16-year-old Scout Evaluates Dion Jordan | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

16-year-old Scout Evaluates Dion Jordan

Awsi Dooger

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Mackenzie Pantoja

High school junior from Cincinnati. I discovered this kid's scouting reports about a month ago. I absolutely love them, whether I agree or not. He's wonderfully blunt, and unafraid to take his own path.

Mackenzie didn't break down every player. In fact, only a few dozen. But he did include two of our picks, the Dions, Jordan and Sims.

Here is his take on Dion Jordan, written in January. I appreciate some of his angles, like looking back to where Jordan was rated prior to the season, as opposed to fixation on latest tape.

Obviously I hope he's wrong but it's an entertaining read:

http://nflmocks.com/2013/01/19/dion-jordan-2013-nfl-draft-scouting-report/

"I’ll be pretty sad for the team that makes the mistake of drafting Oregon defensive end/outside linebacker Dion Jordan. The sad thing is that he’s probably going to be a first round pick."

<snip>

"The odd thing is that Jordan was considered by most to be a 3rd round pick heading into the season. He has made virtually no improvement since then (on paper and film), and is now seen as a first rounder. They were right the first time. And seriously; other than a small improvement in coverage, is there really a difference between last year’s Jordan and this year’s Jordan? I don’t see it."

<snip>

"Jordan is absolutely awful against the run. Starting with the positives, unlike most pass rushers who struggle against the run, Jordan’s effort is actually pretty solid. He really does put up effort against the run. He also has solid range. Beyond that, there is absolutely nothing to like. His instincts are awful, he lacks quickness, he’s too tall to get good leverage and doesn’t make up for it with good hand usage, he’s a mediocre tackler, his body control is mediocre, he takes poor angles to the ball, he isn’t a great tackler, his fundamentals aren’t great, his strength is awful, and his strength is so awful that it counts as two negative aspects of his game against the run. His strength is just so bad at this point. People say it will be better when he bulks up, but, if he gets above 250lbs, I don’t see him being fluid enough for outside linebacker, and I definitely don’t trust him to set the edge as a 4-3 end (more on that later), so he’ll be a man without a position. I don’t ever expect him to be good against the run."

Plenty more. Enjoy :)

Talking junk about our #3 pick? Going to take this kid's lunch money.

You had to dig deep to throw the dolphins under the bus this time.

4af22dcd0c838be1a4719b094e1cb7e6jpeg-1.jpg

https://twitter.com/Mackenzie45220

Should I put more weight in some kid's evaluation or that of professional football scouts?

I know this 10 year old scout that thought Jordan should have been the number 1 pick and therefore we got a steal at 3!

lmao.. this is funny. this kid must be related to AL Davis. when is 4.68 Average speed for a a 6'6 250 lb guy?

watch him on film. How often is he not blocked and makes a sack or stop? Often. Its easy to make a stop when youre not blocked. A few years back the Lions drafted a defensive tackle (Nick Fairley?) in the 1st round who everyone thought was awesome. But looking at his film, he was rarely ever blocked by someone! When youre not blocked, you'll make plays! And look how Nick Fairley is doing....not so good.

watch him on film. How often is he not blocked and makes a sack or stop? Often. Its easy to make a stop when youre not blocked. A few years back the Lions drafted a defensive tackle (Nick Fairley?) in the 1st round who everyone thought was awesome. But looking at his film, he was rarely ever blocked by someone! When youre not blocked, you'll make plays! And look how Nick Fairley is doing....not so good.

Did you see film, or are you watching clips on youtube? Big difference.

Back
Top Bottom