#1 Reason not to Take Tannehill, Sucks in Bigs Games and 4th Quarter | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

#1 Reason not to Take Tannehill, Sucks in Bigs Games and 4th Quarter

foozool13

#12 #13 #23 #29 #54 #99
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
The main reason I do not want Tannehill is how bad he plays in big games and in the 4th qaurter. It reminds me so much of Henne and how he could never beat Ohio State and was pure garbage in the 4th quarter. This really worries me about Tannehill. :confused: Hopefully we can coach him up (and YES I do think we draft him) and get this things figured out, but Im worried about it. I guess we can always move him to WR worst comes to worst.

If you take away a six-touchdown outing against defenseless Baylor, Tannehill’s numbers (3,744 YDS, 29 TD, 15 INT) are very average. What’s more disconcerting is the fact Tannehill consistently struggled in big games and showed atrocious decision-making that led to 15 interceptions in the defense-optional Big 12. By comparison, Robert Griffin III had 14 picks in the last two seasons combined.
There were his three interceptions in the final 19 minutes of the Oklahoma State game in which A&M blew a 17-point lead to lose. A week later, Tannehill went in the tank again in the second half as TAMU below an 18-point lead to Arkansas.
And in the losses to Oklahoma and Texas later in the season, Tannehill threw a combined six interceptions. Aside from one against OU that was tipped at the line, he showed a combination of locking in on one receiver, not reading the defense correctly, not being on the same page with his wide out and throwing into tight coverage or double teams – or a combination of those.

Full Article: http://www.lostlettermen.com/4-16-2012-ryan-tannehill-column/

i would rather see us take Floyd in the first round and then take Weeden in the the second round and then McNutt in the 3rd round.

Maybe some of this has to do with the fact that Tannehill hasn't played QB for very long?? Tom Brady didn't look very good in many games that I watched him play at Michigan, but he got better over time. Some guys like Henne and Henson at Michigan looked pretty good but they peaked in College and never got better. Tannehill ran a pro style offense under Sherman at Texas Tech, and he has good mobility, arm strength and smarts. I am ok with taking him at #8 if he is there.

I have a hard time with this issue because the posters who bring it up do so in the douchiest of manners (and seem utterly ignorant of the fact that's been brought up again and again), but let me try this as a rebuttal.

What I think you tend to see when a team (or any particular player) starts out fast in a game is some combination of 1.) a good gameplan, and/or 2.) Some overwhelming attribute the team or player possesses that is hard for the opponent to prepare for.

In other words, no amount of practice or watching of film can prepare you for Michael Vick's agility. You have to see it live to get a sense for how to deal with it (if you can).

But a good game plan can often be counteracted, especially if it isn't based on some kind of personnel deficiency. In other words, if you're facing the Saints and you have no one on your team who can cover Jimmy Graham, there's not much you can do about that. But if a team is running a certain route combinations designed to attack a favored coverage, then you probably can adjust to that and stop it.

What you see when teams start fast and fade in the 2nd half is those defensive adjustments in action. The offense came out with a plan, that plan was working, and now it's not working. In other words, it's not about "choking." Way too much is made of that aspect of football. It's about adjustments. Can you as an offense react to the adjustments of the defense?

What I think we saw on the part of Tannehill and the Aggies was an inability to do that (there were also extenuating circumstances in several of these games, such as balls tipped in the air by WRs or utter defensive collapses). In the Sun Sentinel Draft Winds piece they brought up the fact that one of the INTs Tannehill threw in the OSU game was on a play that A&M had run successfully several times previous in the game. OSU eventually adjusted to this play and the ball was intercepted.

In Tannehill's defense, this is an aspect of playing quarterback that only in-game experience can teach you. No amount of film or practice work can prepare you for it. Mike Sherman, on the other hand, should have been able to adjust to these things, but perhaps he didn't know what to do or didn't feel like his quarterback could execute beyond the game plan for one reason or another. It's hard to say.

My read on this whole issue is that it's something that needs to be studied, needs to be dissected. But it's important to look beyond the box score as proof of something in and of itself. That's lazy. Look at the circumstances. Look at the situation. More important that anything, look at the game.

Reactions: MD
Taken from the other thread you posted the same thing in. Sums it up perfectly.
Did you actually WATCH that second half, or are you going off numbers on a page? That's a real question, I'm not trying to be condescending. I suggest you watch it. The first interception he threw was 100% not his fault in any way, shape or form. He threw an anticipation route exactly as he was supposed to, which means the bird was in the air before Jeff Fuller had made his break. The problem is, Fuller fell to the ground in his break, giving the man coverage an easy interception. One hundred percent NOT Tannehill's fault.

There was one interception that was fully on Tannehill. The final interception was a mix, it was not great ball placement to the outside, but instead of adjusting on it and making the catch, Jeff fuller popped it up and turned it into a tip drill. Again, did you watch the game? First interception he threw was definitely not placed correctly, but he threw a deep ball to Jeff Fuller in man coverage and Fuller made zero attempt to fight for the ball. I think it might have been Urban Meyer that was doing the color in that game and he was disgusted with Fuller's effort on the play, said it was as much his fault as Tannehill's and he has no problems with deciding to take that shot. At one point midway through the 2nd quarter, Tannehill's only incompletion of the game was that jump ball to Fuller that Fuller decided not to fight for whatsoever. In the first half of the game, Tannehill's only incomplete passes were that INT, a pressured throwaway, and two rollouts where he threw to a spot only his receiver would have a shot at the ball and the receivers didn't make the adjustment. I notice no credit is given to Tannehill for building that 35-17 lead in one half of a football game.

I tell you what if I were a coach, you give me a player that can build a lead like that with a 35 point onslaught in 30 minutes of football, and I can help him hold onto that lead. That's my mindset. As for "blowing" the lead...isn't technically the DEFENSE that blows it, when your offense scores 35 points in the first half, and your defense can't hold on? Was nice of Jeff Fuller to pop up yet another ball that almost got picked off the tip drill, on 3rd & 4. Other drops similarly killed other drives. The reality is the Arkansas game was actually a very good performance. He made some incredible throws in that game.

I've got a number...64...the number of dropped passed by Texas A&M receivers. Now change those drops to catches and Tannehill's number would look phenominal...more yards, less interceptions, more TDs and higher completion percentage.

The main reason I do not want Tannehill is how bad he plays in big games and in the 4th qaurter. It reminds me so much of Henne and how he could never beat Ohio State and was pure garbage in the 4th quarter. This really worries me about Tannehill. :confused: Hopefully we can coach him up (and YES I do think we draft him) and get this things figured out, but Im worried about it. I guess we can always move him to WR worst comes to worst.

Full Article: http://www.lostlettermen.com/4-16-2012-ryan-tannehill-column/
I hope you are not basing this decision solely on this article. Tannehill wasn't at fault for several of those Ints and let's not forget, blowing a large second half lead is not solely on the QB.

The talent that he shows with the lack of experience maes him a very intriguing prospect. He is accurate, athletic, and throws exceptionally well on the run. Of course he has areas that need improving that hopefully come with more experience and maturity at the position but if they take him at 8, I am good with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone correct me because I didn't cite check this, but one of the draft special TV programs I saw claimed that Tannehill had 18 TD's and 1 INT in the 4th Q and overtime. I have a hard time believing it.

I have a hard time with this issue because the posters who bring it up do so in the douchiest of manners (and seem utterly ignorant of the fact that's been brought up again and again), but let me try this as a rebuttal.

What I think you tend to see when a team (or any particular player) starts out fast in a game is some combination of 1.) a good gameplan, and/or 2.) Some overwhelming attribute the team or player possesses that is hard for the opponent to prepare for.

In other words, no amount of practice or watching of film can prepare you for Michael Vick's agility. You have to see it live to get a sense for how to deal with it (if you can).

But a good game plan can often be counteracted, especially if it isn't based on some kind of personnel deficiency. In other words, if you're facing the Saints and you have no one on your team who can cover Jimmy Graham, there's not much you can do about that. But if a team is running a certain route combinations designed to attack a favored coverage, then you probably can adjust to that and stop it.

What you see, then, when teams start fast and fade in the 2nd half, is those defensive adjustments in action. The offense came out with a plan, that plan was working, and now it's not working. To put it another way, it's not about "choking." It's not about players going into a shell. Way too much is made of that aspect of football. It's about adjustments. Can you as an offense react to the adjustments of the defense.

What I think we saw on the part of Tannehill and the Aggies was an inability to do that (there were also extenuating circumstances in several of these games, such as balls tipped in the air by WRs or utter defensive collapses). In the Sun Sentinel Draft Winds piece they brought up the fact that one of the INTs Tannehill threw in the OSU game was on a play that A&M had run successfully several times previous in the game. Then OSU adjusted and the ball was intercepted. This is a direct example of what I'm talking about but often the result of these adjustments is more subtle (blitzes out of a certain look where the defense knows the hot read and covers it, for example).

In Tannehill's defense, this is an aspect of playing quarterback that only in-game experience can teach you. No amount of film or practice work can prepare you for it. Mike Sherman, on the other hand, should have been able to adjust to these things, but perhaps he didn't know what to do or didn't feel like his quarterback could execute beyond the game plan for one reason or another. It's hard to say.

My read on this whole issue is that it's something that needs to be studied, needs to be dissected. But it's important to look beyond the box score as proof of something in and of itself. That's lazy. Look at the circumstances. Look at the situation. More important that anything, look at the game.

Some of your reasoning is either a excuse for Tannehill or a indictment of Sherman. Either way, neither is good for the Phins.

Also, being in BIG12 country, specifically Manhattan KS. I have seen Tannehill quite abit. He **** the bed in a few games. He and Sherman had HUGE expectations this past year, and both FAILED. It is what it is. You and others wouldn't be on this train if the class was deeper at QB. But since it isn't you and others are following the media hype and drumming the beat. Some don't want to walk to that beat. And it isn't ignorance that leads us to that reasoning. To some of us, its simply watching the guy the past 2 years and not being impressed w/ what he is and what YOU and others project him to be.

I've got a number...64...the number of dropped passed by Texas A&M receivers. Now change those drops to catches and Tannehill's number would look phenominal...more yards, less interceptions, more TDs and higher completion percentage.

Well hot damn, lets use that logic w/ Matt Moore.:lol2:

If you are saying the fourth QTR is what counts then we should have gave up our number 3 pick for TEBOW. Hes great in the fourth quarter.

If you are saying the fourth QTR is what counts then we should have gave up our number 3 pick for TEBOW. Hes great in the fourth quarter.

Nice reasoning there. Tebone is terrible as a QB.

And if the 4th qtr doesn't matter to you, than I can see your whole reasoning at the QB position and football in general.

Someone correct me because I didn't cite check this, but one of the draft special TV programs I saw claimed that Tannehill had 18 TD's and 1 INT in the 4th Q and overtime. I have a hard time believing it.

It's not correct. He had 7 TD's and 3 INT's in the 4th quarter and overtime.

15 of his 29 touchdowns actually came in the 2nd quarter. 9 of his 15 INT's came in the 3rd and 4th quarters.

Some of your reasoning is either a excuse for Tannehill or a indictment of Sherman. Either way, neither is good for the Phins.

Also, being in BIG12 country, specifically Manhattan KS. I have seen Tannehill quite abit. He **** the bed in a few games. He and Sherman had HUGE expectations this past year, and both FAILED. It is what it is. You and others wouldn't be on this train if the class was deeper at QB. But since it isn't you and others are following the media hype and drumming the beat. Some don't want to walk to that beat. And it isn't ignorance that leads us to that reasoning. To some of us, its simply watching the guy the past 2 years and not being impressed w/ what he is and what YOU and others project him to be.

LOL.

Did I say that my analysis made Sherman look good? Did I say that my post was an explanation of exactly how things happened and why for A&M?

It's only what's possible, and a few points by way of explanation for why certain things tend to happen in football games.

If you have a take on Tannehill that deals in specifics, by all means share it. I promise I won't accuse you of following the "media hype" on Tannehill if you do, as you have done for me. Point to specific games and specific situations, if that's okay. I have looked at just about every game of Tannehill's this year and a few from last year, but perhaps there's something I missed in all those Tannehill beat drumming classes you're talking about.

Back
Top Bottom