2005 draft: QB? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2005 draft: QB?

Since our 2nd rounder next year was for Feeley, I can't see them drafting another QB. Even if he starts this season or part of the season and doesn't set the league on fire, I think they will give him at least 1 more year to see if he improves. Maybe a veteran QB in the off-season is more of a probability. Could also depend on who the coach is next year too. I wouldn't mind if Brunell does a good job and Patrick Ramsey becomes available. I actually would've preferred him this year when they signed Brunell. LB still is a priority. Maybe even a RB to back up Ricky. I like Minor, but if Ricky was out an extended period of time, I don't think he could carry the load. He is more of a change of pace back. Can always use OL too.

finphan said:
Since our 2nd rounder next year was for Feeley, I can't see them drafting another QB. Even if he starts this season or part of the season and doesn't set the league on fire, I think they will give him at least 1 more year to see if he improves. Maybe a veteran QB in the off-season is more of a probability. Could also depend on who the coach is next year too. I wouldn't mind if Brunell does a good job and Patrick Ramsey becomes available. I actually would've preferred him this year when they signed Brunell. LB still is a priority. Maybe even a RB to back up Ricky. I like Minor, but if Ricky was out an extended period of time, I don't think he could carry the load. He is more of a change of pace back. Can always use OL too.
I agree about Ramsey, I really hoped to see him here. He has a cannon for an arm and had an idiot for a coach. Given an NFL system with a running game, instead of the fun and flop I think he will be a superstar.With .....his name escapes me(the guy in NFL Europe) I am not as worried about the RB position. We are good in the secondary, but we need some youth at LB and DT.

*Looks at title of this thread*

:nono: "Not again"

Don't be sorry, It is just these threads usually turn into a bash Jay (and now AJ) thread...

ooo well i haven't been here that long i didn't know.

This year was the year to draft a QB. Roth dropped low enough that we could have snagged his remarkable talent, i wanted rivers though. Oh well, at least he's not in our division. I dont see very many.....um....exciting prospects for next year, but we'll start looking. IF feeley doesn't pan out, we'll HAVE to draft a QB sometime. Haven't done so in FOREVER, and long shots haven't got it done to this point. Vet's cost WAY too much in the FA, and their in teh FA for a reason, injuries, want too much money, or are too old. Unless we can somehow score Rammsey or something.

I'm not BSin' ya here people!!

"Charlie Whitehurst??? More like White HOT! – Although the kid went through some major growing pains during his sophomore years, QB Charlie Whitehurst was as hot as any quarterback in college football over the last half of the season.

Now, Eli Manning, Jason White, Matt Leinart and even Philip Rivers gained the lions share of attention, however, if you stopped to take a look at what Whitehurst was doing at Clemson, it may have surprised you. He finished the year throwing for over 3,500 yards and 21 touchdowns, which compares to numbers put up by the supposed big boys, and has set or tied 29 school records in two short years.

He has exceptional footwork and reads defenses as well as any young quarterback in the game, not coached by Norm Chow. But, beyond the numbers and tangible qualities Whitehurst displays, it was the intangibles - leadership ability and toughness - that in essence saved a season and a coach’s job for the Tigers in ’03.

Go back to the Wake Forest game. By all indications, that debacle should have sounded the death knell for the Tigers and for head coach Tommy Bowden…especially with FSU on the horizon. But, somehow, someway, following that crushing 45-28 defeat to the Deacs, Whitehurst willed his team to a season and perhaps career changing victory over the 2003 ACC Champion Seminoles. Whitehurst exploited an average FSU secondary, beating Leroy Smith on several occasions deep downfield, finishing with a solid 272 yards passing, completing 63% of his throws. From that point on, the Tigers rolled…BIG…Duke, South Carolina and a stunning blowout of #6 Tennessee in the Peach Bowl (and, yes, Vol fan it may have been a two touchdown game, but it was a physical butt kicking that your team took against the Tigers).

There is no question coming into ’04 who is the leader of this Tiger offense – his name is Whitehurst…Charlie. Get used to it, because if he gets that hot again with his weapons at receiver (Airese Currie) and running back (Yusef Kelly and Duane Coleman), there's a little stiff armed statue that might make its way to Clemson for the first time in school history."

Miami won't invest in a 1st round QB, because like Matt Hasslebeck, Feeley WILL need a little time.

Clint Stoerner is camp fodder.
Whitehurst looks like he could be special. He has a super delivery and is a nice player. The best looking kid to my mind is Aaron Rodgers at Cal. Whitehurst is up there certainly, but Rodgers is nice. There is a clump of solid looking players, Dan Orlovsky of UCON, Charlie Frye of Akron, Rodgers and Whitehurst, Leinart, Brad Smith at Missouri, Andrew Walter remains in the mix, I like Kyle Orton a lot at Purdue, David Greene, Chris Rix has all the tools, he just needs to mentally grasp the game and his responsibilities within that game better. And Stan Hill at Marshall has some nice upside.

As for Jason White, I don't see him as am NFL starter.

Clint Stoerner is camp fodder.

Yea I agree. I don't see him doing much for us. It would be nice if Sage could develop his mental game though, because it seems like that's the weak point.

As an FSU fan I will say "DONT TOUCH CHRIS RIX" This guy can have times where he looks like he deserves to be up there in the Heisman running, and then look like he shouldnt be on a high school field. "IF" and thats a big if he gets it together mentally he may be a good player, but remember this guy missed a bowl game because he over slept for a final and was subsequently suspended.

wait 2 or 3 years for Chris Leak and we should draft him he is going to be good but until then Feeley will do fine

nick19991 said:
wait 2 or 3 years for Chris Leak and we should draft him he is going to be good but until then Feeley will do fine
If Chris Leak, and I did say IF, keeps improving like he did last year he will be such a high draft pick that we will probably not have a chance at him.

Back
Top Bottom