1972 Miami Dolphins Question... (For the Veteran Miami Fans) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

1972 Miami Dolphins Question... (For the Veteran Miami Fans)

RUDEbyallMEANS

Perennial All-Pro
Reaction score
Season 1972... Miami played at Pittsburgh in the AFC Championship game before beating the Redskins in Suprbowl 6..

Why did Miami play at Pittsburgh?? I would assume Miami had the best record since they were the only team with a perfect season...

Anyone know?

72 Dolphins

The reason the Dolphins played in Pittsburg was that playoffs were not scheduled by regular seson record. As far as I remember they were set by the NFL on a rotation basis, where different divisions hosted the playoffs each year.

You are right...home field believe it or not was based on a rotational system.

Atfin4life said:
The reason the Dolphins played in Pittsburg was that playoffs were not scheduled by regular seson record. As far as I remember they were set by the NFL on a rotation basis, where different divisions hosted the playoffs each year.

clear.gif

:D

Marino1983

The fake punt by seiple in the 2nd quarter of that game was the most important play in franchise history

i actually had the pleasure of watching that game decades ago. i may be wrong, but what i remember about why miami had to play at pittsburgh was not a divisional rotation thing, but a last time a team was in the playoffs scenario. miami had hosted playoffs the year before, but it had been quiet awhile since the steelers had been in the playoffs, so the nfl's thinking was to reward the the long suffering fans of teams that had struggled for awhile. what ever the reason, the fact the dolphins had to travel in the playoffs and still went won them all just adds to the fact that the '72 dolphins are the greatest team ever. UNDEFEATED ends a lot of arguments.

Well, it was like this...

NASA had an unemployed monkey, and the NFL had two stacks of paper, both of which had the teams in the playoffs. Whichever piece of paper the monkey grabbed first had the home field that week - which probably makes as much sense as the way they really did it. :eek:

and it was as a result of quirks like this, and Shula being on the competition comm., that we have the current home-field advantage based playoff system.

'72 dolpins

In the original thread the writer refered to the dolphins being the winners of Super Bowl VI, in actuality we lost VI (to the Cowboys) and won Super Bowl VII.:)

RevRick said:
NASA had an unemployed monkey, and the NFL had two stacks of paper, both of which had the teams in the playoffs. Whichever piece of paper the monkey grabbed first had the home field that week - which probably makes as much sense as the way they really did it. :eek:

:lol: :lol:

It just so happened to be unseasonally warm that Dec 31st in Pittsburgh. A perfect season indeed.

Question
Was the AFC championship game against Pittsburg during the Dolphins undefeated season played in Pittsburg ? If so,why ?

Answer
Hi
Thank you for your question.
Yes the game was played at Pittsburgh.
The Dolphins won 21-17 at Pittsburgh (Dec. 31, 1972, 50,845 people attended).
Back then, the playoff system wasn't as it is today.
In 1972 the NFC champ. game between Dallas and Washington wasn't played in Washington even though Washington won the NFC east ahead of Dallas and the 1973 game between Minnesota and Dallas was played at Dallas even though Dallas went 10-4 and the Vikings were 12-2 (the Vikings won anyway).
I hope I answered your question.

Eran Anchikovsky, Israel
http://www.dolphinsinfo.com
http://experts.about.com/q/283/2622830.htm

Back
Top Bottom