2002 Buccaneers defense compared to 2003 Dolphins defense | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2002 Buccaneers defense compared to 2003 Dolphins defense

Gonk

Active Roster
Reaction score
LDE Greg Spires vs. Adewale Ogunleye

DT Warren Sapp vs. Tim Bowens

NT Chartric Darby vs. Larry Chester

RDE Simeon Rice vs. Jason Taylor

SLB Alshermond Singleton vs. Morlon Greenwood/Eddie Moore

MLB Shelton Quarles vs. Zach Thomas

WLB Derrick Brooks vs. Junior Seau

LCB Brian Kelly vs. Patrick Surtain

RCB Ronde Barber vs. Sam Madison

SS John Lynch vs. Sammy Knight

FS Dexter Jackson vs. Brock Marion

That's the TB defense that won the Super Bowl compared to our current defense. I think we've got them beat at LDE, NT, RDE, MLB, LCB, SS and FS. We're about even at RCB, and SLB. I think they've got us beat at WLB and DT, althought DT is a close call. Both guys are probowlers.

Do we have a better defense then the 2002 World Champ Buccaneers defense? With all "bias'ism" aside, I think we do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we have a better defense, but need a BETTER state of mind when we play away from home and in blizzards too. Look at the Bucs when they played Philly in the championships the last time! They whooped them in the Vet. The Bucs were tired of Philly screwing their chances up for them. We need the same attitude as the Bucs did. SuperBowl prediction:Bucs vs. Fins.

that looks really close. the difference that remains to be seen are two things. one: they played as a team. two: they played big when it was on the line. but i will give it to you, that is a great post and an intersting comparison.

We just need to get over December. Other then that, we played well when it was on the line. We beat the Patriots, Broncos, and Oakland all when they were considered one of the best or the best.

I've heard Ravens fans compare us talent wise to their 2000 team too.

And btw, last season, with all of our QB and WR woes, we had a better offense then both Baltimores and TB's.

I went last year to the Dolphins/Chargers game and I kept hearing Tomlinson this and that, and that he will run over our defense. Yeah right. We held him to his seaon low in rushing that day. What a great game with Thomas intercepting the football, but Ricky was the one running over defenses.

Originally posted by Gonk
LDE Greg Spires vs. Adewale Ogunleye

DT Warren Sapp vs. Tim Bowens

NT Chartric Darby vs. Larry Chester

RDE Simeon Rice vs. Jason Taylor

SLB Alshermond Singleton vs. Morlon Greenwood/Eddie Moore

MLB Shelton Quarles vs. Zach Thomas

WLB Derrick Brooks vs. Junior Seau

LCB Brian Kelly vs. Patrick Surtain

RCB Ronde Barber vs. Sam Madison

SS John Lynch vs. Sammy Knight

FS Dexter Jackson vs. Brock Marion

That's the TB defense that won the Super Bowl compared to our current defense. I think we've got them beat at LDE, NT, RDE, MLB, LCB, SS and FS. We're about even at RCB, and SLB. I think they've got us beat at WLB and DT, althought DT is a close call. Both guys are probowlers.

Do we have a better defense then the 2002 World Champ Buccaneers defense? With all "bias'ism" aside, I think we do.

Interesting looking player by player in each spot We actualy beat the Yucs 5-4-2 in posistional matchups. The Yucs have 2 big advantages (Sapp over Bowens, and Lynch over Knight), however we 2 large advantages also with our corners(I feel the Yuc corners are really good safeties that are placed at corner).
The key for our guys to mesh better.

But also one thing if Booger McFarland is placed next to Sapp then the Yucs get a 5-4-2 advantage.

Do you guys remember what the bucs were like in the cold before the gruden era? It's the definately the coaching.

First you got finfans predicting undefeated season. Now you guys are comparing yourselves to the Champs. Like Migs said. One step at a time. Try winning the AFCE first before you think about meeting the Champs. The Champs D are proven. Yours isn't.

Originally posted by justafan
First you got finfans predicting undefeated season. Now you guys are comparing yourselves to the Champs. Like Migs said. One step at a time. Try winning the AFCE first before you think about meeting the Champs. The Champs D are proven. Yours isn't.

I agree, plus Derrick Brooks is better than our Outside LB's..Their LB corp is little better than ours..proven warriors, we've got to do it on the field not on paper...while I like what we have, I want to see them dominate first..As we've improved, so has other teams..plus we don't play the same teams as last year, so is our D still #3..The Giants, Philly, Indy, Bills, Jets, Pats, and Skins have a lot better O's than the ones we played last year..and they've improved from last year, except maybe the Giant's OL. This is a thread question that won't really be answered until the end of the season...while I think we have a great D..they still have to prove it to me..

We beat them at both CB positions but not at SS. Lynch makes as many INTs, is a hitter, faster, and a team leader. He is a true class act in the NFL.

I don't see how you guys can compare the two. The Dolphins D gets bashed pretty bad come playoff time, every year(except last year because they didn't make it after adding the so called best player in the league). The Bucs had their playoff losses during the same time, but they were all close, low scoring games. The Bucs O takes the blame for that because the D did all they could. Then the Bucs D leads them to a Super Bowl. But the Dolphins D is better? Come on guys, lets be a little more realistic than that.

Originally posted by Jason in LA
I don't see how you guys can compare the two. The Dolphins D gets bashed pretty bad come playoff time, every year(except last year because they didn't make it after adding the so called best player in the league). The Bucs had their playoff losses during the same time, but they were all close, low scoring games. The Bucs O takes the blame for that because the D did all they could. Then the Bucs D leads them to a Super Bowl. But the Dolphins D is better? Come on guys, lets be a little more realistic than that.

I don't think they're talking pass D..but this year, I agree, until the D does it on the field this is a mute point..but on Paper right now, we have a better D than last year, with more depth, for a change..that's what these guys are excited about..Again you point well taken, they still have to prove it on the field...and that's my stance..I think their great, but prove it to me.

btw, Dexter Jackson is now a Cardinal. They promoted somebody, I forgot the name of the guy at the moment.

Singleton is no longer on the team either, they replaced him with Dwayne Rudd

Back
Top Bottom