2013 NFL Draft Prospect: Insider Look at DeAndre Hopkins | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2013 NFL Draft Prospect: Insider Look at DeAndre Hopkins

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
Our insider scouting report series continues this morning as the 2013 NFL Draft continues to drift closer. To get a better look at some of the potential targets for the Miami Dolphins next week, we have been turning to the managers of SB Nation's college blogs, going to the source for the best information on each prospect.
Our third straight wide receiver prospect report comes out today, with a look at Clemson's DeAndre Hopkins. Our insider report on Hopkins comes via Dr. B from Shakin the Southland, SB Nation's Clemson blog.
[Hopkins'] hands have always been excellent, I could probably count on two hands the number of dropped catchable balls over the last 3 years. -Dr. B
Well Nuk Hopkins doesn't have many weaknesses, he's probably one of the more polished WRs in the draft even from a technique standpoint.

When he stepped on the field as a true freshman, I knew we had a football player, not just a track/fast guy who likes to play football. He played DB and WR in HS, and played football here, from the very start, with a defensive mentality. He's not afraid of contact at all, fights off DBs, and actually attempts a real block when he's asked to do so.

As a freshman he wasn't a great player when the ball went away from him. He'd look a little lazy in his routes or blocking assignments when the ball went to the Field side (he's played Boundary side mostly), but over the last 2 years theres been substantial improvement there. Now I'd call him a good blocker, and I think he could be a great blocker eventually.

Nuk played basketball for his first season at Clemson, along with his football duties, so he didn't spend the whole offseason lifting and eating properly as he should've. This stunted his growth a little for the sophomore season, but after that time he's been all-football and put on 10-15 lbs with that offseason going into his junior campaign. Now he's gone, with only one real offseason of fulltime football prep. In an NFL strength training program, this guy could put on another 10-15 lbs easily and become a real force on the boundary.

If he has one weakness I'd say its outright speed. He's football fast, not track fast. He won't run off and leave many guys, but he's quick and gets himself open.

His hands have always been excellent, I could probably count on two hands the number of dropped catchable balls over the last 3 years.

I am not aware of a single off the field issue with Hopkins. He's always been a quiet worker who kept his nose clean.
http://www.thephinsider.com/2013-mi...aft-prospect-insider-look-at-de-andre-hopkins

Best hands in the Draft.

Good size and could get bigger and stronger.

More of a possession WR than a big play type so he might be a bit redundant in Miami's WR Corps.

I think the Fins should be looking for a big redzone target at WR, OR an upgrade over Bess in the slot.I don't see Hopkins fitting either of those molds.

Now Eifert could be that redzone guy even though he is not strictly a WR.

I think we all assume that Miami is trying to build a Green Bay type group of WR's and right now they are lacking a Jennings type and a Cobb type.

Obviously Austin could be their Randall Cobb but I see that spot as more of a luxury than a need and I also think they could get a guy like Markus Wheaton in the 2-3 round area.

As for a big redzone target WR Patterson and Allen are the best big WR's but each have their "issues".Not really seeing much I like in the mid to later rounds but I have not looked that hard and am not "draftnik" so I would welcome input on guys who would fit there.

I wonder how much Hopkins stock will fall due to the allegations of trashing his hotel room during the NFL combine?

Back
Top Bottom