2016 NFL Draft Prospects | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2016 NFL Draft Prospects

33.ILB Tyler Matakevich Temple 6-0 232

STRENGTHS: The unquestioned leader of the Owls, Matakevich doesn't play with hesitation, showing terrific first step quickness and anticipation to read and react with little wasted movement. He takes smart angles with strong hands to make finger-tip tackles and take-on blocks, shedding to unglue himself from bodies.
Matakevich has terrific timing as a blitzer (four sacks) and plays like a controlled mad man, hitting another gear once he sees red. He also does a nice job floating in zone coverage to attack throwing lanes and break up throws .
WEAKNESSES: Matakevich isn't physically impressive with average size and athleticism, although he makes up for his lack of quick-twitch change of direction with smart movements. He will be overaggressive at times and abandon run lanes, biting on play fakes and struggling to make off-balanced tackles.
IN OUR VIEW: Matakevich is extremely physical, which will work against him at times, but his football awareness and hustle jump off the screen as the unquestioned leader of one of the country's top defenses.
Player Overview
After high school, Matakevich attended a prep school for one season where he was discovered by Temple's Matt Rhule, who was in his first season as head coach of the Owls. Matakevich made an instant impact as a true freshman, playing in every game and becoming the first freshman in school history to record 100 tackles.
He is now a four-year starter and has the most career tackles by any active player in the FBS. If he reaches 100 tackles in 2015 (currently at 65), Matakevich will be the seventh defender in FBS history with four straight 100-tackle seasons.
"Mat is the heart and soul of that defense, everything goes through him," an NFC North executive told NFLDraftScout.com. "That's something that shows up on film and during practice. He knows his physical limitations, but works like the devil to max out all of his senses. You don't have as much production as he has just by accident."
Matakevich said that while he has been productive since stepping onto the field with the Owls, he has grown significantly as a football player.
"I now better understand the prep that you need on Saturdays, it takes so much time," he told NFLDraftScout.com. "Most don't see all the work, just the results. They don't see the work during the week, the practice, the time in the film room. The hard work is the biggest thing I've learned."
Matakavich also knows his competitive fire will be seen as an asset to scouts.
"People follow me as an example," he said. "I think I have a knack for getting things done and so people follow and ask how I do it. I'm not a screamer or yeller, I like my actions speak. It's something I've done my whole life and something I take pride in."
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1983609/tyler-matakevich

Combine Results:
Height:6'
Weight:238
Arm:31 1/4
Hand:9 1/2
40(1st):4.81
10yd(1st):1.68
40(2nd):4.83
10yd(2nd):1.66
Bench:22
Vertical:31"
Broad:9'4"
3-Cone:7.19
Short Shuttle:4.50

[video=youtube;fGqkcf75JRs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGqkcf75JRs[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
29.OG Landon Turner North Carolina 6-3 325

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1824165/landon-turner

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=119370&draftyear=2016&genpos=OG

[video=youtube;DzSwGMX8ovM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzSwGMX8ovM[/video]

I tried to like Landon Turner several weeks ago and I just couldn't. Great size, but I don't see a guy playing with the power that he should have or a high level of athleticism. Lunging, doesn't seem to really drive into DL or have good reflexes, lacks pop in run game when he should be pancaking guys and looks to me like he would be a liability in pass pro. Looks like Tarzan plays like Jane type- that may be a bit overdone, but there's this element of Dallas Thomas to him- he can look ok on one play then whiff, miss a block, not really him lay into a guy like a David Decastro or for my money Joshua Garnett would. Turner strikes me as the type of fool's gold that previous Dolphins regimes would go for, I hope that we steer clear of him. I'd take Garnett or Christian Westerman ahead of Turner any day.

34.OLB Noah Spence Eastern Kentucky 6-3 261

STRENGTHS: Fluid, balanced athlete with smooth lateral quickness and change of direction ability to avoid blocks. Spence gets upfield quickly with his first step burst and closes fast, staying low to the ground with above average coordination. Wins the corner and controls his momentum extremely well with his natural leverage giving him an added advantage. Displays deadly dip to flatten to the quarterback.
Spence is a versatile front-seven defender, lining up at left and right end, standing up or putting his hand on the ground. He appears comfortable on his feet and has dropped in space enough to show that he can do it.
WEAKNESSES: Spence's documented history with an addiction to Ecstacy led to his being banned by the Big Ten permanently and a stint in a drug rehabilitation program. He transferred to Eastern Kentucky and passes numerous drug tests, but that history will be a prime focus during pre-draft interviews and some teams will remove him from their boards entirely.
Needs to improve his snap discipline and anticipation. Needs to show heavier hands to jolt blockers at the point of attack, struggling to consistently convert speed to power. He has a light anchor and can be moved by blockers and his lack of height hinders his backfield vision at times.
Needs to improve his instincts and experience in coverage, especially with several teams with a 3-4 base defense scouting him as a stand-up linebacker. Needs to improve his functional strength, play with more of a mean streak and keep his nose clean.
IN OUR VIEW: A true wild-card prospect, Spence has first-round talent, there is no question about that. But the former Ohio State Buckeye has a history of drug abuse, although he has cleaned up his habits since being banned from the Big Ten.
Spence is a slippery rusher with the lateral quicks and low pad level to be an impact pass rusher in the NFL.
Player Overview
Spence displayed first-round talent at Ohio State, but was banned by the Big Ten for repeated failed drug tests and ended up at Eastern Kentucky in 2015.
Spence was coach Urban Meyer's first five-star recruit to commit to the Buckeyes and was the team leader in sacks as a first-year starter in 2013 at Ohio State. He finished the season with 52 tackles, 14.5 tackles for loss and 8.0 sacks over his 12 starts.
Spence's outstanding sophomore season led to All-Big Ten accolades and he was also named Academic All-Big Ten. However, he tested positive for a banned substance at the Big Ten title game and was suspended for the Orange Bowl and the first two games of 2014.
He claimed the failed test was due to someone slipping something into his drink, but the problem turned out to be far more severe - as he would later admit to having an issue with the drug Ecstacy since high school. Spence tested positive for Ecstacy again in September of 2014 and was permanently banned from the Big Ten after his appeal was denied.
Spence admitted to his teammates that he had a problem with Ecstacy and Meyer set him up with a drug-treatment program connected to the hospital at Ohio State that September. He graduated from the program and focused on school and conditioning.
Spence said he forced himself to watch Ohio State win the national title in January 2015, and claims that was a turning point for him in terms of football.
"I will never in my life forget that feeling," Spence told FoxSports.com in October. "That feeling right there is always in my head whenever I do anything because I know I don't ever want to go back again, hit rock bottom -- and I know I won't be back there ever again because I will always have that feeling in my mind."
Rather than declare early for the NFL Draft and hope a team took a late-round flyer on his immense skillset, Spence transfered to FCS program Eastern Kentucky after Meyer connected him with coach Dean Hood. He resumed his playing career and dominated - albeit largely against a lower level of competition.
"I felt like I hadn't proven enough off the field and that I needed more time to show everybody that you could be a better person off the field and to show that that wasn't me -- and that I can go for the rest of my life and be a straight-forward great person, and that I can do that, starting with disciplining myself enough to go down a level and not be ignorant and try and go straight to the NFL," Spence told FoxSports.com.
He is still learning how to put together a consistent pass rush sequence, but it's all there athletically for Spence to be a highly coveted NFL prospect. He will certainly have to answer many questions about his drug history and there will be some teams that take him off their draft boards entirely.
"I just want to show the world that I am a better person than when I left Ohio State," he said.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1983799/noah-spence

Combine Results:
Height:6'2"
Weight:251
40(1st):4.80
Bench:25

[video=youtube;6GP-YTkbz_o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GP-YTkbz_o[/video]

I'd prefer Collins over Henry. Also I think Reuben Foster would be a much better 2nd round pick than Ragland being a 1st. I think he'll be better in the NFL. Much better coverage skills

I'd prefer Collins over Henry. Also I think Reuben Foster would be a much better 2nd round pick than Ragland being a 1st. I think he'll be better in the NFL. Much better coverage skills

Interesting..So if Foster is the pick in round 2 who do you have in round 1?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

35.CB Vernon Hargreaves Florida 5-11 199

STRENGTHS: It is hard not to gush about Hargreaves as he combines quickness, balance and route-recognition to excel in coverage with rare physicality and open-field tackling ability to be just as effective in run support and when blitzing off the corner. He possesses good size for the position with a compact, athletic frame.
When lining up in press man coverage, Hargreaves gets a stiff initial punch in on the receiver at the snap and shows good balance and light feet dropping into coverage, fluidly changing direction and the acceleration to remain in the hip pocket of receivers. He's equally effective in off coverage, reading the quarterback's eyes and breaking quickly downhill to disrupt passes. Hargreaves' lack of height is mitigated by impressive body control, timing and competitiveness in jump-ball situations. He possesses excellent hand-eye coordination to slap the ball away as it arrives as well as good hands for the interception (six in two seasons).
Scouts will also appreciate that unlike some of the other highly regarded defensive backs throughout the country, Hargreaves is far from just a cover corner. He's very aggressive in run support, fighting his way through blocks and showing zero hesitation in taking on bigger ballcarriers. On most occasions, Hargreaves makes the effective stop, often significantly cutting short the yards gained in impressive fashion.
WEAKNESSES: An inch or two shorter than scouts would prefer. Hargreaves can get himself in trouble by attacking ballcarriers too high, clawing at the football while 'rassling opponents to the ground rather than wrapping up and driving them to the turf. He also takes such aggressive angles in pursuit that he can be forced to lunge at ballcarriers, occasionally missing as he swipes at their legs.
IN OUR VIEW: With another strong season in 2015, Hargreaves will likely consider making the early leap to the NFL, where he could prove to be the highest drafted defensive back from Florida since the Cleveland Browns made Joe Haden the No. 7 overall pick in 2010.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2079755/vernon-hargreaves-iii

Combine Results:
Height:5'10''
Weight:204
Arm:30 5/8
Hand:8 3/4
40(1st):4.41
10yd(1st):
40(2nd):4.43
Bench:15
Vertical:39"

[video=youtube;U2tzI9O4vxs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2tzI9O4vxs[/video]

Interesting..So if Foster is the pick in round 2 who do you have in round 1?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ramsey, Nkemdiche, Hargreaves, Ashawn Robinson, or Bpa if those are gone

So far from what I've seen, my top 4 picks would go like:

1- Emmanuel Ogbah*, DE, Oklahoma State. Can learn from the best in Wake, if we are going to resign OV we will probably lose Shelby so adding a pass rusher that can also play the run would be a solid addition.

2. Jeremy Cash, S, Duke. Play maker, good size at 6'2 205, we like to have interchangeable safties so I can see him or Reshad Jones in the box or deep.

3. Joe Schobert, OLB, Wisconsin. Koa Misi's replacement at SOLB, can rush the passer pretty well and can drop back into coverage.

4. Jake McGee, TE, Florida. Cameron's potential replacement if we move on from him. 6'6 250 good seam threat

As for O-line, I'm thinking our new swing tackle will be Billy Turner, our back up guard/center will be Jamil Douglas, and we will sign a guard in FA as well as draft a later round guy to compete with Douglas for the LG spot.

Joe is an excellent pass rusher. I don't see him as ever being a guy who can be relied on to do very much in the run game in the NFL.

Adding weight and proper development, I definitely could see some strides in that area of his game.

Great thread, DKphin. Thanks for all the work here. :up:

36.FS Jalen Mills LSU 6-0 196

STRENGTHS: Described by his teammates as an extra coach on the field, Mills is a balanced athlete who gains proper positioning in coverage, quickly locating and getting his hands on downfield passes.
WEAKNESSES: He needs to be more consistent as a run defender with too many missed opportunities on his game film, misjudging angles in the middle of the field and failing to always finish once he makes contact. Mills recently suffered a fractured fibula in practice and will be sidelined the first few weeks of the 2015 season, which is unfortunate for LSU and scouts because Mississippi State and Auburn are on the schedule in September.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1984271/jalen-mills

Mills (6-foot, 194 pounds), who has had legal trouble, started at cornerback for two seasons before moving to safety this season, and his versatility will be a selling point. Collins (6-2, 198) has excellent size. Mills (6-foot-0, 194 pounds) started at cornerback as a freshman in 2012, and for 12 of the Tigers' 13 games last season; he started at safety in the Outback Bowl win over Iowa. He was the Tigers' third-leading tackler last season with 67 and tied for the team lead with three interceptions.
He is one of two returning starters in LSU's secondary, joining sophomore cornerback Tre'Davious White. Mills and senior Ronald Martin are a potentially dynamic tandem at safety. Mills has excellent coverage skills for safety and has been strong in run support throughout his career. Martin is an excellent athlete who was a part-time starter last season, and appears finally to have fully grasped the defensive scheme.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...leaving-for-draft-jalen-mills-might-leave-too

LSU cornerback Jalen Mills spent Tuesday night and most of Wednesday in jail on a charge of second degree battery of a woman in his apartment complex here on May 4, according to Baton Rouge Police.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ills-arrested-second-degree-battery/10321809/

Combine Results:
Height:6'
Weight:191
Arm:31 1/8
Hand:9 1/8
40(1st):4.65
10yd(1st):1.62
40(2nd):4.62
10yd(2nd):1.58
Bench:16
Vertical:37"
Broad:10'3''
3-Cone:6.86
Short Shuttle:4
60yd Shuttle:11.53

[video=youtube;PBIs7x47Ptc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBIs7x47Ptc[/video]

37.QB Carson Wentz NDSU 6-5 232

STRENGTHS: Looks the part with a tall, workable frame. Good arm strength to deliver downfield with required velocity. Tight release, especially for a player with his long arms. Shifts his weight well in the pocket to work through the noise and keep his hand on the trigger, maneuvering under duress with improved footwork. Functional athleticism and coordination in the pocket and as a scrambler, avoiding rushers and extending plays. Has a pre-snap plan and moves efficiently from target-to-target, making sound decisions. Shows the ability to recognize defensive coverages and change the play at the line ? reliable field vision pre and post snap.
Very smart on and off the field with excellent retention and execution skills. Physically and mentally tough with professional poise and work habits. Great teammate and was an extra coach on the sideline while injured. Set school single season records for completions (228) and passing yards (3,111) as a junior. Consistent winner with a 19-3 career record as a starter.
WEAKNESSES: Locks onto reads and needs to develop his eye use, staring down targets and leading defenders. Needs to improve his passing anticipation and feel for timing routes. Downfield accuracy is inconsistent, often leading receivers too far.
Bad habit of pre-determining throws and forcing the ball into tight coverage. Needs to understand when the play is over and throw the ball away (10 fumbles the last two years). On the move too much, even with a clean pocket, and will attempt throws without setting his base or coming to balance.
Lacks ideal starting experience for the position with questions about level of competition ? 21 of 22 career starts came against FCS competition (one FBS opponent was at Iowa State: 18-for-28 for 204 yards, no touchdowns). Missed second half of 2015 season due to a broken right wrist, requiring surgery (Oct. 2015).
IN OUR VIEW: Although his internal clock needs maturing, Wentz performs well within structure, but can also improvise when the play breaks down, stretching out his legs to pick up chunk yardage if it?s there (949 career rushing yards). He possesses a NFL-style skill-set with his size, athleticism and arm talent, including the field vision to work through reads and make sound decisions. Wentz ideally needs a redshirt rookie.
Player
Overview
A two-year starter, Wentz thrived in North Dakota State's wide-open offense, taking snaps from under center and shotgun with several pro-style reads, including left-to-right and high-to-low progressions. Although he didn't consistently face top competition at the FCS level, Wentz performed well in high pressure situations, including the 2014 FCS National Championship Game. He was only a 5-foot-8, 125-pound freshman in high school and didn't start at quarterback until his senior year, causing him to go under-recruited (similar path as Ben Roethlisberger).
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1907522/carson-wentz

Combine Results:
Height:6'5''
Weight:237
Arm:33 1/4
Hand:10
40(1st):4.78
10yd(1st):1.67
40(2nd):4.79
10yd(2nd):1.66
Vertical:30.5
Broad:9'10"