2014 Senior Bowl: South Stock Report | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2014 Senior Bowl: South Stock Report

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
STOCK UP

Arizona State DL Will Sutton
- Sutton flashed his talent all week and showed everyone what a dominant force he could be once he loses the weight. He put on weight at the request of Sun Devils coaches and it affected him in a negative manner. He still had a good 2013 but it just wasn't the same like 2011 and 2012. Sutton features good hand usage, above average quickness and agility. along with good initial moves. What he needs to work on is the counter moves when his first move is beaten. He can sneak into the first round but maintained a second round status.
Auburn DL Dee Ford
- Ford continued his good run of form in Mobile. If Aaron Donald wasn't there, Ford would've been arguably the best defensive lineman out there. Ford has excellent athleticism and a pretty fast get off. He was the lynchpin behind Auburn's vaunted pass rush and put up a great effort in the national title game. Pretty much a first round lock at this point.
BYU DE/OLB Kyle Van Noy
- Ezekiel Ansah who? Yeah KVN is that good of an athlete. He was expected to blow up this week and did not disappoint whatsoever.
Florida CB Jaylen Watkins
- Watkins could be this year's Lavar Edwards. Someone will take a chance on him based off of his performance this week. Sitting behind much more heralded Marcus Roberson and Louchiez Purifoy allowed Watkins to slip under the radar. He is an athlete that has some ball skills along with good recovery speed. What he needs to improve upon is his press coverage ability.
Vanderbilt WR Jordan Matthews
- Matthews was consistent all week long. He's not the fastest guy in the world but knows how to run all the routes with effectiveness. Matthews knows how to work the short to intermediate game with effectiveness. He's also a big body that can go up and get it if need be. Projected as a third round pick with a chance to get into the second at this point. He has an outside chance at the first round.
Coastal Carolina RB Lorenzo Taliaferro
- Talifferro opened many eyes in Mobile this week, showing well in pass blocking and receiving drills. It's nice to see a small school guy make something of himself this week. Taliaferro has underrated agility and vision. He's more of a hammer up the middle, measuring in at 6'2 230.
Read more: http://www.musiccitymiracles.com/2014/1/24/5340764/2014-senior-bowl-south-stock-report

I don't get the Will Sutton mania, I have to say. He's regularly the last guy off the snap. Hes not just overweight, he looks out of condition. He doesn't deserve the hype he's getting.

So far, its Gilmore (TE Colo St) that has caught my eye. He or Grimble (So Cal ) should be available on day 2

Ebron will probably be off the board @ #19 & I'm mixed on Amaro.

I was watching the game and thinking that if a team were in doubt, taking one of these guys off the South front seven wouldn't be the worst investment. Gad, did they have intensity level and attack mode, particularly in the first half.

I saved the tape to isolate on certain guys later. Today I primarily watched Seantrel Henderson. I don't think he helped himself. Henderson did fine on inside power plays but quickness gave him all kinds of trouble. First it was Chris Smith with a spin move to the inside, and then Dee Ford took a wide set and blew past Henderson on the outside. Early in the second half it was interesting that Henderson adjusted well to Ford's outside set and burst, faring very well on several plays. But then the South put Kyle Van Noy opposite Henderson. Van Noy isn't as explosive as Ford but he's more versatile and cerebral. Sure enough, on his first play opposite Henderson, Van Noy feigned an outside rush like Ford and Henderson bought it completely, allowing Van Noy to quickly dip inside and smother the quarterback.

* When Aaron Donald draws a single team, it's over within two steps. He creates a gap instantly

* I like Zach Martin but I doubt he'll produce like a great pro. Solid but more like a 2nd or 3rd rounder than first round. Martin is already 23 years old. He should be better than the guys he's lining up against. I'm a bit skeptical of guys who redshirt. If I think I'm getting a special talent he should be underaged or average age, with room to improve. Martin's butt is wider than his shoulders. Not an imposing frame. Very good technician but I don't see the run blocking explosion. On one short yardage play today he was easily ridden down the line and pushed a bit into the backfield. I think he's a guard above tackle. No denying he's better than the guys we have but I don't see how he's much above players we could have had much later last season, like Brian Schwenke.

* The Princeton defensive tackle looked intriguing. Blew past Brandon Linder for a sack after getting a sack on the previous play on the opposite side

The Princeton DT did himself very well, beating two different players on back to back plays for sacks.

This game was basically another demonstration of SEC dominance. Ford and Sam both showed well as just about everyone on the South's front 7 did.

The Carr kid is the real deal at QB. Fales looked pretty good too. I love his funky delivery. It has a Philip Rivers quality about it.

Dee Ford cheated the snap just about every play he made. The pros wont be so easy for him in that regard, but still get off is impressive.

Martin was fine. He pulled alot but in the direction away from play so I am not sure you can take anything to the bank with OL from these games with bland set ups. Defense is easier to play in games like this aside from conference.

I was watching the Oline alot.

Kadeem Edwards didnt screw up much at all and had his mits on his guy every time.

Linder opened up huge holes and went downfield as well very nice. His blemish came against Caroun Reid but he killed Richardson too.

Like Chris Boreland. I am sold he is Zach jr. Reads plays well and caused fumble on screen pass. He made the FB whiff and went right past the block effortlessly.

Liked what I saw from the WV RB.

Was looking at Fedoriwicz at TE alot. He was open at times and not getting thrown to. Decent blocker. Happy Gilmore the other TE obviously looked better in this game. Went up bigtime for high ball and came down with it. Deep TE draft for sure now.

oh, Morgan Moses has become a guy we could use at LT but RT first year depending on situation.

Martin was fine. He pulled alot but in the direction away from play so I am not sure you can take anything to the bank with OL from these games with bland set ups. Defense is easier to play in games like this aside from conference.

Yes, Martin did fine but I'm looking for rare ability for a high to mid first round pick, and I don't see it in Martin. That's the concern. I see very impressive smarts and attention to detail.

His frame irks me. The other day he sat on the panel with Mayock and the NFL Network guys. Shoulders didn't even look like a tight end, let alone a tackle. I question if he's maxed out.

I'd like that type of player in the second round, not the first round. That's what I'm saying. I haven't seen enough at guard. Maybe he's a first round guard. I don't think he's a first round left tackle. Too many elite NFL guys will overmatch him.

martins the best player on the field...the holding call he got up against van noy who didnt show much other than as a rusher was horse ****...frankly martin looked better at left tackle than guard...both though he showed well

no way around it aaron donald was dominant in one on one...bull rushed a good damn guard in jackson into the backfield split a late double just explosive...but what teams will do is if he starts making hay they will just double him at the snap with a guard and center and nullify his impact...those short arms will matter when he's getting doubled from the jump

the tackle turner athletically fits what we want but the kid stops moving his feet too damn much and then leans...if he learns to move his feet more which are good he will be a solid pro...if not he will be an inconsistent one...

seantrel henderson again showed me nothing

matt borlands instincts are high end he will find the football...his zone awareness isn't great and he will give up catches but he will be there to make the tackle immediately...had he played all game no doubt in my mind he would have had 15 tackles...

the iowa lb kerksley i think his name is played a lot at the los this year as a pass rusher he shows pretty solid lb play off the line as well...barrow for lsu is interesting to me also but not as instinctual...christian jones i think is a pro as well

rashede hageman will get drafted by a 34 team as a 5 tech and they better hope the motor runs hot...cause he puts together too many coasting snaps...

at safety lsus craig loston is a player i can get behind...the northern illinois kid showed well also and i still got a thing for deon buccannon...

miami better lock up corner in free agency cause impact scheme fits are few and far between at least in the senior class...

the colorado st center richburg shows well pretty good player there as does the colorado st tight end who is a long strider that gets down the field well for a solid blocker...i think he's undervalued somewhat

you guys can have cj fedorewicz or whatever his name is at tight end he's run of the mill pretty much and bad in line...overrated

at rb charles sims, andre fluellen and taliaferro who was a murderous pass pro guy during the week all showed well to me...

the michigan kid schofield got run at guard and for as new as he was to it not bad all things considered...not much of a move guys player though on the inside...

wr kevin norwood is a pro but he's probably a last guy on your roster one or a #3...not what would interest me for us

the dt from princeton is someone i spoke about in the vip chat during the week as showing explosive qualities...his first sack was a 3 step drop against cyril richardson where the ball must come out quickly logan thomas held it and thus the sack occurred...richardson with some solid work trap blocking during the game but i think now he's a more power scheme fit even if he isn't a overpowering mauler guy...he flat dumped the dt mccullers on his ass on one snap...

as for that hold it on a 3 step drop with logan thomas i have seen that from tannehill also...must learn the ballmust come out can't try to get to your 2nd read on those quick calls...

dee fords best quality is how he gets off the snap of the ball...yeah he jumped it a couple times but that guy gets off the ball damn well...if only dion jordan did that length and stride with that kind of get off the snap would be nasty...fords a 34 olb all the way and miamis not in the pass rush edge market anyways so no point...if anything they would be in the poa run defender 43 de market given how poorly the ends played the run in 2013 but i doubt they are in any of it...could adjust that number some by giving odrick some spell run down run at times next year if they wanted to...and shelby is developing rather well even if there is no high end real upside there rush wise

will sutton if he keeps shaving weight is gonna be a handful...he put together some nice snaps...and the more weight he drops the more explosive he will get...you havent seen explosive at dt if you havent seen his 2012 tape more in the low 290 range...

trent murphy jack of many trades master of none...not a 43 de not explosive enough to be a impact 34 olb pass rusher...instincts are good but i think he's a classic overachiever at the next level...might depend on the coaching staff as to what you get from him...

michael sam only good thing he does is run the wide corner...situational rusher only pro imo...

brandon linder shows like average athlete and just a guy...

Last edited by a moderator:
Martin probably is the best player at the Senior Bowl, but he wasn't the player of the game. Have to give that to Dee Ford, with honorable mention to Loston, Gilmore, and the kid from Princeton

yeah and dee ford can thank that get off at the snap for the hardware if they do give the game mvp one

Anyone know if this is getting a re-show on NFL network as I missed it over here.

Thanks

oh, Morgan Moses has become a guy we could use at LT but RT first year depending on situation.

I was looking at Morgan Moses and found a couple of videos showing every offensive snap from a couple of UVa games in 2011 and 2012. Turned out to be counterproductive as I became more interested in trying to figure out if Bill Lazor knew what the hell he was doing than watching Moses. :lol:

I was looking at Morgan Moses and found a couple of videos showing every offensive snap from a couple of UVa games in 2011 and 2012. Turned out to be counterproductive as I became more interested in trying to figure out if Bill Lazor knew what the hell he was doing than watching Moses. :lol:

please pm me where you found that...and also that other thing from the other day if you know what i mean

Back
Top Bottom