#1 Reason not to Take Tannehill, Sucks in Bigs Games and 4th Quarter | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

#1 Reason not to Take Tannehill, Sucks in Bigs Games and 4th Quarter

LOL.

Did I say that my analysis made Sherman look good? Did I say that my post was an explanation of exactly how things happened and why for A&M?

It's only what's possible, and a few points by way of explanation for why certain things tend to happen in football games.

If you have a take on Tannehill that deals in specifics, by all means share it. I promise I won't accuse you of following the "media hype" on Tannehill if you do, as you have done for me. Point to specific games and specific situations, if that's okay. I have looked at just about every game of Tannehill's this year and a few from last year, but perhaps there's something I missed in all those Tannehill beat drumming classes you're talking about.

I will point to one specific play that TOO ME, is what best show my point of view. The last game of the season against a terrible Texas team. While being pretty solid the first half. He comes out after half and just has these "WTF" moments. The 3rd qt INT that was returned for a TD. He had one read and he stared it down. Now maybe his WR half assed it, maybe he didn't. But the fact he locked on and never looked to his TE in that situation goes against all the hype here that he knows how to read defenses and is composed and this and that. He took his drop back and locked on, let it rip.

Now in the ebb and flow of a game, that was the turning point in my opinion. A game against a inferior opponent, was changed on that 1 play.

Pundits, scouting reports and many others have commented endlessly that he has a problem w/ locking onto recievers. Something Henne got crucified for here and the media. But yet, you and others here want to give a guy with limited experience the benefit of the doubt and invest a TOP 10 pick on the guy. This guy wouldn't be a TOP 10 talent if Barkley comes out. And he shouldn't be since Barkley isn't.

I will point to one specific play that TOO ME, is what best show my point of view. The last game of the season against a terrible Texas team. While being pretty solid the first half. He comes out after half and just has these "WTF" moments. The 3rd qt INT that was returned for a TD. He had one read and he stared it down. Now maybe his WR half assed it, maybe he didn't. But the fact he locked on and never looked to his TE in that situation goes against all the hype here that he knows how to read defenses and is composed and this and that. He took his drop back and locked on, let it rip.

Now in the ebb and flow of a game, that was the turning point in my opinion. A game against a inferior opponent, was changed on that 1 play.

Pundits, scouting reports and many others have commented endlessly that he has a problem w/ locking onto recievers. Something Henne got crucified for here and the media. But yet, you and others here want to give a guy with limited experience the benefit of the doubt and invest a TOP 10 pick on the guy. This guy wouldn't be a TOP 10 talent if Barkley comes out. And he shouldn't be since Barkley isn't.

Not a good game for Tannehill overall, I'd say. Especially the two third quarter interceptions. Yet he still managed to come back and throw a touchdown to put A&M up by a point with under two minutes left, only to see Texas hit a field goal at the buzzer.

But a couple of things here. First, that you say it was a "terrible" Texas team. This to me speaks volumes about how much college football you watch. Texas was not particularly good on offense but their defense was excellent in 2011, ranking 14th in the nation overall and 13th in passing yards per play. Did you know that?

Secondly, I must be the first to inform you that you apparently have a rather rabid case of confirmation bias. You have by your own admission read in multiple places that Tannehill stares down his receivers. You remember this being said about Henne, to your horror. So then when you see a case where Tannehill does this (and every quarterback does it, for reference allow me to point you to a pick 6 no less than Andrew Luck threw in the fourth quarter against USC) you suddenly think you have a full evaluation on your hands. Tannehill = Henne. OMG! And he's inexperienced!

Only you don't have a full evaluation, unless you count lazy bull**** as an evaluation.

Look, I don't blame anybody for coming to a different conclusion than me about a player. That's what all this is about. I mean, I'm not even completely sold on Tannehill. I've posted about his low YPA numbers before, and about the danger of looking at his mistakes and seeing inexperience rather than deficiencies. But this whole line of **** about pundits? WTF is that, exactly? Does anyone care about the pundits? Are the pundits informing the Dolphins' decisions? Am I?

All I care about is watching these guys play and then coming to my own conclusions about them. I don't give much of a **** about convincing anyone about it. I do place some value on discussing my opinions, obviously. That's why I'm here. But you seem to want to blame everybody who likes Tannehill for something, as if it's a crime to say you like a player on a public forum.

This would be laughable in itself except that it's pretty clear that you haven't watched very much of Tannehill.

None of us can tell what Tannehill will transpose to in the NFL.

Eli Manning was underwhelming in college to a degree. He was underwhelming in the NFL until the 1st superbowl year vs. NE where they simplified the offense for him where he was making quicker reads/pass plays and learned to set up a defense.

What everyone on here ignores is the character and work ethic of Tannehill. You can question his decision making/reads all day and both sides would be right. You can find any good or bad play and hang your marbles on those plays, but it doesnt mean anything at the next level unless you continue to work at being the best and learning and getting better each game.

I use Vince Young case and point. The guy did it all in college and made tremendous plays in the fourth qtr but look where he is now. I liked him over Cutler but Cutler is the guy in the long term.

Good thing we didn't draft that Peyton Manning guy by this logic.

I don't believe that there is anyone here who doesn't have a few questions or reservations about Tannehill. But, as has been said many times, there are absolutely no guarantees in the draft. How many players were supposed to be sure things and weren't? Or players who were expected to bust and became all-pros? You just never know what these guys are going to do once they get in there.

My feeling is the same as it has been from the get go, if Irleand/Philbin/Sherman truly feels that this kid can be a franchise QB then by all means you take him at #8. I agree that 8 may be a little too high for Tannehill considering where he was projected to go at the end of the year, however, if we do not take him at 8 then we will not have another shot at him unless he freefalls all the way to the end of the first round which I absolutely do not see happening.

I see them taking him at 8 if he’s there.

i would venture to guess that about 90% of the fans here calling for selecting senior neoQB ryan tannehill at #8 overall had never even heard of this kid 3 months ago let alone seen him play a whole quarter.

i would venture to guess that about 90% of the fans here calling for selecting senior neoQB ryan tannehill at #8 overall had never even heard of this kid 3 months ago let alone seen him play a whole quarter.

Probably true...but since when do you turn your attention to the draft before the Super Bowl is played????...oh...excuse me...I am a Dolphin fan which means our season was over in October!!!!...so I did...partly because this franchise has chosen not to address the QB position since Dan Marino how long has that been?

Back
Top Bottom