2015 double up on running backs | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2015 double up on running backs

gregorygrant83

Active Roster
Reaction score
I know for some people it's way too early to think about the 2015 draft, but I would like to see the team double up on running backs and linebackers next year. I'm wondering if the Dolphins did draft a young running tandem who would the fans like to see. I have a few that I like depending on what price range you're looking at. I like a combination of Todd Gurley and Duke Johnson or Ty Yeldon and Kenny Hillard (lsu) if you want to use early picks on the position. If you want to wait a bit I like Tra Carson (texas a&m) and Ameer Abdullah (nebraska). And if you want look later maybe take Abdullah and then take a flier on Marcus Coke (stoney brook/ formerly at iowa).

There are close to 10 backs that should be in the 2015 draft that could really help Miami. I really like the contrast in style between Carson, who is a bull, and the jitterbug style of Abdullah. Abdullah reminds me a bit of Lesean McCoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Karlos Williams performs like I think he will at FSU, I would be fine taking him in the first round. If we got him after the first, it would just be a bonus. He is an absolute beast! I expect him to challenge for the Heisman. As far as lb, I would have to study that one.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Next year is going to be a great year for RB's....

I really like the kid out of Wisconsin (Gordan) and there are about 5 -6 who are better then everyone in this past class

I have a feeling Safety might be high on our list as well, we are very fragile at that position!!

As of now I would agree but Lord only knows what needs might appear b/w now and then.

On paper, I think the only two position units that are below average for the Dolphins are linebacker (bottom third in the league, maybe bottom five) and running back (slightly below average). I was somewhat surprised that Miami didn't draft a running back this year, but looking ahead it seems like a great draft class coming up for running back. I could see the team going that way, even in the 1st round.

Does anyone know who the top linebackers are projected to be?

We need a powerful back as a compliment to Miller. Moreno was a nice addition, but he may not work out long term.

It all depends, I suppose, what you're satisfied with. If you're trying to beat the Jets, maybe it's enough. But if you're looking to be a championship team, then look at those teams - they have dominant RB's on the roster. And the 49ers this past draft just drafted a premium RB to replace Gore, they're already thinking ahead.

Here's Miami, New Orleans, San Francisco and Seattle, for example.

MIL373118-1.jpg
SPR711296-1.jpg
GOR411171-1.jpg
LYN442976-1.jpg

177 Carries 53 Carries 276 Carries 301 Carries

The average yards per carry for all of them are not that different. But the 1st downs and points are. Despite Sproles' modest 53 carries he scored 24 points for his team. Lamar scored 12 points with more than double the carries. The other 2 RB's scored 50 and 80 points for their teams, respectively. The chart didn't have percentage of 1st downs based on carries, so I did the math. Lamar achieved a rushing first down in about 14.6 percent of his carries, Sproles in 20.7 percent of carries, Gore in 20 percent and Lynch in 22.5 percent.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/headtohead...yerThree=Frank+Gore&playerFour=Marshawn+Lynch

I think Miller will have better stats this season, if Lazor is successful at what he's trying to implement. But this is just regular season we're comparing, when you're into the playoffs you have to ramp it up a notch, and if the talent on the roster is not there you won't advance.

Back
Top Bottom