause it is the one position where the measurables really DO matter. Offensive line is more technique, and is more cerebral and learned (did you hear about Flozell Adams really before last year???) He was considered to be not that great earlier in his career, and Although he was a first rounder i think - it wasn't early.

Bottom line - the rare athletes rush the passer. (amongst the bigs usually the defensive lineman are more athletic than offensive lineman) therefore - it's easier to find the Offensive lineman AND it is a position that can be learned - the speed and size cannot. FORGET about Jake Long - it will NEVER happen (unless we somehow traded lower than 3 and missed out on Gholston and Chris Long).

WE KNOW Atlanta has to have Matt Ryan pegged as their guy (this has become more apparent with the Turner signing)...because they have been through a media nightmare with the resignation of Petrino and the Vick episode - they HAVE to have something to sell to the fans. A franchise QB does that instantly. All Miami needs is interest from ONE other team - doesnt matter who it is. If Atlanta thought there is even a chance we might take him or trade the pick (and I doubt think there is any doubt on either point) they have to trade up for him. We could do just what San Diego did for crying out loud - call their bluff. OK we have your guy we picked him....now come get him....seems to me that trade worked out pretty good for NY.

I really believe in the end Atlanta picks first and we end up with Vernon Gholston (perhaps Chris Long - but I think Gholston) and a 2nd and 4th or a 2nd and a second next year or DeAngelo Hall...something of this nature.

This trade allows us to address our three biggest needs essentially before the first round is over. OLB (passrush) LT (or RT as the case may be) and CB. Those positions along with QB are considered the most important on the field.

Jake Long is NOT going to be our pick. He was owned two years in a row by Vernon Gholston (3 sacks last year). There are several other tackle prospect in the draft as well, and I'm not so sure Jake Long is even an NFL LEFT tackle. He doesn't have good feet (he does however have relatively long arms and big hands).

Quarterback is the only position that is worthy of first pick money. Plus, Parcells puts a premium on the edge pass rusher...and he has picked one AS HIGH AS HE CAN at EVERY stop he has been at. Willie McGinist, John Abraham, and DeMarcus Ware. The pick is CHRIS Long or Vernon Gholston PERIOD. It ALWAYS WAS. I'll be happy with either one - they are both going to be special. personally I think the pick will be Gholston - though Grohs first hand knowledge of Long will be hard for Parcells to overcome. In the end its either the safe bet (Chris Long) cause he can't bust. or the potential of Gholston (which is to be one of the top 3 players off the edge in the league)

Can you imagine if we had Gholston, Taylor, Porter, Will Allen, DeAngelo Hall (or Cromartie etc), along with the size we already have up front and perhaps Eugene Wilson (though some combo of Hill, Bell, and Allen will be ok). I'm sorry, our defense is already going to be pretty formidable. That is at least a top 15 unit that will create turnovers. With no glaring holes.

On offense, the line is already better than it was last year as long as the tackle spot is addressed (which it will be). Our receivers are already better (Wilfork and Ginn are a great compliment). Im sure TE will be adressed somehow. Ronnie or Ricky are two pretty damn good options (hopefully one of them can stay healthy/recover). With this offense around him and an emphasis on running the ball (Wilfork signing indicates this) - I love his pickup cause he is a red zone threat as well as a good blocker). Beck should have a decent surrounding cast.

Special teams have been upgraded. This team wound have as much depth as Parcells would like, and it needs another year of roster turnover. But it is possible if this team stays healthy and comes together, that we could have a pretty good season. I would certainly prefer the young talent we have or will have over quite a few teams (the Jets and Bills for instance).

How is WR better? Ginn, Wilford and Hagan are better than Chambers, Ginn, Booker and Hagan. Wow.

They have no defensive tackles left. Their coach is the Jacksonville Jaguars former defensive coordiantor whose whole career was based on having two mountains play the interior on the Dline. They have as many holes to fill as us. I find it impossible to believe they are going to trade up with us. I think they pick Dorsey or Ellis

How is WR better? Ginn, Wilford and Hagan are better than Chambers, Ginn, Booker and Hagan. Wow.

Umm... yeah they are better..thought I touched on that a bit??? For one we didn't have a SINGLE red zone target at receiver last year. How many touchdowns has Chambers had the last few years?? I loved Chambers, and he would be a nice receiver for us, but we are better off with Wilford...they guy is a great blocker down the field (Jacksonville doesn't run the ball as well as they do without the guy - the most overlooked thing receivers do. The trade looks fantastic now, cause we got a 2nd rounder, saved money, and got a receiver that fits us better now.

The second thing is Tedd Ginn will be in his second year. He is working hard to put on some weight - and the guy IS A PLAYER. He really had a good year for us, and rookie receivers almost NEVER have a good first season. Randy Moss and Bowe I think are about the only guys in the last 10 years. **** I think Ginn might have had a better season than Calvin Johnson - and do we really think he isn't going to be good???

Booker can easily be replaced by ??? someone. I liked him, he is a good receiver - underappreciated here. He also is an average starter - he didnt do anything great - he was just kind of there.

Think Randy Moss and Welker - their skill sets make them such a fantastic combo - they make each other much better cause of what they individually do great. Same applies to Ginn and Wilford. I'm excited to see these guys together.

Oh and WE ARE better at receiver already (be nice to have some more weapons -booker out of the backfield could be one - but we no longer have a hole at receiver - in fact, this might be our best receiver situation since Fryar and McDuffie lined up together....don't even ask - I'll take Fryar and McDuffie)

Most of yall are over thinking this years draft way too much. I know we have the #1 pick and there is no clear cut #1 guy. But unless we trade the pick, Bill parcells is going to take Chris Long.

parcells could take Matt Ryan if he feels hes worthy of the #1 and if he doesnt have faith in Beck. So it pretty much is up to Parcells and the staff to make the decision. But yall can analyze all you want but until someone actually talks to Parcells will wont know his opinons and his players.

They have no defensive tackles left. Their coach is the Jacksonville Jaguars former defensive coordiantor whose whole career was based on having two mountains play the interior on the Dline. They have as many holes to fill as us. I find it impossible to believe they are going to trade up with us. I think they pick Dorsey or Ellis

So one defensive tackle will make as much difference as a franchise QB? Not a chance. This franchise has got to have something to sell to fans....Redmon and Turner????? You are dreaming man. I'm sure they would love to have a tackle....I'm not sure Dorsey is even a top ten pick. I read a report about the MANY injury problems this guy has - including a problem in his leg that may never heal properly, back problems, knee, ankle. He might not be meant to hold that much weight. If i'm picking in the top ten - no way does a guy with injury concerns get picked - not a chance, I don't care HOW talented he is....you can't get your first pick wrong. Atlanta not only wants to draft Ryan. They HAVE to draft Ryan BECAUSE of the media circus they created for themselves by trading Schaub, Vick going to jail, the hiring fiassco. Look how much heat we took for passing Quinn cause the previous staff allowed it to develop. You think that decision didn't have anything to do with the end result of them not being here??? it did - too much doubt (even Taylor publicly admonished the pick)....Owner lost faith, the media destroyed them early on, and when they fail to win as well.....the doubt (that shouldnt have been there....cause Mueller did A FANTASTIC job - the best since Jimmy) creeps in - they get fired!

Atlanta is in a position that they have to have a franchise QB to sell to the fans. sorry DT doesnt cut it. Atlanta trades

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of yall are over thinking this years draft way too much. I know we have the #1 pick and there is no clear cut #1 guy. But unless we trade the pick, Bill parcells is going to take Chris Long.

parcells could take Matt Ryan if he feels hes worthy of the #1 and if he doesnt have faith in Beck. So it pretty much is up to Parcells and the staff to make the decision. But yall can analyze all you want but until someone actually talks to Parcells will wont know his opinons and his players.

That's what we do.....obviously you already have reached your own conclusion that Chris Long is the pick......what makes you so sure??? you have nothing to back that up - yet you speculate??? forget about the media (cause they are the ones that hyped Chris Long to begin with)....where did YOU come to that conclusion??? My contention to you is Chris Long wouldn't get as much consideration from Parcells as he will, if is wasnt for Al Groh. I believe Parcell's history leans toward Gholston, though I think Grohs familiarity with Long makes it a tough choice. So while I agree with the basic position we draft (and I think it is possible Long gets picked) - I believe Gholston would be the guy ordinarily Parcells would lean toward.

Pure speculation. Quite simplistic too. Nobody knows whats going to happen between now and draft day. Too many variables like JT being traded, RBrown not recovering till November...just premature speculation based on bias.

Um yeah....cause it was Booker and Chambers (cause they were the starters and Ginn was a rookie)...and I seem to recall a bunch of people calling for both Booker and Chamber's head....guess what...they are BOTH GONE.

Ginn is going to be a stud. has he done anything to show otherwise???? besides what three returns for touchdowns (two poor penalties called 2 back) and a couple 50+ yard returns....not to mention pretty much ALWAYS being open....how many passes did the guy have to come back to when he was open deep? it happened ALL the time. He didn't drop passes. He is a stud, and unfortunately for Mueller he got just about EVERYHING right last year - too bad Cameron lost the locker room (or in this case thank God cause we are in even better hands)

Wilford is the perfect compliment to Ginn.

Did Chambers and Booker complement each other??? didn't seem like it. We haven't had a red zone target, and we haven't had a guy that can strike deep fast......we DO NOW!!! so yeah

Wilford and Ginn ARE better options than whatever else it was you said (and i didnt say **** about Hagan either)....oh and I'll take that extra draft choice to boot...thanks

Jake#1 choice
Chris#2 choice

There is no way on earth that MIA takes Chris Long. Only Matt Ryan and Jake Long make any sense.

There is no way on earth that MIA takes Chris Long. Only Matt Ryan and Jake Long make any sense.

Really Jake Long makes sense and two edge pass rushers do not? um ok.... Think I pointed out already WHY only the pass rushers do make sense. First off, Bill has already, at EVERY STOP, proven to favor defense early and specifically the edge rusher. McGinist, Abraham, Ware....a guy at eevery stop early in the first!!!! THAT SHOULD BE REASON ENOUGH!! There is more but already pointed this **** out....read the post dude

I'm a little mystified at this perception that Gholston somehow has a much higher ceiling that C long, except for the 40, where they both ran good times(the most overated football test), C long beat Gholston in the short shuttle and cone drill and looked much more athletic than Gholston.

The rare prospect is C long, Gholston is very good, but he is not C long.

Wow, I love this post. I feel the exact same way about everything you said here. Hope it's true! Gholston or Chris Long would make me very happy!

Back
Top Bottom