1st Round Running Backs | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

1st Round Running Backs

finsnchips

2005 FinHeaven GM League Champion!!
Reaction score
If Ricky had retired prior to the draft, do you think Rick would have used the 20th pick on S. Jackson or K. Jones rather than Vernon.

I think Jackson is a very similar runner to Ricky and that Rick would have drafted him over Carey.

Thoughts?!

I don't think so. O-line was a major need with or without Ricky.

finsnchips said:
If Ricky had retired prior to the draft, do you think Rick would have used the 20th pick on S. Jackson or K. Jones rather than Vernon.

I think Jackson is a very similar runner to Ricky and that Rick would have drafted him over Carey.

Thoughts?!
Offensive line was still a more pressing issue. Can you imagine the prospect of our line without Carey. If you cant block you cant run. Always trying to put carriage in front of the horse.

I think to piggy back this question is whether a quality FA would have been interested in signing with the Dolphins? Carey definitely addressed a need that we pursued during free agency but failed to improve. So, I have to wonder what we could have done prior to the draft in terms of trades and FA signings. I mean with a trade other teams could have drafted around a trade with us which could more easily facilitate one happening. I think a skill position takes precedence over a lineman but then again I think we are deeper now at RB than we were at RT. Good question.

If you have no o-line, it doesn't matter who the RB is. We still would've went o-line and tried to either make a trade or sign a FA.

It would sure as heck be a tough pick cause I believe they are both a CANT MISS Prospect to develope into Pro Bowl/Elite Players with the abilities and versatility.Oh yeah did I mention Size?...That too but O-line is definitely a more pressing need.

We would have taken Jackson because he was the best RB in the draft. Remember, Carey was a reach that we took to fill a need. Although if Ricky had retired earlier I think that the phins may have made the trade dallas did with Buffalo.

If Ricky had decided this before the draft, chances are, Miami would have gone after Corey Dillon.

I think we would have drafted a RB later in the draft such as a Cedric Cobbs (Patriots with another good pick) or someone of that ilk that would be a good, solid goal line and short yardage contributor.

Taking Steven Jackson would have been the best move in the end (due to several T's slipping in the draft)

But we would have had no way of knowing that was going to happen in the first round.

Ricky screwed us, plain and simple.

It seems to be coming to light he just didn't like playing here with our O-line, being very far away from home, and the fact that our fans are fairly normal.

can i imagine a line without carey you say? yea, pretty much the starting OL we have now.

lets just hope we can get some picks from the raiders next year...

PhinsmissedFG said:
It seems to be coming to light he just didn't like playing here with our O-line, being very far away from home, and the fact that our fans are fairly normal.

Where are you getting this from (articles?), or is this just your opinion? I'd be interested in reading what Ricky thought of his O-Line and Miami Fans. (I think he's mentioned that he didn't like getting beat up, and accused Mckinney of letting some DL almost take off his head, but I don't think Ricky applied that to the whole line- considering how little Mckinney played vs. Ruddy).

I think Steven Jackson would be Ricky's replacement, if he retired before the draft.

Back
Top Bottom